Horizon Zero Dawn

Quality wise this game is on par with The Witcher.
I like that. Devs who care.
I pre-ordered this game, and also pre-ordered the DLC, however I maybe have 6-7 hours played...
Currently Battle Chasers (another awesome game) is keeping my attention, but I'll get around to play Horizon again.

Quality wise this game is on par with The Witcher.
I like that. Devs who care.
I pre-ordered this game, and also pre-ordered the DLC, however I maybe have 6-7 hours played...
Currently Battle Chasers (another awesome game) is keeping my attention, but I'll get around to play Horizon again.

Yeah, they really do care and it shows. Just in this latest 1.40 update, they've already added some updated graphical effects like better water effects when you're wading around. which was the only somewhat obvious graphical flaw that I've noticed in this game. They're also adding in some nice snow effects for moving snow around on the ground as you and other characters move around in the snow.

Can't wait to fire up the DLC tonight, gonna be staying up past midnight to play it a bit.. in fact I feel like I might be coming down with a cold today so I might be calling in sick to work tomorrow. :D

Just finished the game ~90% completion and 45 hours or so. Loved it. I will probably go back and do a NG+ at some point, but my backlog is pretty full.

Had forgotten about the expansion releasing for this tomorrow. Will have to get my Xbox One X setup and then ignore it for the PS4 to binge on this. Loved the main game and have been debating on playing through New Game + mode. After reading that the expansion content is a branch off the main map and intended for mid to late game that idea seems neat. Although might just fire the game up and come to grips with the controls and jump in from my save.

Is there any news about whether Sony will release an update that would allow the game to run at 60fps on PS4 Pro?

Is there any news about whether Sony will release an update that would allow the game to run at 60fps on PS4 Pro?

Are you being facetious?

There's no way the hardware can push this kind of image quality up to 60 FPS. I'm sure they could give an option to drop image quality for 60 FPS, but I think that would take too much away from the presentation or at least more than the devs are willing to compromise on in an effort to make the game as immersive and detailed as possible.

Personally, with how rock solid the frame rate/pacing is and with the perfect amount of motion blur, I have never found myself wanting a 60 FPS option in this game even with how fast pace it can get in combat. I'm sure if there were even occasional drops in performance, my stance would be different, but in the 150+ hours I've put into this game, not once have I noticed any frame rate hiccups (this is on my Pro playing on a 4K TV with IQ set to quality in the settings). Which goes to show that there's probably a bit more headroom left for higher frame rate if it were unlocked, but I'm sure it's nowhere near enough to reach 60 FPS, esp. consistently (which I'd argue is more key to good game play than a higher/unlocked frame rate).

Anyways, I played about an hour into the Frozen Wilds last night as soon as it unlocked. Looking good so far; I'm digging the better character interaction with how animated they are while talking. I thought they were maybe a tad too animated at times, but they still had mostly natural movements while they were conversing. It's certainly much better than the stiff movements while conversing in the base game and most other games of this genre.

Last edited:
Pre-ordered Frozen Wilds but probably won't get to it for a bit. Decided to get back to the game and had planned to barrel through the plot before the DLC came out but well...I got distracted by basically everything. I know I can begin the DLC at level 30, but I have so much other stuff to do right now before digging into that.

Are you being facetious?

There's no way the hardware can push this kind of image quality up to 60 FPS. I'm sure they could give an option to drop image quality for 60 FPS, but I think that would take too much away from the presentation or at least more than the devs are willing to compromise on in an effort to make the game as immersive and detailed as possible.

Personally, with how rock solid the frame rate/pacing is and with the perfect amount of motion blur, I have never found myself wanting a 60 FPS option in this game even with how fast pace it can get in combat. I'm sure if there were even occasional drops in performance, my stance would be different, but in the 150+ hours I've put into this game, not once have I noticed any frame rate hiccups (this is on my Pro playing on a 4K TV with IQ set to quality in the settings). Which goes to show that there's probably a bit more headroom left for higher frame rate if it were unlocked, but I'm sure it's nowhere near enough to reach 60 FPS, esp. consistently (which I'd argue is more key to good game play than a higher/unlocked frame rate).

