Horizon Zero Dawn (Official Discussion Thread)

Couldn't get it to work with m/kb...
Yeah, I had that problem.

Right click to 'ready' your bow, then hit reload to add another arrow. The game doesn't explain it well (or maybe I'm just retarded).

Gotcha! Does that make all of the bows useful? So far I abuse the sniper combo of remove parts, snipe the soft parts...

Yeah, once you start stacking Damage and Tear, you can really rip through the tougher mechs. First shot I'd usually just shoot off their weapon, then go pick it up. Disc launcher and the rapid fire cannon helps a TON and turns a 5 minute dodge fest into a 30 second kill.

From memory, I actually learned a lot about how to approach different mechs based on the lodge challenges. They had very strict time requirements, but many of them would give you clues how you had to approach things in order to meet the deadline.

Figured out how to use multiple arrows, you have to pick an ammo and ready the bow, but not aim. Then reload and Aloy will get another arrow. It's very handy for springing a trap / ripping the ranged weapons off a bigger target.

Yeah, I had that problem.

Right click to 'ready' your bow, then hit reload to add another arrow. The game doesn't explain it well (or maybe I'm just retarded).

Yeah, once you start stacking Damage and Tear, you can really rip through the tougher mechs. First shot I'd usually just shoot off their weapon, then go pick it up. Disc launcher and the rapid fire cannon helps a TON and turns a 5 minute dodge fest into a 30 second kill.
Yeah think I changed a key binding at the start that screwed it up. Just tried setting controls to default and it worked fine...except I already finished the game a couple weeks ago, doh!

Fair enough- I'm just glad I figured it out before I had to fight a Thunderjaw in the cauldron... :ROFLMAO:

New Horizon Zero Dawn PC Update 1.11.2 improves VRAM Management and DLSS/FRS issues

Horizon Zero Dawn PC Update 1.11.2 Release Notes:

-Improved VRAM management when changing resolution or upscale mode, which could cause performance issues that were only fixed by restarting the game
-Fixed various assets using the wrong quality level while using DLSS/FSR
-Fixed visual artifact issue when clipping the camera through a surface like pushing against a wall (ie with large FOVs or ultrawide screens) while using DLSS/FSR
-Fixed visual corruption and reduced foliage flickering issues on certain AMD GPU's

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1151640/view/3127188796154914025

Very cool! I have seen the camera issue a few times, it can make fights... interesting. But loving the game and about to go on (I think) the last mission. It's got that 'there is no turning back' warning.

Very cool! I have seen the camera issue a few times, it can make fights... interesting. But loving the game and about to go on (I think) the last mission. It's got that 'there is no turning back' warning.
Game doesnt end after the mission. You can still do the remaining sidequests and continue to the DLC if you havent done so, already.

Silly good game, but I waited to start on it about 6mo after PC release. The first few months were a tad rough with bugs.

Yeah, I figured I could keep playing, I just mean the main story. And I stuck my nose in the frozen north, and decided to mostly stay out of there until I finish the main story. Those daemon possessed machines (or whatever) are rough!

Caught it on the Steam sale for $25.. Money well spent. I stopped playing it on PS4 Pro a while back because I kept feeling it would be so much better on PC. I was definitely right.. Awesome game!
Are you using mouse/keyboard or a controller?

I did- the game assumes you are on a controller but it works fine KB & M.

Are you using mouse/keyboard or a controller?
I did my playthrough exclusively kb/mouse and had zero issues. Some things, I missed, like the ability to load/fire multiple arrows, but once I learned that mechanic, it all "clicked"

What is the release date for New Horizon (for PC) ?
You mean Forbidden West? There is none. (has not been confirmed for PC, and while it most likely will be ported over in a year or two, if you really want to play it this year then you'll most likely have to pick it up for console)

I finished my replay of this PC version and I feel as high about this as I did after my first playthrough. They did a beautiful job on this PC port, too.

I am stoked for part 2 and I'm not waiting for the PC port, either. If 2 is as good as 1 then I'll have no problems doing the double-dip again.

So not confirmed pc release of forbidden west? I was thinking that pc version will be released at the same time like ps5 ;) heh

That would be nice, but I gotta think Sony will want a couple years exclusivity. That said, I can't wait- really liked the first one.
That would make more sense if you could actually go to a store and get a PS5 right now.

I just can't deal with a controller (even if I could actually find a PS5 to buy). I loved the first game on PC (with M/KB), I guess I'll just have to try to be patient for a couple of years until I can play the second on PC.

I was debating which game to play next after finishing Far Cry 6 and I settled on Horizon Zero Dawn (PC)...I wasn't sure I wanted to play another huge open world game right away but this has always been near the top of my list so I'm in...I was also hesitating because I'm hooked on ray-tracing and wanted more but HZD is one of the best reviewed games of the past few years so it's time to finally find out for myself

I was debating which game to play next after finishing Far Cry 6 and I settled on Horizon Zero Dawn (PC)...I wasn't sure I wanted to play another huge open world game right away but this has always been near the top of my list so I'm in...I was also hesitating because I'm hooked on ray-tracing and wanted more but HZD is one of the best reviewed games of the past few years so it's time to finally find out for myself
Upon release, the PC port was a bit crap. They didn't quite fix it up until a few months later. I started my playthru in the November 2020 timeframe and experienced zero issues with performance or crashes. There was the occasional Aloy hair glitching (usually while riding elevators) but nothing outstanding. I'm a cheap bastard and even at full price, HZD definitely lived up to its reputation for me. If I had to give it a personal rating, it would be a 9.5/10 for the base game, but the DLC fell a bit short, got a bit excessive with the backtracking, but still a solid 9/10 experience.
Even though, the first quarter of the game seemed kinda slow for me, once I found my playstyle in the game, it simply came together and I didn't want to miss a second of the game.

