Horizon Zero Dawn (Official Discussion Thread)

Its a fun game now as it was on ps4. My only gripe going to kb & m is that I can't seem to move when coming out if menus. Its like the game sees only one press until the menu completely goes away instead of a walk or dodge command. Ive had one crash outside of that due to me alt tabing a lot in a short period. No other issues I can spot.

I am really enjoying it still....probably one of the most polished and immersive third person open world games I have played since GTA V. It's a damn shame they botched the release, but thankfully it has been running completely fine for me over 6 hours of game time. Hasn't crashed once and the only noticeable slow downs are when the weather effects are particularly dense, and even then the performance is still acceptable.

Have to wonder what has gone wrong with QA and QC...don't often get these releases where a game runs completely fine on some configurations and then is a complete mess on other configurations with no obvious explanation as to why.

no crashes, but I have to follow DF's settings for stable frames with my rig. my only real complaint is that M/KB is floaty and unresponsive in regards to movement. it is particularly noticable when i pickup anything, i have to let go of my movement and then hit it again to move in that direction, which is not an issue on a controller.

no crashes, but I have to follow DF's settings for stable frames with my rig. my only real complaint is that M/KB is floaty and unresponsive in regards to movement. it is particularly noticable when i pickup anything, i have to let go of my movement and then hit it again to move in that direction, which is not an issue on a controller.

Haven't noticed the floaty movement with M/KB, has felt native to me.

Looks like the patch fixed the memory leak for me, played for 4 hours last night, system ram didn't go above 11GB.

Also, anyone else having a hard time telling the difference between original quality settings and ultra? Besides the 40% drop in frame rate at 4k - not really seeing a major difference

I'm not having that issue either. In past games, when I got that "floaty" feeling it was because my framerate was dropping too low.

I'm not having that issue either. In past games, when I got that "floaty" feeling it was because my framerate was dropping too low.

frames are 58-60 except in high density settlements where it dips to 45. Gsync smooths it out.

No this is legitimate keys being locked out, as an example holding W to go forward, hit E to pick up plant, once picked up my character just stops even though W is still being held. I can hit AS or D and move, but unless I let go of W and hit it again I cannot move in that axis. Happens with any key when picking up, but W is most common. moderately annoying as I got very used to looting and fighting on the PS4.

The floating is harder to describe, but it feels like it could be microstutters of the above problem, keys being locked out for milliseconds resulting in unresponsive movement. It all dissapears if I switch to my xbone controller.

Could be a third party app as I use iCue to set my lighting to a nice low glow.

Framerate has actually been alright for me for the most part. Would love to see it not dip below 40-50, but that seems to be fairly rare, at least to my eyes.

Still get crashes fairly regularly, though it seems to take longer now than it used to. Can usually play for at least an hour or so before a crash.

Framerate has actually been alright for me for the most part. Would love to see it not dip below 40-50, but that seems to be fairly rare, at least to my eyes.

Still get crashes fairly regularly, though it seems to take longer now than it used to. Can usually play for at least an hour or so before a crash.
Same. I'm on a 9900K/2080 Ti, but at 4K, I only see less than 50FPS when the view changes from one thing to another, like showing the map/inventory menu thing, or when it shifts from one vantage point to another during cutscenes, and I think that just has to do with the way Precision's framerate counter works.

I do get crashes, but only when I try to quit, oddly enough, so I guess I'm not terribly bothered. I'd be really upset if I had the same problems everyone else seems to be having, though.

Having played through the PS4 version twice, I would much rather play this version. Being able to stay above 30 FPS makes it so much better. The framerate on even a PS4 Pro is low enough to be distracting, to me.

I am playing on a 980ti. I do have the PS4 version, but didn't play due to time. But liking the game so far, 18 hours into it, and just grinding to level up. My monitor is 16x10, so I get these blurred bars at the top and bottom.

And I do get the crashes on quit.

I've never crashed on quit, but I get crashes with a "do you want to submit debug data?" message every 30-90 minutes or so.

