Horrid DL speeds when hooked thru my router -- w/o router it's full speed

Quintox

Limp Gawd
w/o router I get about 3.1mbps using speakeasy.com speedtest. When I plug in either Belkin router I have (Wireless G or Wireless N), both get me about 1/8 of that speed, around 250 kbps.

What in the world is going on here? Browsing the internet seems fine, but downloads are like dial up, and Xbox Live is randomly kicking me all the time. Packet loss maybe?

This is extremely annoying and I can't figure out what is going on. I've updated firmware, turned off router firewall, opened port for Xbox, etc.

It's driving me insane, what can I do? Will a new router (brand) fix this?

No, I am NOT using any P2P apps

Belkin = shit. Never had good luck with them. You've done all the right things but sound like the router doesn't wanna play nice. Toss it and buy something better.*pets D-Link DGL 4300*

Belkin routers are trash. I was staying with fiancee while she was house sitting. I couldn't get a usable signal (was at 25%) with my ps3 from their router downstairs. It was barely 100ft from it. I was able to get a stronger signal from their next door neighbor through 2 brick walls and a 7 foot air gap. Who knows how far away from that outside wall the router might of been.

When you are connected to the router are you wired or wireless? If wired have you tried changing the LAN port you are plugged into? When you plug directly into the modem are you using the same cable as when you plug into the router?

Those are the only other things I can think of to check that you haven't done already or mentioned in your post at least. If you do all that and the issue persists then it is time to toss the Belkin and get something else. Check the Router Recommendations sticky post for replacement options.

Belkin routers are trash. I was staying with fiancee while she was house sitting. I couldn't get a usable signal (was at 25%) with my ps3 from their router downstairs. It was barely 100ft from it. I was able to get a stronger signal from their next door neighbor through 2 brick walls and a 7 foot air gap. Who knows how far away from that outside wall the router might of been.

It could have been on that wall, making your dramatic rant even less meaningful!

If you really were 100ft away thats plenty to screw up any 802.1g signal in a 'big house', as for routers I dont have experience with the Belkin variety but I also wouldn't recommend D-Link...

its a larger house, but its a 2 story, I was on the second floor, the router was on the first floor on the opposite side of the house.

How about this this then: My laptop couldn't connect when I was in one part of the same room as the ps3, when I moved 5 feet to my left I was just BARELY able to get a solid connection at B speeds. This is from an N router (I was using G). Also that was using my buffalo higher power cardbus adapater. My proxim silver card and internal Intel ABG wireless were unable to maintain a solid connection with it. Straight line distance to this (through wooden floor and 1 door) and the router was 100ft or less.

I tried repositioning the antennas on the router and it didnt help at all.

The belkin router just sucked. I can get a longer range of my D-link with the stock antenna it had (let alone my slighly higher gain one). My Netgear Rangmax gets even better than than that.

Dramatic or not I should at least get something better than 23-27% when im the SAME HOUSE (no microwaves or tvs on or anything) as the router, as opposing to 62% through 2 brick walls and the average 7-9 foot gap between houses.

Hell that belkin sucked in the config menu too, I tried to get in to change the channel once or twice to see if that would help, the router would just lock up (i was hard wired to it for this). The only thing going for the belkin was its geust AP mode which can be enabled to create a second "virtual" ap for geusts to use so they dont have access to the wired lan or other wireless clients.

For another point of reference, their desktop upstairs with a PCI wireless card wasn't able to connect either. They build a newer computer and put a USB linksys N adapter downstairs. It was just 2 rooms away (50 ft. or so) through a kitchen wall and it got 50-70% signal.

Back