Horizon Zero Dawn

I bought PS4 Pro just for this game. Honestly. I just want to play this. The other games I get will only be a bonus, but I fell in love with this game. Hope it's huge and plenty to do.

I'm thinking I may have to get a PS4 Pro for this game as well. I sold my PS4 after I got sick of Bloodborne, but this title looks strong. The promise of 'open world sandbox without checklists and chores' has me intrigued.

Post-post apocalyptic with mechanized dino's and you have to figure out why - I'm in.

As a gamer, what I dislike are platform "exclusives". I realize that they're attempting to push their respective hardware sales, but I'm not going to spend $400 per console simply to play one or two exclusive titles. But I would pay $50-$60 for a PC version of the game itself. I'd be willing to bet that the devs are losing more profit in title sales than the console makers are making with hardware sales.

I'd normally agree on the exclusives thing, but after having read the backstory on this title, it wouldn't have even gotten made without Sony's involvement.

As PC gamers we also have to fess up to our "I'll wait for $5 steam sale" mentality that makes the platform less attractive to publishers. Even the rare 10/10 game that's well optimized on day one, and people still bitch if they can't get it massively discounted from some cheapkey site.

Sometimes exceptions come along where the game is strong enough that you just say fuggit and buy the console because life is about experiences. For me Bloodborne was one, and this game looks like one.

Last edited:
Quick look from Giant Bomb:

It's all post-game but they don't talk about spoilers and just do side-missions and run around. If you don't want to be spoiled on the skills and stuff you should avoid it though.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
After watching streams of this on Twitch today, everything about it reminds me of Rise of the Tomb Raider. It's definitely more open-world than RotTR, with maybe some Bethesda sprinklings via the AI interaction.

Definitely good visuals. I'd expect nothing less from the Killzone devs.

Last edited:
Same minus the guide. I won't let the bloviating in the press about this being a feminist game ruin my enjoyment of it.

Agreed. Definitely looking like a game I'll enjoy playing tomorrow.

Stream live now from IGN:

like this
After watching streams of this on Twitch today, everything about it reminds me of Rise of the Tomb Raider. It's definitely more open-world than RotTR, with maybe some Bethesda sprinklings via the AI interaction.

Definitely good visuals. I'd expect nothing less from the Killzone devs.

It's basically Ygritte running around in a mechanized Witcher 3 world. And I saw all of 30 seconds of a stream which qualifies me uniquely to comment. :D

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Horizon Zero Dawn

Visuals are definitely killer, game looks and plays solid.

2405379f786769b305c32a0fb9d77054.jpg

Last edited:
Collector's coming today, swapped my Slim for a Pro, I'm pumped!

Man I want to play this so bad but I despise consoles and controllers.... I'm so conflicted

Still in the prologue phase. Impressive start. I picked the "performance" option in the menu for the Pro folks like me.

Gameplay conventions are familiar for I think just about everyone. Stealth, gathering, combat, scan enemies, stuff like that.

Well done approach here on the prologue as the "tutorial" and to actually get into the narrative and establish a likeable and sympathetic character with the overarching mythos and story.

Codex like audio recordings are around in certain locations like we've seen in other games for more backdrop and subtext about "what happened way back."

All told, I think this was the ideal way to start this game narratively. Gamers will be "into the story" and "into the character" once this thing takes off. This is good and, no, it's not Fallout 3's prologue. ;)

Very promising and good looking setup. The game is gorgeous and the music is as well. Good start with maybe an hour into it thus far.

Info on the music:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/06...nd-artists-for-horizon-zero-dawns-soundtrack/

Impressive. That lady's solo voice... very evocative and ethereal. Well done. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff and I hope a legit soundtrack release happens because I'll be getting it.

Last edited:
Still in the prologue phase. Impressive start. I picked the "performance" option in the menu for the Pro folks like me.

Gameplay conventions are familiar for I think just about everyone. Stealth, gathering, combat, scan enemies, stuff like that.

Well done approach here on the prologue as the "tutorial" and to actually get into the narrative and establish a likeable and sympathetic character with the overarching mythos and story.

