Horizon Zero Dawn (Rumor)

Derangel

[H]ard as it Gets
Actually the risk is that there are lots of people who only buy consoles to play exclusives. This sends the message that you don't have to do that and suffer games with a controller. I was already a year late when playing HZD, a few more doesn't matter. Had I knew it will eventually come out for PC, I'd have been crazy to buy a console.
Many of those people would still buy a console because most of them don't want a gaming PC or they don't want to wait years for a port. Horizon is almost three years old, that's a long time to wait especially when it will likely cost a lot more than what you could find it for on consoles at this point. The amount of people that wouldn't buy a console (a thing Sony makes very little profit on) of these games isn't as big as people seem to think. Even if it was a few hundred thousand people, that's nothing compared to the tens of millions of units consoles sell and that's still several hundred thousand people buying the game, some of which may not have bothered to do so until they could get a console and game for super cheap.

Flogger23m

[H]ardForum Junkie
You vastly overestimate the number of people that have both.
Personally if I could wait 2-3 years I would skip the consoles. Less hardware to worry about (space is an issue) and I get a better experience overall. I'm more likely to buy a PS5 if I could only get PS4/5 exclusives on it. Without them I see zero reason to get a Playstation.

Derangel

[H]ard as it Gets
Personally if I could wait 2-3 years I would skip the consoles. Less hardware to worry about (space is an issue) and I get a better experience overall. I'm more likely to buy a PS5 if I could only get PS4/5 exclusives on it. Without them I see zero reason to get a Playstation.
I have no doubt several people on this forum (and similar ones) would be willing to wait. However, we're not exactly the general buying audience.

chameleoneel

2[H]4U
Actually the risk is that there are lots of people who only buy consoles to play exclusives. This sends the message that you don't have to do that and suffer games with a controller. I was already a year late when playing HZD, a few more doesn't matter. Had I knew it will eventually come out for PC, I'd have been crazy to buy a console.
HZD is 3 years old. There's no risk using this game as a test, so to speak.

chameleoneel

2[H]4U
I have no doubt several people on this forum (and similar ones) would be willing to wait. However, we're not exactly the general buying audience.
The funny thing is the mix of responses here, but also how they are a little different from what I was expecting.

Usually people poo at the idea of a really late PC release.

You were 1 year late and still at least 2 years before a rumored PC release. Playing a game 2 years ago is far from crazy.

Derangel

[H]ard as it Gets
The funny thing is the mix of responses here, but also how they are a little different from what I was expecting.

Usually people poo at the idea of a really late PC release.

You were 1 year late and still at least 2 years before a rumored PC release. Playing a game 2 years ago is far from crazy.
I think there is less pooing this time just because it's such an usual thing.

I've played HZD and it's expansion to death already, but I'd probably buy a PC version of it. Assuming the price is right and it's a good port. 60+ FPS Horizon with even better looking graphics, yes please.

vegeta535

2[H]4U
You know lot of people don't feel like they are suffering using a controlled and even prefer it. If find using a controller better for most games. It didn't hinder my enjoyment of HZD at all.

M76

[H]ardForum Junkie
You know lot of people don't feel like they are suffering using a controlled and even prefer it. If find using a controller better for most games. It didn't hinder my enjoyment of HZD at all.
Well it did for me, and every game I played with a controller was a living nightmare. So I use the console to play only the absolute exclusives, and it sits idle for months on end. I'd really like to avoid buying a ps5 if I can help it. I don't even care about the cost, just don't make me suffer another minute with a controller. I'd pay the price of a ps5 to not have to play with a controller.

M76

[H]ardForum Junkie
Detroit came out in December. I think it's an EGS exclusive.
That's exactly what I meant. I don't consider walled gardens like the MS store or Epic store as being on PC, the open free for all platform, that supports modding and gaming communities, and doesn't try to wrestle away control from the consumer.

Many of those people would still buy a console because most of them don't want a gaming PC
What does that have to do with anything? I'm speaking about people who only buy consoles for exclusives. Not console gamers who don't even own or want a PC.
When I bought a PS4 PRO and HZD I had no idea there is any fragment of a chance that it will ever come out for PC, if I even suspected, I'd have said screw this.

or they don't want to wait years for a port. Horizon is almost three years old, that's a long time to wait especially when it will likely cost a lot more than what you could find it for on consoles at this point.
If I had learned anything is that console games especially sony never drops prices that much. HZD goes for about $25 now retail. Even if the port came out for $60 $35 is a small price to pay compared to what the console costs, and the fact that I don't have to deal with it.