So I'm well into the game with no problems before this point, but just ran into an issue. I'm level 33 but never did the trials for the hunters lodge. I can hail the Grounds Keepers and they talk to me, but I can't select anything on the dialog wheel, so can't do any trial...ideas? I verified that the dialog wheel still works for others, just not the Grounds Keepers.

Last edited:
I've never crashed on quit, but I get crashes with a "do you want to submit debug data?" message every 30-90 minutes or so.
You cursed me :p. First in-game crash.
2020-08-17 00_01_53-Horizon Zero Dawn_ Complete Edition.png

Very satisfying taking down two sawtooths....pretty challenging to do so early in the game on extra hard.

wait a minute...you actually pre-ordered a game????...and spent more then $10!!...the world has truly changed in 2020...COVID-19 and now this...I guess Australia must have given out some nice stimulus checks... :D

I haven't had a crash yet. Played a solid 3 hours today. Buuuuuuuuuuuut, now since I said that, I'll probably get a crash soon.

I haven’t crashed in 7 hours of play and I’m digging the game so far. This feels like something I could sink a lot of time into.

wait a minute...you actually pre-ordered a game????...and spent more then $10!!...

I know you are still salty about paying full retail price for Anthem which is yet to receive that magical patch, but I have repeatedly stated to you that there are limited exceptions where I will pre-order because I trust the developer not to deliver half baked trash (for instance CDProjekt with Cyberpunk 2077, as opposed to any game published by EA or Ubisoft) and the game is one which warrants it skipping to the front of my enormous backlog. Sony and Guerrilla don't have a proven track record on PC, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt because from all the pre-release information it looked like they were doing the port justice and if not I could easily get a refund through steam.

the world has truly changed in 2020...COVID-19 and now this..

Unfortunately what hasn't changed is your poor reading comprehension.

I guess Australia must have given out some nice stimulus checks... :D

COVID-19 hasn't affected me financially, but even if I had the benefit of free gubbermint cash I would still be discerning enough not to pay full retail price for EA's trash games like Anthem ;)

Still crashing for me fairly consistently. Sigh...such a good game but such a shoddy port. Hopefully they can get to the bottom of it soon.

I know you are still salty about paying full retail price for Anthem which is yet to receive that magical patch, but I have repeatedly stated to you that there are limited exceptions where I will pre-order because I trust the developer not to deliver half baked trash (for instance CDProjekt with Cyberpunk 2077, as opposed to any game published by EA or Ubisoft) and the game is one which warrants it skipping to the front of my enormous backlog. Sony and Guerrilla don't have a proven track record on PC, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt because from all the pre-release information it looked like they were doing the port justice and if not I could easily get a refund through steam.

COVID-19 hasn't affected me financially, but even if I had the benefit of free gubbermint cash I would still be discerning enough not to pay full retail price for EA's trash games like Anthem ;)

Anthem was fun in terms of the core gameplay but it suffered from repetition and not enough content...do I regret paying $60?...no, as I put in a decent amount of hours in the game...same with that other game which I loved but died a quick death, Evolve...wasted $$ to me is if the game sucked or I didn't play it...

as for HZD, the core gameplay sounds good and I plan on getting it but the game is semi-broken for a lot of people so I wouldn't call this a shining example of a port done right...keep spending that Australian stimulus $$ :D

Anthem was fun in terms of the core gameplay but it suffered from repetition and not enough content...do I regret paying $60?...no, as I put in a decent amount of hours in the game...same with that other game which I loved but died a quick death, Evolve...wasted $$ to me is if the game sucked or I didn't play it...

Given how vigorously you argued with everyone that it was perfectly acceptable for Anthem to be released in its then state (broken game mechanics, lack of content, general bugginess, server connection issues, blatant microtransaction gouging model, stripping of content, etc) on the basis that it would eventually be patched into an acceptable state, I have some doubts believing the genuineness of your after the event claims.

as for HZD, the core gameplay sounds good and I plan on getting it but the game is semi-broken for a lot of people so I wouldn't call this a shining example of a port done right...keep spending that Australian stimulus $$ :D

I didn't say it was a shining example of a port done right and I have also stated several times in this thread that the game runs perfectly fine for me with zero crashes over almost 10 hours of game time. Again demonstrating that the only thing that hasn't changed in 2020 is your poor reading comprehension.