Codex like audio recordings are around in certain locations like we've seen in other games for more backdrop and subtext about "what happened way back."

All told, I think this was the ideal way to start this game narratively. Gamers will be "into the story" and "into the character" once this thing takes off. This is good and, no, it's not Fallout 3's prologue. ;)

Very promising and good looking setup. The game is gorgeous and the music is as well. Good start with maybe an hour into it thus far.

Info on the music:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/06...nd-artists-for-horizon-zero-dawns-soundtrack/

Impressive. That lady's solo voice... very evocative and ethereal. Well done. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff and I hope a legit soundtrack release happens because I'll be getting it.

My man! What you wrote is getting me really pumped for later today. How's the "performance" option seem to you?

Based on reading Eurogamers article (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-horizon-zero-dawn-ps4-pro-performance-analysis), I'll probably stick with 4K.

Last edited:
like this
I really like anything Gurilla games makes but would have to try this game I guess.

like this
I was tempted to pick up a Pro for this but held off (for now)...when I bought the original PS4 for Bloodborne it was totally worth it and I have zero regrets as the game was flat out amazing and I also got to play some other exclusives I've always wanted to try such as all the Uncharted games and Last of Us...with the Pro there's no other big exclusives that really interest me except Last of Us 2 (and who knows when that will be released)...plus I only have a 1080p Panasonic plasma at the moment and don't plan on upgrading to a 4K HDR set until late this year

I'm not getting a Bloodborne vibe with Zero Dawn which makes purchasing an entire console seem worth it...yes I've been spoiled by Bloodborne

Kinda looks like Shadow of Colossus cool looking beasts with weak spots but don't fit into the environment.
I think that is why they made Shadow of Colossus all the same colors.

like this
since I don't have a 4K set I'm actually seriously considering picking up a PS4 Slim for this game (currently $250 at Amazon)...might be the better move

since I don't have a 4K set I'm actually seriously considering picking up a PS4 Slim for this game (currently $250 at Amazon)...might be the better move

Might as well. There are some damn good deals going around on the slim these days.

Might as well. There are some damn good deals going around on the slim these days.

I was reading some posts over at NeoGaf and everyone is saying that the game looks incredible even at 1080p...I think the Slim might be a good value for this game

The good thing about the Slim is the surface doesn't scratch easily it's all Matte plastic unlike the original PS4.

My man! What you wrote is getting me really pumped for later today. How's the "performance" option seem to you?

Based on reading Eurogamers article (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-horizon-zero-dawn-ps4-pro-performance-analysis), I'll probably stick with 4K.

I don't have a 4K monitor or TV ...if I did, that's what I would do, too.

Performance gives it a little "nudge" but this isn't earth shattering. ;)

I'm really impressed with this game.

It's like that review and some others have said: You get this hodge podge of "best of gameplay" from some of our other favorite games mismashed together with a new coat of paint and fresh spin and get it in this. It's fun, satisfying, and some depth and heart.

I think it may move some hardware.

Ranged, stealth, good melee...it's all here. Explore, loot, craft, good story, good characters...gorgeous... I don't see how anyone can wrong here unless they just flat out hate anything remotely RPG.

You got to get Hitman one of these days, too, if you haven't already. It's the worthy successor to Blood Money. With freakin' laser vision. ;)

Last edited:
I don't have a 4K monitor or TV ...if I did, that's what I would do, too.

Performance gives it a little "nudge" but this isn't earth shattering. ;)

I'm really impressed with this game.

It's like that review and some others have said: You get this hodge podge of "best of gameplay" from some of our other favorite games mismashed together with a new coat of paint and fresh spin and get it in this. It's fun, satisfying, and some depth and heart.

I think it may move some hardware.

Ranged, stealth, good melee...it's all here. Explore, loot, craft, good story, good characters...gorgeous... I don't see how anyone can wrong here unless they just flat out hate anything remotely RPG.

You got to get Hitman one of these days, too, if you haven't already. It's the worthy successor to Blood Money. With freakin' laser vision. ;)

I'm so damn excited to play! You're really laying it on thick here.

