Horizon Zero Dawn (Official Discussion Thread)

Wow thank you, that's video card I have! Maybe if they port, taco cn!! Thank you!

Yeah, now that it's fully-patched, you can play it on anything recent. But the sequel (built for PS5) will likely demand more.

You should have 2-3 years fom today to buy a faster card

Taco just looked up download size for epic, its 72gb[cry]

Ah, where are games in 10gb range anymore?
Yeah, I waited until I could upgrade my ancient 128gb before I bought that.

I was also hoping to have something faster than 960 for htpc by now

Hmm, yeah, my ssd could be part of the problem. Its 128gb crucial m4 I think. I have like 20gb left maybe. Well, I do have 7200rpms x2, but nt sure. Well they should work fine, just loading screens might he a while.

What taco need is drop mobile data nd switch to real internet, but it's like 45dollars every month. Bloody expense!
It's worth it. Seriously.

I played HZD at 1080p medium m on my 960 2GB (gets AROUND 30-FPS, EVEN THOUGH THEY SAY I'm OUT OF VRAM)

The game plays smoother on my 1060, but doesn't really look any better! That card should be able TO MAX-OUT THE SEQUEL (AT 30 FPS)

I expect it will be a few years before they port the latest (so you will have some time post-covid to buy a mining-restricted card at msrp!
I doubt you be able to max the sequel out at 1080p on a 1060. Game looks pretty damn good.

I doubt you be able to max the sequel out at 1080p on a 1060. Game looks pretty damn good.

why? I currently get 45 maxed, so 30 would be feasible on next gen mixed target (both ps5 and PS4)

That engine is not as good-looking as some other PS5 exclusives (Ragnarok, for example)

Last edited:
Horizon Zero Dawn PC Patch 1.11 Introduces Nvidia DLSS, AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution Support and More

Graphical Improvements

-Added Nvidia’s DLSS upscaling technology
-Added AMD’s FidelityFX Super Resolution, replacing FidelityFX CAS.

UI Changes

-Adjusted settings screen to facilitate the addition of DLSS and FSR
-Render Scale option has been removed but same result can now be accomplished by adjusting setting Upscale Method to Simple and adjusting Upscale Quality

Performance Improvements

Improvement to the shader management system. This will result in a few noticeable differences:

-There is no longer a shader pre-compilation step on startup. The game will always compile shaders during loading and in the background
-Stutters during gameplay that used to occur due to background shader compilation have now been significantly reduced
-Because shader compilation is still happening in the background you may notice the game having a higher CPU utilization while that is happening
-Loading screens will wait for the required shaders to be fully compiled. This may cause loading screens to take somewhat longer on certain systems
-On higher spec machines with faster CPUs the loading screens will typically be shorter, due to more efficient shader compilation that better leverages high-end CPUs

https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/rbnz7i/horizon_zero_dawn_for_pc_version_111/

I’m surprised this thread has as few replies as it does (over the lifetime of the thread). This was one of the best games I’ve played recently. Anyone who is on the fence should definitely check it out. It was 50% off ($25) on Steam during the Autumn sale, I wouldn’t be surprised if it goes back down during the Winter sale. Even so it’s well worth the $50 MSRP in my opinion.

Last edited:
I’m surprised this thread has as few replies as it does (over the lifetime of the thread). This was one of the best games I’ve played recently. Anyone who is on the fence should definitely check it out. It was 50% off ($25) on Steam during the Autumn sale, I wouldn’t be surprised if it goes back down during the Winter sale. Even so it’s well worth the $50 MSRP in my opinion.
17 pages is pretty average for a game thread here, though, unless it's a Diablo or something. The PC version also came out 2 years after the PS4 version, so there is already a lot of discussion in the console thread.

https://hardforum.com/threads/horizon-zero-dawn.1901669/

It's pretty awesome that they're still supporting this game with significant updates.

Well, they beat Borderlands 3 to their "yeah sure we're going to add FXR support sometime this century"

I've been waiting for this to restart the game on my HTPC on a GTX 960, as I hate using mouse look fr third-person shooters (currently run med at 30 fps 1080p, FXR should give me High 1080p at 40 fps)

The reason the thread is spotty is because it's a console third-person shooter that wants to pretend it's Skyrim arrow-shooting (with an added level of complexity interface to clunk-your-way- around shooting on both console and PC) I'm preferring the beat-em-up on controller, but still require the accuracy of the mouse for any accuracy missions

Last edited:
I thought the game was fantastic and really expansive, but it was also a "one and done" for me. I don't know if I would (or could) do things differently on subsequent replays.