Given how vigorously you argued with everyone that it was perfectly acceptable for Anthem to be released in its then state (broken game mechanics, lack of content, general bugginess, server connection issues, blatant microtransaction gouging model, stripping of content, etc) on the basis that it would eventually be patched into an acceptable state, I have some doubts believing the genuineness of your after the event claims.

that's not what I said at all...if you're going to quote me then stick with facts and not exaggerated statements...what I said was that these live service games always start out rocky but then have the ability to get better over time and you can't really judge them for at least a year after release...like Destiny etc...hopefully all the Australian stimulus $$ you are spending to buy a new GPU and all these new pre-orders is helping the economy

that's not what I said at all...if you're going to quote me then stick with facts and not exaggerated statements...what I said was that these live service games always start out rocky but then have the ability to get better over time and you can't really judge them for at least a year after release...like Destiny etc...

In essence that's what you claimed to refute all the complaints people validly made....and surprise surprise your prediction turned out to be completely wrong.

hopefully all the Australian stimulus $$ you are spending to buy a new GPU and all these new pre-orders is helping the economy

I know you think you are being funny, but you are just coming across as childish...as if that somehow makes up for your weak arguments. Try again.

I'm not trying to be funny...Australian stimulus $$ got sent out and you by coincidence are all of a sudden upgrading your system, new CPU, GPU, pre-orders of games etc.

I have been planning an upgrade long before the pandemic...a search of my posts would have quickly revealed to you that I am waiting for both Zen 3 and the 3080 to be released.

..I think it's pretty obvious...anyway this is the HZD thread so get back to it...

Yes I can see how it would be obvious to someone with poor reading comprehension and who is looking to troll in an unrelated thread. The stimulus is means tested and only available to those who lost their jobs, have been furloughed or suffered a significant decrease in income. I don't fall into any of those categories, which means I don't get any government hand outs. I can't really put it to you anymore plainly.

The best part about this game is that they make you respect the environment. No matter how good you think you are, you can always find yourself in danger of dying. It’s just the right amount of suspenseful.
I've done that. Ran off a cliff trying to jump away from an enemy: "HAHA!! Screw you saw tooth, I am just gonna jump off this cliff to safety below!! Oh fuck."

I have never gotten into taking screenshots in a game before, had some fun.
Horizon Zero Dawn_Tue_Aug_18_13-43-13_2020.pngHorizon Zero Dawn_Tue_Aug_18_13-42-45_2020.pngHorizon Zero Dawn_Tue_Aug_18_13-42-05_2020.pngHorizon Zero Dawn_Tue_Aug_18_13-41-50_2020.pngHorizon Zero Dawn_Tue_Aug_18_13-41-29_2020.pngHorizon Zero Dawn_Tue_Aug_18_13-41-10_2020.pngHorizon Zero Dawn_Tue_Aug_18_13-40-59_2020.pngHorizon Zero Dawn_Tue_Aug_18_13-40-46_2020.png

Horizon Zero Dawn PC Patch 1.02 Release Notes
Known Issues

• Some players are experiencing an out of memory error during the game optimization process.
  • Some players are experiencing GPU-related hangs during gameplay. The improved diagnostic data collection added in Patch 1.01 and Patch 1.02 is aimed at making it easier to track these down.
  • Additionally, some players are experiencing graphical settings issues, such as Anisotropic Filtering or HDR not working correctly.
  • Some players are experiencing performance issues on specific GPUs or hardware combinations.
  • Some players with a non-Latin-1 codepage may have had their save games missing after Patch 1.01; we have a script that can help relocate the missing save games. Please reach out to our team here using “Report Other Issue” for support.
  • We’re aware of and continue to investigate issues on both the player-compiled lists by u/EvilMonkeySlayer and u/Rampage572 – thank you!
Crash Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where some players would crash during their first game boot when the ‘game optimization’ screen is active and they ran out of disc space.
  • Fixed an issue where some players would crash if they updated their video drivers after the game was already optimized previously.
  • Also fixed an issue where some players would crash during gameplay because of memory incorrectly being overwritten.
  • Fixed an issue where some players would crash during gameplay due to a texture unstreaming bug.
Game Improvements