Anyways, I played about an hour into the Frozen Wilds last night as soon as it unlocked. Looking good so far; I'm digging the better character interaction with how animated they are while talking. I thought they were maybe a tad too animated at times, but they still had mostly natural movements while they were conversing. It's certainly much better than the stiff movements while conversing in the base game and most other games of this genre.

I am not, the fact that this game could hit 30fps before on PS4 and PS4 pro is much more powerful in terms of raw performance, I wanted to see of 60fps is a possible option, on 1080p at least, not on 4k. I wouldn't want to play on 4k on something equivalent of RX470 to begin with.

I wanted 60fps regardless of how game might look on 30fps because, forgive me not being as confident about it as you are, no game I have played on 30fps I was ever under the impression that it wasn't 30fps. Not even games that 60fps won't matter at all. I have never seen any one playing PS4 Horizon, so I am working blind (no pun), so I wanted to see if 60fps is an option.

But it looks like it's not, which is unfortunate, since I am REALLY interested in the game, but I am REALLY not keen about playing a third person shooter on a controller at 30fps.

I am not, the fact that this game could hit 30fps before on PS4 and PS4 pro is much more powerful in terms of raw performance, I wanted to see of 60fps is a possible option, on 1080p at least, not on 4k. I wouldn't want to play on 4k on something equivalent of RX470 to begin with.

I wanted 60fps regardless of how game might look on 30fps because, forgive me not being as confident about it as you are, no game I have played on 30fps I was ever under the impression that it wasn't 30fps. Not even games that 60fps won't matter at all. I have never seen any one playing PS4 Horizon, so I am working blind (no pun), so I wanted to see if 60fps is an option.

But it looks like it's not, which is unfortunate, since I am REALLY interested in the game, but I am REALLY not keen about playing a third person shooter on a controller at 30fps.

Even with the Pro, there is no way the game could run at 60fps even at 1080p. The game is just pushing the system way too hard for that. I wouldn't call the game a shooter. Its an action-RPG and feels much more like than than it does a shooter. The game runs rock solid at 30fps (at least on the Pro) so that level of smoothness should take away from the feeling that it is running at a less-than-ideal framerate.

Yeah, it would be nice I guess to have a 60 FPS option at 1080p or lower with a dynamic resolution system on the Pro, but again, personally I'm plenty happy with the 30 FPS performance at the higher image quality we have now. I recommend you watch Digital Foundry's tech analysis and frame rate test of the game if you want to see why I'm saying this:

I'm pretty sure all of the minor graphical and audio complaints mentioned after the performance part of that review were fixed in updates soon after it launched. I know I definitely didn't have the center/right audio channel issue while I was playing through it on my 5.1 system a couple months after the game launched at least.

As for the performance mode mentioned in the 2nd video; it does very little from what I could tell. It definitely doesn't raise the 30 FPS cap and the high resolution mode has always been rock solid for me anyways (just like you see in these vids), so the best I can tell is that the game will just slightly lower IQ and/or resolution during very graphical parts of the game to ensure there are absolutely no frames dropped during game play. But I never even noticed any frame drops in either mode, so I really don't get the point of it.

Regardless, I would definitely reserve any judgement until you get your hands on it. Because I can't see anyone but the most elitist PC gaming snobs having anything negative to say about the performance of this game impacting its gameplay. The controller vs kb&m aspect I can somewhat understand, but personally I'm a big PC FPS gamer and would definitely like to have kb&m support on this game as well, but I didn't ever feel I was being severely handicapped by playing this game with a controller. The only thing part that can get awkward with the controller is trying to scroll through your health/trap items in game to find the right item to use, esp. when you're in the middle of combat and need to find a health item or stat boost item quickly. Otherwise moving and aiming in this game has been pretty enjoyable to me still.

Last edited:
Alright, guess I'll have PS4 put on my wishlist for a little longer.

This IS entirely my opinion, but when I played FFX/X-2 Remastered on PC (that thing is locked 30fps on my hardware), there wasn't that many places where I felt I am comfortable with it, and it's during Blitzball games, other times the constant 30fps felt like constant annoyances LOL.