I thought the game was fantastic and really expansive, but it was also a "one and done" for me. I don't know if I would (or could) do things differently on subsequent replays.

I'm still waiting on my first playthrought, thanks to mouse-look on my main gaming system turning me off, and I wanted better quality on by b7

It's pretty awesome that they're still supporting this game with significant updates.

definitely a pleasant surprise...when patch 1.10 was released I thought that would be pretty much it in terms of major updates...Guerrilla Games even released a statement that it would slow the pace of updates for the PC version so it could focus on Horizon Forbidden West

Played a bit today. Definitely has some stuttering from the background shader compilation, but after about 20 minutes it seemed to disappear completely.

Though very much NOT a rigid test, Fidelity FX at "ultra quality" was about a 10% (or better) framerate increase with zero noticeable image change. Stayed a little over 60fps at 1440p with my 1080ti.

"Quality" introduced noticeable edge shimmering that was very distracting.

$25 again for Steam’s Winter Sale

Still too much money for a critically-limited GAME

I mean, if you don't like the clunky arrow-shooting interface, you'd be surprised how many OTHER WEAPONS UN THHIS game USE THE SAME projectile INTERFACE

the ONLY PROGRESSION IN THIS GAME IS TO MAKE THESE NEW ARROWS COST SEVERAL
TIME'S AS MUCH PER-SHOT, ALL WHILE ADDING VIRTUALLY USELESS NEW FEATURES.

Last edited:
What.

I enjoyed it, don't regret paying near full price for it and definitely wouldn't be mad spending $25 on it, especially with how much the patches have improved pc performance since it originally launched.

Steam is showing that I put in 70 hours. Those were 70 good hours, too. That's worth playing full price IMO. At a discount? Absolutely.
If you buy it, I highly recommend taking the time to do the lodge challenges. They're fantastic and legitimately require lots of thought and execution.

Still too much money for a critically-limited GAME

I mean, if you don't like the clunky arrow-shooting interface, you'd be surprised how many OTHER WEAPONS UN THHIS game USE THE SAME projectile INTERFACE

the ONLY PROGRESSION IN THIS GAME IS TO MAKE THESE NEW ARROWS COST SEVERAL
TIME'S AS MUCH PER-SHOT, ALL WHILE ADDING VIRTUALLY USELESS NEW FEATURES.
We get it, you don't like it. You're not going to convince anyone by repeating the same thing with more BOLD CAPITAL LETTERS.

Just finished it. Loved the story (I can be a bit of a lore whore now and then) and overall I thought it was well done.

The shielded armor, depending on what difficulty you play at, can really alter the entire game. Not sure if that's good or bad.

I played on PC with m&kb and thought it was challenging enough.

Won't play through again immediately though, but glad I bought it, and will look forward to when the 2nd game gets PC released.

Is the shielded armor the one that you can see near the beginning but need 5 power cells?

I'm about 20% through the game (I think, made it Meridian), and love it so far, but I do have the bad game trope of 'build any character, but we'll make you wish you built for combat every now and then'.
But I'm in Shadow level gear and starting to see why you'd want a couple of sets of armor and a surprising number of weapons.

Last edited:
Is the shielded armor the one that you can see near the beginning but need 5 power cells?

I'm about 20% through the game (I think, made it Meridian), and love it so far, but I do have the bad game trope of 'build any character, but we'll make you wish you built for combat every now and then'.
But I'm in Shadow level gear and starting to see why you'd want a couple of sets of armor and a surprising number of weapons.
Yes, that’s the ultimate armor. I had to look up a guide on where to get all the power cells though because it’s a bit tricky. You’re not going to find them all on your own without help. The armor is incredibly OP and worth getting, especially with a second playthrough. There’s a reason you can’t get it until the very end because it changes the entire dynamic of the game.

All I'll say is get double / triple shot ASAP. :) It was a game changer for me.

Gotcha! Does that make all of the bows useful? So far I abuse the sniper combo of remove parts, snipe the soft parts...

Back