Yes...I know, I need to make time for Hitman!

Also, this came! I'd snap a pic of the statue but my girlfriend would kill me if I opened it up again (she hates styrofoam noises!). Going to put the box and statue in my "work in progress gaming room" (still haven't settled into the new place) and then take a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Another picture attached for people that are curious what the Collector's box looks like. The outside of the box is fantastic looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0242.JPG
    IMG_0242.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 40
I don't even know who you are any more, man. This was GOTY practically. ;)

100% agreed. Hitman was amazing. One of the few games to manage the episodic thing well and they're still doing stuff with the game. I'm really looking forward to a season 2.

As for Horizon: I'm happy my feeling about the game was wrong. It seems great. I'm not picking up just yet though. If I can't get my hands on a Switch Friday I'll be picking up Horizon though and digging into to this weekend.

like this
So...My Samsung TV supports HDR and I have my PS4 set to 'auto' for HDR, BUT when I fire up the game it looks terrible. Bright pink, florescence, badness. What's going on?

This game is amazing. It's a system seller. I'm playing it on a PS4 Pro and the graphics are incredible. I've played a few hours but so far it's Tomb Raider on steroids. Loving every second of this!

This game is amazing. It's a system seller. I'm playing it on a PS4 Pro and the graphics are incredible. I've played a few hours but so far it's Tomb Raider on steroids. Loving every second of this!

are you playing on a 4K TV?...or 1080p?

Cable? Could be firmware issue. Do you play other 4K HDR content just fine on the set? Man this will be the first game I buy for my PS4 since bloodborne. I am super excited. Maybe this weekend.

I have a PS4 Pro on a 1080p display and I picked the Resolution over Performance. I went with the regular edition since the "statue" is just meh (I'm spoiled by HQ polystone statues, plastic ones are disappointing) plus I don't have room for it. I just wanted the stupid in game items. A friend of mine picked up the Collector's Edition and his box got 2 codes so he gave me the extra one. w00t it worked out.

My TV has the HDR setting on. On the PS4 the setting is enabled. When I start the game it bright purple/pink, but the setting for HDR is selected, so it's showing my set is capable. Will have to figure it out.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-best-settings-for-hdr-on-samsung-4k-tvs

Great video on the setup process. I've done everything but my picture still isnt correct, though I'm playing the game non HDR and I love it.

The only change I haven't tried is connecting the PS4 directly to the Samsung connect box and not in the receiver. I'll try that later.

Last edited:
From what I've read, depending on your TV set, you have to jack up backlight and mess with a few other settings to get it to "look right". Also depends on the lighting in your room as well.

I don't even know who you are any more, man. This was GOTY practically. ;)

Don't give me that shit! I've been busy!

like this
My TV has the HDR setting on. On the PS4 the setting is enabled. When I start the game it bright purple/pink, but the setting for HDR is selected, so it's showing my set is capable. Will have to figure it out.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-best-settings-for-hdr-on-samsung-4k-tvs

Great video on the setup process. I've done everything but my picture still isnt correct, though I'm playing the game non HDR and I love it.

The only change I haven't tried is connecting the PS4 directly to the Samsung connect box and not in the receiver. I'll try that later.

Only place you should be going for anything TV related is RTINGS.com. Helped my calibrations plenty of times.

Well my TV is professionally calibrated. It's more figuring out a setting between all the components.

So...My Samsung TV supports HDR and I have my PS4 set to 'auto' for HDR, BUT when I fire up the game it looks terrible. Bright pink, florescence, badness. What's going on?
Google your TV model and Ps4 Pro issues or something like that. It took me about 2 hours to get my TV to finally pickup the 4k on the Pro... even though my TV is a 4k... you would think it would work right out of the box. Apparently not.

I've played a few hours but so far it's Tomb Raider on steroids. Loving every second of this!
I was thinking the same exact thing last night when I was playing.

For folks with the CE: What's your impression of the statue and do you feel the CE was worth what you paid? I'm not usually one to get CEs these days but the $96 price on Amazon is tempting.

Back