Horrible connection quality with Linksys WRT610N router and Linksys WMP600N

silent-circuit

[H]F Junkie
Hating this so far -- I'm going to be calling Linksys to see if I can get a replacement for the card assuming I don't get an answer here.

The connection quality of the WMP600N is horrible. My laptop gets a full 54MBps G link from the same room with its internal Intel WiFi link. So does my fiancee's Lenovo S10 netbook. The 600N gets 1, maybe 2 bars, and the resulting link is both slow and unreliable. It drops regularly, and when it doesn't drop there are lag spikes.

What is going on here? I've tried N at the 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, and mixed bands (with no G clients), tried putting the G clients on their own radio and leaving the 600N on the 5Ghz radio. Nothing. Connection quality, reliability, and speed all remain horrible.

I've read reviews (after buying the card -- very unlike me) and they're all terrible. Is this just dreadful hardware? It's their top, top end consumer wireless card. The only consumer dual-band card they offer, so far as I know. What's going on here?

I had one for a while and it gave me good signal quality and decent connection rate but the throughput was still super low. My laptop could achieve over 800 MBps over wireless (intel 5100 AGN), while the card could only do 200Mbps.

It perplexes me to this day and I haven't had the time to really figure it out yet.

I'll be calling them tomorrow with some time to waste, and hopefully if I spend enough time on the phone with them I can get a replacement out of it -- as I understand there's Rev 2 hardware out there now and mine is Rev 1 (I'd love to just return it but I bought it months ago, so that's out of the question).

First time I've ever been this severely disappointed with a Linkysys product... and I certainly didn't go cheap (nearly $300 between the router and card at the time of purchase) so I'm doubly disappointed. They shouldn't put such shoddy stuff out under a respected name like that. If it's not well resolved I'll probably go ASUS or something for networking equipment from now on.

I'll be calling them tomorrow with some time to waste, and hopefully if I spend enough time on the phone with them I can get a replacement out of it -- as I understand there's Rev 2 hardware out there now and mine is Rev 1 (I'd love to just return it but I bought it months ago, so that's out of the question).

First time I've ever been this severely disappointed with a Linkysys product... and I certainly didn't go cheap (nearly $300 between the router and card at the time of purchase) so I'm doubly disappointed. They shouldn't put such shoddy stuff out under a respected name like that. If it's not well resolved I'll probably go ASUS or something for networking equipment from now on.

I think the WRT54G/GL/GS series was their last good consumer product. I think you should try out the D-Link DIR-655 router.

I think the WRT54G/GL/GS series was their last good consumer product. I think you should try out the D-Link DIR-655 router.

The WRT610N is a fine router... it's the card I have the biggest issue with. The thing was nearly $80 and it's the single worst piece of networking equipment I've ever dealt with. I have no idea how I could "do it wrong", I've dealt with plenty of wireless adapters, many networks. Drivers are up to date and all that. It's not that far from the router. Other wireless devices work fine and get very strong signals in the exact same place.

Guys,

I actually got this to work without any editing of the system to make the card connect at the higher speeds. The way to fix it is the frequency's. You must make sure your card WMP600N and WRT610N are communicating correctly and if you just bought that router, make sure you update the firmware, without the firmware update it won't work. Also the driver for the 600N card should be 7/72009. Set the frequency for 2.4Ghz mode to 20Mhz only and also the 5Ghz to frequency 20MHz. They will work, however if this doesn't work for you, you have to play around with the frequency's because there could be distance and interference issues depending upon your setup. But it does work I promise.

I'll mess around with it, but I can see from your sig that you're getting 130mbps at 60 ft and we should be doing a lot better than that.

Back