Horizon Zero Dawn (Official Discussion Thread)

Blade-Runner

2[H]4U
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/horizon-zero-dawn-patch-1-06-released-fixes-a-number-of-issues/

Horizon Zero Dawn Patch 1.06 released, fixes a number of issues

Horizon Zero Dawn Patch 1.06 Release Notes​

Crash Fixes​

• Fixed a streaming compute shader crash
  • Fixed a crash on startup related to file paths with non-ANSI characters

Graphical Improvements​

• Fixed an issue where characters would noticeably warp between cuts during a specific cutscene in main quest “The Point of the Spear”
  • Fixed an issue where box graphics would flash during the final cinematic of the game
  • Also fixed an issue in HDR where the UI could get overlapped by a black scene
  • Fixed an issue where turning on the Adaptive FPS option gave lower performance results than setting similar results manually

Gameplay Improvements​

• Aloy forward walking direction – Aloy now walks directly towards the direction the camera is facing when you press forward, rather than at a slight angle

Other Improvements​

• Executable details – Properties of the executable now also displays the current version

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this

Blade-Runner

2[H]4U
I guess that's what I'm experiencing. I'm running into enemies I'd almost classify as bullet sponges. Even hitting their vitals with what they're supposed to be weak to isn't hurting 'em like I'd expect. I'm not exactly dying much or getting clobbered, but I'm using up a boatload of resources and having to high tail it a lot. It feels like a departure from the earlier sections where I was killing enemies in 4-5 hits. It's like everything got stronger, but I didn't.

I am playing on the second hardest difficulty and now that I am at the final mission, and currently completing the Frozen Wilds expansion, my character is a veritable machine slayer with all the unlocks and modded weapons. At the outset I had to employ stealth and avoid encounters because fights with 2 or more machines usually resulted in a quick death. With maximum health and the regenerating shield armor it is pretty easy to brute force the toughest enemies with melee attacks. Coupled with the tactic of overriding enemy machines when necessary, I rarely die from any encounter now.

like this

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
Normal difficulty for me all the way. I'd go nuts on anything harder.

Frozen Wilds is notorious for an insane difficulty spike. Don't bother doing it until you have the super armor and are ready to finish the game off.

Domingo

Fully [H]
I'm still plodding through the main game an am at level 35. I've only just started doing the quests in Meridian, so I have a long way to go I'm guessing. I killed one of those mega gigantic machines last night that was apparently the only machine I hadn't killed yet. The fight probably took a solid 10 minutes and I used a boatload of arrows, bombs, and everything else on him. It wasn't necessarily that hard (I have tons of potions and herbs), but it just took forever. I think that's what's throwing me off. I can kill most everything in seconds, but the larger machine fights take like 5-10 minutes and eat up a lot of resources. I don't really die, but they chew up ammo.

MavericK

Zero Cool
Normal difficulty for me all the way. I'd go nuts on anything harder.

Frozen Wilds is notorious for an insane difficulty spike. Don't bother doing it until you have the super armor and are ready to finish the game off.

Hard isn't too bad. I've thought about going through again NG++ on Ultra Hard but I'm not sure if I want that kind of punishment.

like this

criccio

Fully Equipped
I started an NG+ game with all my endgame gear and even then, seeing the map all black with nothing discovered was like.. ugh, maybe in a year. This soon after I don't know if I can do it. Problem for me is like with Witcher 3, i'm going to forget how to play the game by then and won't have a tutorial to refresh me. Should be interesting.

LurkerLito

2[H]4U
I have that issue also with NG+. If I don't start immediately it feels a bit masochistic to come back later when you have played a bunch of other games, forgotten how things work in this one, and try a harder difficulty NG+.

Domingo

Fully [H]
Yeah, I do the "I'll play NG+ later" thing to myself, too. If I wait more than a month or two, my timing is shot and I get smashed.
It's why I tend to play Souls/Bloodborne (and similar games) in 2-playthough spurts.

Aireoth

Supreme [H]ardness
every difficulty is managable and even easy with the right gear and unlocks, except for the hardest as it rebalances all your skills and gear making the game much more of a grind.

Domingo

Fully [H]
I'm discovering that overriding other enemies make some of those big fights pretty trivial. Even the little pissant enemies seem to do pretty heavy damage to other machines. The bigger ones absolutely clean house. I wasn't really using that option all that much (and you have to unlock the ability to do so), but now I'm starting to.

scojer

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm discovering that overriding other enemies make some of those big fights pretty trivial. Even the little pissant enemies seem to do pretty heavy damage to other machines. The bigger ones absolutely clean house. I wasn't really using that option all that much (and you have to unlock the ability to do so), but now I'm starting to.

It's a great ability, I stopped actually fighting, and started overriding everything. Made it a lot more fun, in my opinion.

Domingo

Fully [H]
It's a great ability, I stopped actually fighting, and started overriding everything. Made it a lot more fun, in my opinion.

Yeah, it's at least a fun change-up. I'm one of those people that likes to get dirty and mix it up in melee, but the game clearly wants you to explore other avenues. At least unless you want everything to be tedious.

MavericK

Zero Cool
Yeah, override is mega OP if you have good stealth and the slient sprint skill, you can just sprint in and override big enemies that take everyone else out.

LurkerLito

2[H]4U
Heh till you go to the Frozen Wilds then nothing can be corrupted or overridden. Rather than override, I generally just stay far away and use corruption arrows and let them duke it out while sniping the non corrupted ones from the tall weeds.

Domingo

Fully [H]
I've actually kinda gone back to melee. After a few areas that seemed designed for overriding foes, the opportunities have been pretty limited lately. At least without having to sneak everywhere. I've completed all of the corruption, tallneck, and cauldron stuff (plus all of the side missions not tied to the main quest), so I'm plowing ahead. I figure I'll start the Frozen Wilds once I get the last power cell and the fancy armor. I do think there is at least some level or difficulty scaling to the game, though. There are definitely versions of the same enemy that take more hits and are a higher level.

Domingo

Fully [H]
I've made it to the final mission of the normal game (and just got the fancy armor), so I'm braving the Frozen Wilds now. Hopefully something up there lets me use these "Improve Spear Damage" modifiers I've been dragging around for the entire game.

MavericK

Zero Cool
I've made it to the final mission of the normal game (and just got the fancy armor), so I'm braving the Frozen Wilds now. Hopefully something up there lets me use these "Improve Spear Damage" modifiers I've been dragging around for the entire game.
Yeah, that's a side quest reward in Frozen Wilds.