FF13 had places that for some reason went up and down (it flips between 60 and 30 in seemingly random areas), and I still felt it was better than locked 30.

But, as you said, I'll try and see if I can see this game in person. Nothing on paper ever beats seeing it.

Now, for someone without either PS4, would you think that PS4 pro is worth it for this game (and possibly Persona 5 and Bloodborne)? Or is PS4 base model just plain bad idea right now?

Now, for someone without either PS4, would you think that PS4 pro is worth it for this game (and possibly Persona 5 and Bloodborne)? Or is PS4 base model just plain bad idea right now?

To me that would kinda depend on if you have a 4K TV or not. Even though you can still benefit from improved graphics on a 1080p TV with the Pro through super-sampling, I don't think it's enough to warrant the upgrade to the Pro. I haven't seen more than a couple games (Rise of the Time Raider and The Last of Us) give you 60 FPS performance options 1080p with the Pro either, though TLOU is a must-play game as well if you haven't played it yet. That may be changing soon though now that the One X is on the market, basically forcing third party devs to support the Pro/X consoles better. So the One X is kind of a good thing for Pro owners, if it brings more support to the console. We kinda just saw this with a random Pro patch for MGS5 this past week or so, coincidentally right along with the launch of the One X!

Maybe it's because I only played my base PS4 on a 1080p TV and got my Pro with my 4K TV (in a bundle deal), so I never tried to play my base PS4 on a 4K TV, but I personally didn't feel that I saw that much of a graphical upgrade on the Pro. I might have felt differently if I tried to compare them in a few games on my 4K TV, but I thought games like Uncharted 4 and Horizon already looked amazing even on the base PS4 at 1080p before, so the only thing you seem to get on the Pro is a bit sharper of an image due to the increased resolution and not much more in terms of overall image quality or performance.

So I'd say you'd be pretty happy still picking up the PS4 slim and saving a $100 or more if you buy used. Not that my Pro is loud at all, but the fan spins up to noticably audible levels occasionally and the comparisons I've seen online show it to pretty much always stay inaudible. If you have a 4K to though, it's a tougher call, but I guess if I had to pick an option, I'd try to pick up the Pro on sale on BF or something coming up. I'm sure Sony will price drop it soon or something to help combat the One X that just launched too. I wouldn't be surprised if you find a Horizon/Pro bundle on sale for the holidays either for $350-$400.

Alright thanks.

I do have both a 4k TV and a PC monitor, but the PC monitor only has HDMI 1.4 so can only do 4k30hz, so I'll see how it goes.

For games on PS4, when Deluxe editions come out, typically would there be any further content based DLCs?

Alright thanks.

I do have both a 4k TV and a PC monitor, but the PC monitor only has HDMI 1.4 so can only do 4k30hz, so I'll see how it goes.

For games on PS4, when Deluxe editions come out, typically would there be any further content based DLCs?

Depends on the game. In most cases the GOTY/Deluxe/whatever editions that come out later are usually all the DLC that will get released.

Damnit I just can't seem to get into this game. The combat feels clunky and I don't like that there are weak points on machines. It means that I need to make a precision hit with a gamepad and I'm honestly a PC player so aiming with a gamepad is not my thing. I do have XIM4 but it doesn't help that much.
I also don't like the whole game setting with bow and spear vs metal machines. And also the hunts are quite boring in my opinion. It's mostly just a world without a lot of settlement. It feels like wherever I go, it's combat.
If I compare it to The Witcher 3, Fallout 4 or Skyrim, at least those games have a lot of cities and other interaction than just bash things.
I wish I could but I am probably done with it after good 2 tries (when it was released and now after I bought the DLC).

Damnit I just can't seem to get into this game. .

The weapons get better and by then you start to get a good feel on the mechanics of the weapons. Some parts are clunky, but they didn't take away from the game as a whole. Not sure why you bought the DLC as this was mid-game to end-game expansion, it really is a good game that is fun to play. I would say give up if you have half the map uncovered...that would be enough time to identify that you and the game just aren't clicking. I am sure you will be all game over when you come up against a rockbreaker...lol those are tough guys.