• Improved performance when auto-saving (e.g. when completing a quest step).
  • Fixed an issue where some players experienced that V-sync wouldn’t properly turn off in borderless mode
  • Fixed an issue where some players experienced out of sync facial animations due to them being locked at 30FPS.
  • Reduced memory used when streaming shaders.
Other changes

• Improved crash report flow and messaging. Each crash now includes an identifier you can use to communicate with our Customer Support.
  • Added more features to improve diagnostic data collection when submitting a crash report.

They still need to add full screen cutscenes for ultrawide w/o us needing to hex edit the exe. That's my main complaint.

Finished the game last night. Now I am eagerly awaiting a the sequel on the PS5 (and maybe also the PC version a few years later :)). Not sure if I'll NG+ it, I really went out and just played nothing else but this game since it's release and I still love the story even though I did finish it on PS4 a while ago. The only thing I still kind of have an issue with is the RNG for drops to get your resources to upgrade your gear. It was a lot of wasted time hunting for skin and bones of various animals and can be horrible if you run a bad luck streak with the RNG. I had better luck than on my PS4 run IIRC. I think I spent way too much time trying to get certain skins and bones on PS4, not sure if they adjusted the RNG or I just had better luck this time round. And the limited inventory uggh... I am a hoarder and always never have enough space in these games, I wish they just give me infinite inventory or stacking of items cause inventory management isn't my kind of thing ;). Still I highly recommend this game. It's one of my favorite games (in my top 10 definitely) for both the story and gameplay.

Finished the game last night. Now I am eagerly awaiting a the sequel on the PS5 (and maybe also the PC version a few years later :)). Not sure if I'll NG+ it, I really went out and just played nothing else but this game since it's release and I still love the story even though I did finish it on PS4 a while ago. The only thing I still kind of have an issue with is the RNG for drops to get your resources to upgrade your gear. It was a lot of wasted time hunting for skin and bones of various animals and can be horrible if you run a bad luck streak with the RNG. I had better luck than on my PS4 run IIRC. I think I spent way too much time trying to get certain skins and bones on PS4, not sure if they adjusted the RNG or I just had better luck this time round. And the limited inventory uggh... I am a hoarder and always never have enough space in these games, I wish they just give me infinite inventory or stacking of items cause inventory management isn't my kind of thing ;). Still I highly recommend this game. It's one of my favorite games (in my top 10 definitely) for both the story and gameplay.

I suspect mods will fix many of these shortfalls we've seen. This is my 3rd playthrough (2 on PS4 & 1 on PC), so I could really go for some great mods to enhance the gameplay.

Now that I'm finally done with Death Stranding, I'm going to dive into this pretty soon. Is it mostly playable at this point or would I be better off waiting another few weeks for more updates?

Now that I'm finally done with Death Stranding, I'm going to dive into this pretty soon. Is it mostly playable at this point or would I be better off waiting another few weeks for more updates?
Very playable. Patch 1.01 has eliminated all crashes for me, so 1.02 should be even better.

It's fine. I have similar hardware to you (9900K/Z390/2080 Ti) and I've had no significant problems.

One of my favorites for gameplay and story as well. Did this PC version come with the DLC?

One of my favorites for gameplay and story as well. Did this PC version come with the DLC?
Yes. There was only one DLC on the PS4 as far as I know, and it's just sort of integrated into the PC version. You might not notice that it's a DLC if you didn't just know from before.

Back