The amount of people that wouldn't buy a console (a thing Sony makes very little profit on) of these games isn't as big as people seem to think. Even if it was a few hundred thousand people, that's nothing compared to the tens of millions of units consoles sell and that's still several hundred thousand people buying the game, some of which may not have bothered to do so until they could get a console and game for super cheap.
I very much suspect that the "they don't make money on consoles" legend is a remnant of the PS3 era, and sony has been making good money on all variants of the PS4 especially the later optimized versions. But they like this urban legend, and do nothing to dispel it.
But if it is true then bringing exclusives to the PC could help them get rid of me, and I couldn't be happier than to be rid of them.

HZD is 3 years old. There's no risk using this game as a test, so to speak.
It's not about this specific game, It's the message it sends. Which is that exclusives are no longer perpetual, but timed. And if that's the case screw the PS5, I'm not buying it.

Derangel

[H]ard as it Gets
What does that have to do with anything? I'm speaking about people who only buy consoles for exclusives. Not console gamers who don't even own or want a PC.
When I bought a PS4 PRO and HZD I had no idea there is any fragment of a chance that it will ever come out for PC, if I even suspected, I'd have said screw this.

If I had learned anything is that console games especially sony never drops prices that much. HZD goes for about $25 now retail. Even if the port came out for $60 $35 is a small price to pay compared to what the console costs, and the fact that I don't have to deal with it.

I very much suspect that the "they don't make money on consoles" legend is a remnant of the PS3 era, and sony has been making good money on all variants of the PS4 especially the later optimized versions. But they like this urban legend, and do nothing to dispel it.
But if it is true then bringing exclusives to the PC could help them get rid of me, and I couldn't be happier than to be rid of them.

It's not about this specific game, It's the message it sends.
People who buy specific consoles for their exclusives are not automatically PC gamers. What you are trying to say is PC primary gamers that only buy a console for it's exclusive games. Though, that goes to my other points.

The Complete Edition of HZD is $20 retail. It's gone down to $10 during sales as well. Spider-man has also hit $20 before (both physical and digital). Sony doesn't drop prices super quickly, but they do regular sales and will drop prices over time, they're not Nintendo.

With the PS4 they're made a (likely VERY small) profit out of the gate, but that's the first time it's happened. Nintendo (and a small handful of others) aside, most consoles are sold at a loss for a while after release. Given where the rumored specs of next gen systems are leaning unless $600 is going to be the base console price Sony is likely going to take a loss per unit sold on the PS5 for a while.

What message is that? That they might port over an old game in the unlikely event that the engine it's one gets ported? If this rumor is true, I'd lean towards Death Stranding using Decima as the big reason for this happening. Unless Sony says otherwise, I wouldn't expect it to be some wild change in direction for the company (if this is even real in the first place).

limitedaccess

[H]ardness Supreme
With the PS4 they're made a (likely VERY small) profit out of the gate, but that's the first time it's happened. Nintendo (and a small handful of others) aside, most consoles are sold at a loss for a while after release. Given where the rumored specs of next gen systems are leaning unless $600 is going to be the base console price Sony is likely going to take a loss per unit sold on the PS5 for a while.
I want to address this a bit. There is a belief from some that this gens console were not sold at a loss at launch due to reports of the bill of materials estimate for the PS4 being slightly under the retail selling cost at launch. This is misleading because if the retailer is selling at the BOM cost there is in fact a loss being incurred throughout the chain at least somewhere as selling a product like that with effectively 0 margins means you aren't making back any fixed costs, ancillary costs (eg. Sony spent over $100m in advertising for the PS4 during its launch quarter) or covering distribution.

You'd probably need at least 30% margins on the hardware if that were actually expected to be profitable by itself.

M76

[H]ardForum Junkie
People who buy specific consoles for their exclusives are not automatically PC gamers. What you are trying to say is PC primary gamers that only buy a console for it's exclusive games. Though, that goes to my other points.
Gamers who only buy consoles for their exclusives are not pc gamers, but what? What else?
The Complete Edition of HZD is $20 retail. It's gone down to $10 during sales as well. Spider-man has also hit $20 before (both physical and digital). Sony doesn't drop prices super quickly, but they do regular sales and will drop prices over time, they're not Nintendo.
You're not addressing my point but argue $5 when the console costs $500.. It might be $20 where you live it is $25 where I do, that is besides the point.