Theres a fast travel mechanic in the game. I missed it the first time, didn't read the description. Once I obtained that, the progress and flow of the game went swimmingly.

Upon release, the PC port was a bit crap. They didn't quite fix it up until a few months later...

yup, Digital Foundry took a 2nd look at the PC port 6 months after the initial release and it was much improved...

Finally beat this game. What ... a weird ... ending.
<spoiler removed>
That ending was very abrupt. Didn't feel as climactic as the first game. There's going to be a third game apparently. Who knows how long that will be before it comes out though. PS6? I still enjoyed the story. But I wasn't left breathless like at the end of the first game.
Just as a heads up for those who finished the first game (Zero Dawn) on PC only here, don't read that spoiler above because it's for the second game (Forbidden West) that's not out yet on PC.

Just as a heads up for those who finished the first game (Zero Dawn) on PC only here, don't read that spoiler above because it's for the second game (Forbidden West) that's not out yet on PC.
I'm stupid and thought I was in a Forbidden West thread. I've just removed the post entirely. My bad.

Upon release, the PC port was a bit crap. They didn't quite fix it up until a few months later. I started my playthru in the November 2020 timeframe and experienced zero issues with performance or crashes. There was the occasional Aloy hair glitching (usually while riding elevators) but nothing outstanding. I'm a cheap bastard and even at full price, HZD definitely lived up to its reputation for me. If I had to give it a personal rating, it would be a 9.5/10 for the base game, but the DLC fell a bit short, got a bit excessive with the backtracking, but still a solid 9/10 experience.
Even though, the first quarter of the game seemed kinda slow for me, once I found my playstyle in the game, it simply came together and I didn't want to miss a second of the game.

Theres a fast travel mechanic in the game. I missed it the first time, didn't read the description. Once I obtained that, the progress and flow of the game went swimmingly.

Yeah they were quick with patches though. Something like 9 patches in fairly quick succession. I played it after around 9 of them were released, and outside of a few minor issues I don't recall any problems.

I'm still very early in the game but the 2 machine types that I've encountered seem really easy to kill using just melee (spear)...I don't even need to use arrows to target the weak points on the Watcher and Strider machines...can the harder machines also be killed using just melee (I'm assuming I need to upgrade my Melee skill) or do I have to eventually use weak points/arrows?

I'm still very early in the game but the 2 machine types that I've encountered seem really easy to kill using just melee (spear)...I don't even need to use arrows to target the weak points on the Watcher and Strider machines...can the harder machines also be killed using just melee (I'm assuming I need to upgrade my Melee skill) or do I have to eventually use weak points/arrows?
I think you might have an issue trying to melee some of the tougher enemies. Not to mention those that fly that you're going to need to bring down to the ground somehow.

Plus the problem is that often they run in packs and swarm you.

I think you might have an issue trying to melee some of the tougher enemies. Not to mention those that fly that you're going to need to bring down to the ground somehow.

Plus the problem is that often they run in packs and swarm you.

those horse looking Strider machines run in packs but are really easy to kill even in groups...just roll, run around them and do a heavy melee attack...they have that pouch weak point on them which you can hit with a fire arrow but I only do that for fun versus actually needing to do it...I'm playing on Normal difficulty...

Yeah melee only is effective (on normal and below difficulty at least) on the smaller enemies like watchers, striders and Lancehorns, but past those you're going to need to use ranged attacks more and only melee once when they're close enough after a lunging attack that you dodged or something. As the game progresses, you encounter stronger enemies that you'll need to start exploiting their elemental weaknesses with the appropriate elemental ammunition if you want to dispose of them effectively.

those horse looking Strider machines run in packs but are really easy to kill even in groups...just roll, run around them and do a heavy melee attack...they have that pouch weak point on them which you can hit with a fire arrow but I only do that for fun versus actually needing to do it...I'm playing on Normal difficulty...
The "Herbivore" looking dino's, the spear thing might get it done, but if it looks like a carnivores critter, you're going to need to range them. I guess you could still technically spear them, but you're going to be making the game harder than it has to be. Then there's the human targets......

Don't know why you would use spear over the bow or any of the other weapons. They are far more satisfying to use.

I enjoyed playing mostly melee, but the game forces you to kill the big machines with archery. I guess it might be possible to kill some of them only with the spear, but it'll take all day. You won't be able to hit their weak spots with the right elements, so it'll be a massive slog. Horizon definitely isn't Dark Souls. You don't have that much freedom with how you approach larger enemies. Forbidden West is even more rigid with how you have to approach things.

gameplay is fine but playing at 1440p with everything on Ultra and the graphics are disappointing...everything looks a bit blurry and the textures don't look high-res...the machine enemies look pretty nice and cutscenes look decent but actual gameplay graphics are a step down

playing with kb/m I don't like that in order to hit a heavy melee attack you need to hold down the heavy melee button while also pressing the normal melee key...they should have made the heavy melee one key like most other games

Back