I played this game as a semi-stealthy approach. Always got the first hard hit in before battling down the enemies.

The weapons get better and by then you start to get a good feel on the mechanics of the weapons. Some parts are clunky, but they didn't take away from the game as a whole. Not sure why you bought the DLC as this was mid-game to end-game expansion, it really is a good game that is fun to play. I would say give up if you have half the map uncovered...that would be enough time to identify that you and the game just aren't clicking. I am sure you will be all game over when you come up against a rockbreaker...lol those are tough guys.

I played this game as a semi-stealthy approach. Always got the first hard hit in before battling down the enemies.

Yeah but it's not just the combat. It's the world as well.
There's too much snow and I guess The Frozen Wilds is even more snow.
And I keep getting annoyed at settlements. I came across a few smaller ones but all they have is a quest or two and ALL merchants I've encountered sell exactly the same items! Ugh.... So disappointing.

Game seems awesome to me still.. yes it can be awkward to aim at times when you have to be precise, but that's why I typically stick to other weapons besides my bow. I like to hit the enemies with the sling shot with whatever element they're weak to, then either use explosives (tripcaster or blast sling maxed out with damage mods) or hardened arrows on their larger weak points. Even on the Ultra hard difficulty, taking down most enemies isn't too hard for me, yet it's always really fun to do.

I usually like to sneak up to a loaner in a pack of enemies to override it and recruit some help in taking down the rest of the pack or hitting them with corruption if I can't reach them. But they have pretty much killed overriding or corrupting enemies in the Frozen Wilds area since this new Daemon attribute doesn't allow for it.

Yeah but it's not just the combat. It's the world as well.
There's too much snow and I guess The Frozen Wilds is even more snow.
And I keep getting annoyed at settlements. I came across a few smaller ones but all they have is a quest or two and ALL merchants I've encountered sell exactly the same items! Ugh.... So disappointing.

The merchants pretty much are all the same, so don't bother going to one unless you know what you want.

I was sucked in the story after about 10 minutes like Witcher 3... so it's almost goat status for me. If you don't like the story then i could see how the game would drag on.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Finally got a PS4 Pro on order with the Compete Edition of this. Can't wait.

Finally got around to dusting of the game for the expansion...was level 50 with best weps/armor, was rusty on the controls. Tell me I am not crazy, the first machine you come up against kicked my ass...it took me forever!!! Anyone else have much trouble? Perhaps I forgot the mechanics of fighting.

Finally got around to dusting of the game for the expansion...was level 50 with best weps/armor, was rusty on the controls. Tell me I am not crazy, the first machine you come up against kicked my ass...it took me forever!!! Anyone else have much trouble? Perhaps I forgot the mechanics of fighting.

Yes... i was thoroughly dominated by it. I have a suspicion you are supposed to just stealth past it.

Yes... i was thoroughly dominated by it. I have a suspicion you are supposed to just stealth past it.

Lol.. I beat it on ultra hard without being touched.. by staying up on the ledge before you jump down into the area he was in and just shot freeze/blast bombs and hardened arrows from there. :D

If you think that scorcher is hard, you gonna be maaaaad when you get to the Fire Claw at the end of the DLC. :eek:

Took me a solid hour just to get through that fight alone (again on Ultra Hard).

Complete Edition dropped today...should have a copy waiting for me in the mail when I get home. So excited to finally play this!

Played a bit tonight...I have to say, on the PS4 Pro and 4K HDR TV, I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say this is the best looking game I've ever seen. :eek:

Played a bit tonight...I have to say, on the PS4 Pro and 4K HDR TV, I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say this is the best looking game I've ever seen. :eek:

It is a truly gorgeous game and I often find myself running along a cliff side or hill crest just to stop and admire one of the many sprawling vistas the game has to offer.

