Horizon Zero Dawn

I'm loving this game so far, but man the HDR thing is annoying. It's like they purposely made as many bright contrasty scenes as possible to show it off... which is awesome for a few minutes, but after an hour or two of playing, my eyes hurt. Literally, like they are watering a bit and irritated as if i'm having an allergic reaction.

Finally got around to beating this thing. What a fantastic freakin game.

Nice.. how many hours did you have in it? I'm only like 12 hours into it and like a level 16 or 17 and my last quest was the first cauldron where you upgrade your hacking tool thing. But I'm doing like every side quest I can before continuing the main quests and I got blazing suns on the first hunting range too before continuing on (that was fun). I've seen some say it's like a 30 hour game, but at my pace I can see me putting at least 40 in it before probably beating the main story quests.

It seems like you progress fairly quickly in this game as far as upgrades to your skills and equipment too, which I like. Like I'm barely outside of the Embrace (beginning area) and I've already unlocked like 1/4 of the skills and found the parts to buy the best outfits and weapons the traders can offer (so far - I'm assuming much better stuff will be available later).

I'm loving this game so far, but man the HDR thing is annoying. It's like they purposely made as many bright contrasty scenes as possible to show it off... which is awesome for a few minutes, but after an hour or two of playing, my eyes hurt. Literally, like they are watering a bit and irritated as if i'm having an allergic reaction.

Yeah, I'm playing with HDR disabled because my TV (Samsung KU7500) retardedly only has one HDMI 2.0 port and my PC using it for 4K/60Hz @ 4:4:4, so I have to plug my PS4 Pro into another input that I can't enable "UHD Color Mode" on, which is required to support HDR. But even with it disabled, the lighting differences get pretty crazy at times, esp. around evening time when Aloy has that reddish sun glow on her and I'm panning around the camera. But it hasn't been affecting my eyes the way you're describing at least and I'm sitting about 3ft from my TV.

Nice.. how many hours did you have in it? I'm only like 12 hours into it and like a level 16 or 17 and my last quest was the first cauldron where you upgrade your hacking tool thing. But I'm doing like every side quest I can before continuing the main quests and I got blazing suns on the first hunting range too before continuing on (that was fun). I've seen some say it's like a 30 hour game, but at my pace I can see me putting at least 40 in it before probably beating the main story quests.

It seems like you progress fairly quickly in this game as far as upgrades to your skills and equipment too, which I like. Like I'm barely outside of the Embrace (beginning area) and I've already unlocked like 1/4 of the skills and found the parts to buy the best outfits and weapons the traders can offer (so far - I'm assuming much better stuff will be available later).

Yeah, I'm playing with HDR disabled because my TV (Samsung KU7500) retardedly only has one HDMI 2.0 port and my PC using it for 4K/60Hz @ 4:4:4, so I have to plug my PS4 Pro into another input that I can't enable "UHD Color Mode" on, which is required to support HDR. But even with it disabled, the lighting differences get pretty crazy at times, esp. around evening time when Aloy has that reddish sun glow on her and I'm panning around the camera. But it hasn't been affecting my eyes the way you're describing at least and I'm sitting about 3ft from my TV.
About 30 hours, but I still have a TON of sidequests left to do. I was doing every side quest I came across and then finally said, "Fuck it. I need to beat this game or I'll never do it." I'll come back to it once the DLC hits.

Yeah, I'm playing with HDR disabled because my TV (Samsung KU7500) retardedly only has one HDMI 2.0 port and my PC using it for 4K/60Hz @ 4:4:4, so I have to plug my PS4 Pro into another input that I can't enable "UHD Color Mode" on, which is required to support HDR.

Sounds like you need a 4K HDMI A/V receiver.

Okay, hopefully finishing up the game tonight, last mission. . Got all the trophy's except the of course Platinum, All Allies Joined,, All Machines Catalogued, and for some reason the 10 Vulnerable Machines. I can't seem to get that one to pop. I read it happens when you fight the masses with a cannon. I have a save spot saved prior to the final mission.