Again you are not addressing the point. Sony made profit on the PS4 from the get go, and the profit they make on it just increased since. As for the ps5 that is conjecture at this point. If sony starts to go multi-platform with exclusives they'll sell less consoles. It doesn't matter how much less, but less, and why would they want to sell less?

What message is that? That they might port over an old game in the unlikely event that the engine it's one gets ported?
That it's worth waiting because exclusives might drop on PC later.
If this rumor is true, I'd lean towards Death Stranding using Decima as the big reason for this happening. Unless Sony says otherwise, I wouldn't expect it to be some wild change in direction for the company (if this is even real in the first place).
The only way I see this happening is if Sony declares it on no uncertain terms that this is a one-off occurrence, and unlikely to happen ever again with their first party exclusives.

Denpepe

[H]ard|Gawd
That may be true, but how many people have 3 copies of GTA V? The original version on PS3/xbox360 and later got the PS4/Xbox one version and later the PC version.

Sell an old exclusive on new platforms a while B4 launching a new exclusive and you might even drive sales up further since there is no way to know if or when it will get ported.

chameleoneel

2[H]4U
Its true that the PS4 hardware sold at a loss during launch. But it only took 6 months (May 2014) for Sony to announce that PS4 became profitable on a per hardware basis. A big point of the hardware and R&D choices for PS4 and Xbone, were to keep costs down relative to the previous generation, which was a very expensive one for hardware and software development.

Blade-Runner

2[H]4U
https://www.pcgamer.com/last-of-us-part-2-pc-rumours/

PlayStation developer Naughty Dog posted a job listing for a graphics programmer recently that has people wondering if Sony is giving up another exclusive. The role is attached to The Last of Us Part 2, which has only been announced on PS4, but the 'Requirements & Skills' section lists several things specific to PC.

The new graphics programmer would join Naughty Dog's rendering team and needs to have a "thorough understanding of current GPU architectures" including Nvidia. Experience with DirectX12 and Vulkan is also desired. Naughty Dog might be looking for candidates with broad experience, but it still seems odd to specifically list APIs and a GPU that you won't find in a PlayStation.

Horizon: Zero Dawn is rumoured to be making the leap, too, but it launched on PS4 three years ago, and it's still not been confirmed.

Domingo

[H]ard as it Gets
I think this is great news. I almost bought this game 2-3 different times but just never did for whatever reason. Now I can play it in 4K at 60fps with better graphics.

As far as controllers go, I love 'em. I grew up in the NES era. While I learned to play KB/M in the Quake era, I'd still rather use a pad whenever possible. In my case, that's everything except twitch shooters or something that's focused specifically on using a pointer.

ThatITGuy

Limp Gawd
I think permanent exclusives are illogical. The people who buy a console for an exclusive will have already bought the console and game to be able to play it. The argument that releasing a game on a different service 3 years after (or in the case of EGS 1 year) it was launched is somehow going to mean that people that had not bought the game for the 3 years prior to now are somehow now definitely not going to buy it because they can get it on a different service (and likely at full price, whereas by now the original release is bargain bin). The argument even ignores repeat sales, because some people loved it so much that they will buy it again on the new platform. Some people may buy a specific console for exclusives, but I would say that most people buy a console because they are cheaper/easier to maintain/more convenient than a PC.

Reaperkk

[H]ard|Gawd
I bought this game on ps4 and I haven't a had a chance to play it. If it does come out on pc I'll pick it up and play it there.

BeavermanA

2[H]4U
Hope this is true. Quite enjoyed the game, but didn't finish it on PS4 Pro. Trying to get the critical shots with a controller is painful, and I hated choosing between higher fps/awful graphics with terrible draw distances and a good looking game with low fps.

I love controllers for a lot of games, but if there's more than occasional aiming, it's usually m/kb time. Actually some, like GTA, I'll switch back and forth.

Just sold my PS4 last week too in prep for PS5. Less exclusives and I'll gladly stick to PC only.

Nolan7689

[H]ard|Gawd
This is really why I don't care when a game like this hits the PC. Playing games on consoles is like banging a three while wearing three condoms...
What? Then shouldn’t you care more when a game like this hits PC so you can feel like you’re barebacking a 8, but she has money.