I just completed all quests and finished getting all the collectables (figurines, pigments, and mods) in the new Frozen Wilds area. Still shows I'm only at 95% completed for the Frozen Wilds area though and I'm at 99% for the main game. I hope I don't have to find all of the data logs and stuff throughout the world just to get the 100%, cuz there are still a lot that I'm missing and that's the only thing I can think of that would keep me from 100% completion. I've platinum'd the game though as far as trophies go, which this is the only game I've played where I've been compelled to do so and actually enjoy getting most of the trophies, as most of them came just from naturally playing the game.

I just started having some technical issues in the game though after this last update, but I think it may be a problem with my PS4 or its HDD specifically. Have you all noticed load times and loading things in-game are taking a lot longer now? Just in my last couple play sessions, I've noticed a lot of dialog and audio cues/effects getting WAY out of sync, the map won't load at all (like after a full min one time), switching outfits prompts a small load screen upon exiting back to the game, as well as textures on Aloy and the environment not loading for a while. I hope my HDD isn't failing or something, because I noticed that just backing out to the main Playstation UI and browsing around was taking a while to load all of the icons as well. So maybe it's an issue with the latest PS4 firmware too (I'm on 5.0.1 on a Pro). I think the last update came out right around Thanksgiving, but I just noticed the loading issues in the past few days playing Horizon. I rebooted my PS4 and everything and it was still slow to load stuff. Last night when I was playing it was better, but still nowhere near as fast as the game used to be to load at least for the map and for switching outfits. I would think a lot of this stuff would stay in RAM anyways and not be so reliant on the HDD. Is there any sort of hidden hardware diagnostic mode on the PS4 I could run to make sure the HDD isn't failing?

I 100% agree. When I first picked up an Xbox X and played Assassin Creed Origins, I was completely underwhelmed and I believe it's due to the fact I was comparing it to DH.

Just got this game and it looks phenomenal on an OLED TV. Debating whether or not to pick up a PS4 Pro!

It is a truly gorgeous game and I often find myself running along a cliff side or hill crest just to stop and admire one of the many sprawling vistas the game has to offer.

I 100% agree. When I first picked up an Xbox X and played Assassin Creed Origins, I was completely underwhelmed and I believe it's due to the fact I was comparing it to DH.

Yeah, I mean...did not think I would ever say that about a console game but the opening sequence blew my mind, and what seemed like a decent framerate to boot. Plus the world design and art style are just gorgeous as well. Pretty amazing. Really looking forward to digging into this one.

what's up with that lack of PS4 Pro Horizon Zero Dawn bundles??

There was one at Costco for the base game + PS4 Pro for $399, but with the Complete Edition dropping for ~$40-50 it didn't seem like that good of a deal.

I grabbed a PS4 Pro during BF for $350, so overall I got the Complete edition as well as the console for less than $399.

There was one at Costco for the base game + PS4 Pro for $399, but with the Complete Edition dropping for ~$40-50 it didn't seem like that good of a deal.

I grabbed a PS4 Pro during BF for $350, so overall I got the Complete edition as well as the console for less than $399.

yeah I saw that Costco bundle but nothing other then that...nothing at Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon etc...I guess the game and console are selling really well on their own so they don't feel the need to bundle it and give gamers any discounts just yet...maybe for Christmas...I bought an LG C7 OLED in July so it would be nice to play Zero Dawn on this

This game is awesome...though I started out getting the stealth kill skill and it seems really OP so far. I'm guessing eventually it will not be but I barely have to do anything but wait in the grass for enemies to wander over to me. With the Lure skill it's even easier.

Lots of stuff to collect, and I love how it tells you what the items are used for so you don't have to guess whether or not you should sell things. More of these types of games need to have that kind of feature.

Playing with the minimal/contextual HUD...definitely the way to go in this gorgeous game.

Just got this game and it looks phenomenal on an OLED TV. Debating whether or not to pick up a PS4 Pro!

Looking forward to getting my copy in tomorrow as I've been wanting to see how this looks on my A1E!

This game is awesome...though I started out getting the stealth kill skill and it seems really OP so far. I'm guessing eventually it will not be but I barely have to do anything but wait in the grass for enemies to wander over to me. With the Lure skill it's even easier.