I'm just now about to finish up the main quests quests, I think. Once I got to Meridian, I just went crazy doing everything except the main quests and am now Lv50 with the ancient armor and had not even done but a few of the main quests up to that point, lol. I did a few of them last night and am at the point now where I get Meridian gearing up to defend their city against the Eclipse. I've seen most people beating this game at around 30 hours in, but I have over 60 hours in it now and am only to that point in the story.

Okay, hopefully finishing up the game tonight, last mission. . Got all the trophy's except the of course Platinum, All Allies Joined,, All Machines Catalogued, and for some reason the 10 Vulnerable Machines. I can't seem to get that one to pop. I read it happens when you fight the masses with a cannon. I have a save spot saved prior to the final mission.

I've got a bunch of trophies just while playing the game, but haven't been looking them up to see what I've missed so far. I'm pretty sure once I beat it, I'll go back and see what else I'm missing and get the rest. I've never "platinum'd" a game before, but I'm assuming I'll have to beat this game again on the hardest difficulty to do it. Are you playing on the hardest difficulty on your first play-through? Can't you change the difficulty on this game on the fly mid-game as well? If so, I wonder what the criteria is to get that trophy; like if you could only do the end of the game on hard to get it? Hah.. doubt it'd be that easy though.

Finished it on Monday, got Platinum. Played all the way through on Hard, it was very fun. Get the special armor before attempting the hunter lodge trophy's it helped immensely. Pretty bad ass to have too.

No requirement on difficulty level, I heard Very Hard was insane. You can change difficulty on the fly. No trophy for difficulty.

Finished it on Monday, got Platinum. Played all the way through on Hard, it was very fun. Get the special armor before attempting the hunter lodge trophy's it helped immensely. Pretty bad ass to have too.

No requirement on difficulty level, I heard Very Hard was insane. You can change difficulty on the fly. No trophy for difficulty.

Nice, thanks. I got the Hunter Lodge trophy without the special armor actually. It wasn't too hard as long as I used the appropriate armor for the enemies I was facing. I had bought all the Shadow Carja armor pretty early in the game anyways and it's decent enough, esp since I was playing on normal difficulty. I'm sure it's a lot harder to on the hard difficulty though and can see that ancient armor being a bit more of a requirement there.

Just curious though; how many hours did you have in the game when you beat it and/or Platinum'd it?

Just curious though; how many hours did you have in the game when you beat it and/or Platinum'd it?

All done and said it was around 45hours. Pausing the game still runs the timer. I didn't leave it running while paused so its pretty accurate of time spent. I gathered everything and had about 80% of the audio, conversation, text files that are scattered about.

Beat the game last night. I didn't even realize that I was building alliances and recruiting people to fight in the last battle as I was doing side quests, hah. Good thing I did every damn errand and side quest in the game before finishing the main story.

I guess Sylens is going to end up being the antagonist in the sequel now? Or does he just plan on using Hades for more learning and information with no intention of using him again? Either way, that shit is going to get out again in the next game, hah.

It was cool seeing how/where Aloy's mom ended up too. I wonder if that area is available in-game too or if it was just for that scene?

Looks like I beat the game just in time too; they just released patch 1.30 with some new content including a New Game+!

Always nice to see new/free content in a game! I'll definitely be replaying this on Ultra Hard mode now, hah. Hopefully it'll be manageable with all the upgrades I got in my first play through (including that weave armor).

Looks like I beat the game just in time too; they just released patch 1.30 with some new content including a New Game+!

glad to see them continuing to add content...The Frozen Wilds DLC should be amazing and further cement the legacy of this game as not only GOTY but also potentially a Top 10 all time game

This makes me want to get the PRO just for this game and the new GOD. I don't have 4k HDR TV yet tho. How would it look on 1080p tv?

This makes me want to get the PRO just for this game and the new GOD. I don't have 4k HDR TV yet tho. How would it look on 1080p tv?
I started playing this on a 1080p TV. The downscaling from checkerboard 4K still makes a noticeable improvement.

Yeah, saw this a couple days ago when it was announced. Can't wait.. I'm about 2/3 way through my New Game+ on the new Ultra Hard difficulty and have acquired most of the new adept weapons and armor. I probably have at least 120 hours in this game now, hah. I'm guessing the new map will be about 1/3 of the size of the current map, which is still pretty large. I just wonder how this expansion will fit in chronologically with the current game; if it's before or after the end at least and if Sylens will make a return in it as well.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Based on the work they have done I'm guessing Frozen Wilds will be loaded to the nines. It's a full on expansion pack of sorts.