Lots of stuff to collect, and I love how it tells you what the items are used for so you don't have to guess whether or not you should sell things. More of these types of games need to have that kind of feature.

Playing with the minimal/contextual HUD...definitely the way to go in this gorgeous game.

Yeah, wearing the stealth outfits with stealth mods are the best way to move throughout the game. With your stealth points pretty much maxed out on any stealth outfit, you can pretty much do a running slide at any enemy and then do the stealth attack for a fast take-down of small enemies (grazers, striders, watchers, etc.) and not be detected by the rest of the nearby pack still if they're not too close and looking right at you. But soon you'll start seeing larger enemies that you're not going to be able to take down from the weeds and will have to start engaging them openly (if you want their loot/resources anyways).

Also, here's a nice tip to help you out on the end-game; save all the blaze (mostly farmed from grazers and striders) you can and only sell it if you have a severe excess of it. You need a lot of this stuff to make any fire/explosive ammo that you'll need to take down the larger enemies further on into the game. I was definitely running low on it throughout the Frozen Wilds area for its large enemies and had to make a couple trips back to the first hunting grounds (there's a lot of grazers around there) to farm some more blaze.

Last edited:
I never had any problems running out of mats throughout the game, my only problem was running out of inventory space.

Yeah, wearing the stealth outfits with stealth mods are the best way to move throughout the game. With your stealth points pretty much maxed out on any stealth outfit, you can pretty much do a running slide at any enemy and then do the stealth attack for a fast take-down of small enemies (grazers, striders, watchers, etc.) and not be detected by the rest of the nearby pack still if they're not too close and looking right at you. But soon you'll start seeing larger enemies that you're not going to be able to take down from the weeds and will have to start engaging them openly (if you want their loot/resources anyways).

Also, here's a nice tip to help you out on the end-game; save all the blaze (mostly farmed from grazers and striders) you can and only sell it if you have a severe excess of it. You need a lot of this stuff to make any fire/explosive ammo that you'll need to take down the larger enemies further on into the game. I was definitely running low on it throughout the Frozen Wilds area for its large enemies and had to make a couple trips back to the first hunting grounds (there's a lot of grazers around there) to farm some more blaze.

Thanks for the info!

I was wondering, in the tutorial it mentions that you can break off enemy parts with the spear...is there any reason to actually do that over doing the stealth insta-kill? Does it give you any different resources?

I never had any problems running out of mats throughout the game, my only problem was running out of inventory space.

What are mats? I was talking about blaze specifically since the explosive blast bombs and tripcaster are one of the most effective weapons in taking the large enemies down later in the game and they require a lot of blaze for their ammunition.

Thanks for the info!

I was wondering, in the tutorial it mentions that you can break off enemy parts with the spear...is there any reason to actually do that over doing the stealth insta-kill? Does it give you any different resources?

It's talking about the armor plating on enemies so that they're more vulnerable to arrows on the parts of the body that the armor was protecting. It's not very useful for smaller enemies since they have more exposed/weaker parts you can hit anyways or just stealth-kill. But later on in the game, you'll definitely have to use some tactics to knock off armor or weapons (that you can then use yourself against the machine it came off of) off of enemies to soften them up and expose weak points, but you're not going to use the spear for that (more like the terablast arrows on the sharpshot bow), hah. You're not going to get any more resources from knocking parts off of them either before they die, so don't worry about scavaging less from them by not doing that.

Another cool tip related to knocking parts off of machines though; like I said, later in the game you can knock turrets/weapons off of machines to use against them. But even if you manage to kill them without doing this, you can still remove those weapons after they're dead and carry them elsewhere to use on other machines. These are really heavy weapons that don't go into your inventory though and you walk much slower while carrying them (there's a skill unlock to walk faster with them though), but of course they're extremely powerful. After watching many HZD vids on Youtube, I never saw this pointed out there or in-game, so I just discovered it on a whim one time after trying it and thought it was pretty cool/useful.

Last edited:
mats = materials

yeah using the "TEAR" arrows certainly helps ripping of weapons and armor to expose weak point then you can use the heavy hitting arrows (high damage)

Back