They likely want to get ready to move on to the presumed sequel. Fine by me. :)

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this game, can't wait for expansion! I usually get bored before completing games much less want to play an expansion, but this game is definitely top ten! Bloodborne and Witcher 3 are my other major completions and expansion playthroughs!

I'm surprised there wasn't any PS4/Pro Zero Dawn edition...I thought Sony always bundles their most popular games into a special PS4 version...I think there was one in Europe but not the USA...maybe holiday 2017?

Still haven't tried this game yet. The sealed case is at the top of my stack, though. Can't wait to play.

I'm surprised there wasn't any PS4/Pro Zero Dawn edition...I thought Sony always bundles their most popular games into a special PS4 version...I think there was one in Europe but not the USA...maybe holiday 2017?

I'd be in for one...looking to pick up a PS4 Pro before the end of the year for this game and Monster Hunter World in January.

I am not one to preorder, but if you are a PS+ subscriber, the expansion is $14.99 for preorder right now through the PS Store.

butt.jpg

Probing robot holes is a lot of fun, my only complaint with the game is it's sort of light on quests given how big the area is to explore there are quite a few areas that you could completely miss even when they clearly put effort into them.

View attachment 40216

Probing robot holes is a lot of fun, my only complaint with the game is it's sort of light on quests given how big the area is to explore there are quite a few areas that you could completely miss even when they clearly put effort into them.
I don't find that a bad thing. When it comes to doing quests my OCD kicks in and I have to do them all. I am fine with a few quality quests over a bunch of go here, kill x amount of enemies and other typical shit quests that they like to add to pad out a games length.

Yeah, I thought the amount of quests was adequate for the size of the map and area of the game. I'm a completionist in games like this, so I did all side quests that I could do before finishing the main story quest and had around 60 hours in it, I think. Then I found out that I missed a couple side quests still after I finished the game because I didn't get the trophy for having all allies for the final battle. I got that, along with the rest of the trophies on my 2nd play through in New Game+ though on the new ultra hard difficutly, which I only found it to be moderately hard since I was able to carry over all my upgrades and equipment from the first play through, hah.

Can't wait for the DLC.. I think I'm going to sub to PS+ for a month just to get the DLC for $15 ($5 savings) and essentially give me a month of PS+ for $5 and the few free games that come along with it. Since I don't play games online, I want PS+ for no other reason than for the free/discounted games they have every month, so I wish I could find a year prepaid card for $35 or so like I can for XBL a couple times a year.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Complete Edition announced

Announcing Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition launching December 5 for $49.99 MSRP. Includes The Frozen Wilds & all Digital Deluxe content...

Nice, kinda glad I waited to get a PS4 Pro I guess. Hoping for some kind of deal/bundle on them this winter.

Ha ha!!
Glad I waited.

Think it will ever end up on PS+ like MGS:V?
I swear I have played that game for a month and got it "free".

Bah...

I'll buy it.

Ha ha!!
Glad I waited.

Think it will ever end up on PS+ like MGS:V?
I swear I have played that game for a month and got it "free".

Bah...

I'll buy it.

It's like $28 (44% off) right now on PSN for PS+ users. Definitely an insta-buy at that price. I got it a month after it came out for like $32 during a 15% off sale and I had a 20% off coupon code that came with my PS4 Pro as well.

I highly doubt it will be a free PS+ game for a long time still.. maybe in a couple years since MGS5 came out 2.5 years ago and was a free game last month. But hell, MGS5 Definitive Experience (with both TPP and Ground Zeros) has been $20-$30 on Amazon and other places all year and apparently dropped down to $5 back in March according to Camelcamelcamel. I picked it up back in January and played it for the first half of the year pretty much, hah.

Last edited:
I finally finished ffxv and picked up this game, got about 10 hours in and picked up shadows of war and never looked back. After reading the last couple of pages here, Im really looking forward to picking it up again. I actually enjoyed less than 5 ps4 games since I bought it, and this is definitely one of them!

Back