Horizon Zero Dawn (Official Discussion Thread)

Blade-Runner

2[H]4U
Anyone else playing with keyboard and mouse? I know this game is fine tuned for a controller, but the sprint button (clicking L3, particularly while the analog stick is at full tilt) is absolutely destroying my thumb. I'm in physical pain from clicking it so much.
Been playing with K/M from the outset....works perfectly fine and is as good as any other well done port. The only change I have made to the default controls is binding dodge to my side mouse button.

Blade-Runner

2[H]4U
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/hori...aloys-hair-animation-issues-resolves-crashes/

Horizon Zero Dawn Patch 1.05 released, fixes Aloy’s hair animation issues, resolves crashes

Horizon Zero Dawn Patch 1.05 Release Notes
Crash Fixes
  • Fixed a crash in NetPresenceManager that some players experienced when entering the game or the benchmark from the main menu
  • Fixed a crash where the Steam SDK could crash on initialization when the game executable was started directly from installation folder rather than through Steam
  • Also fixed a crash which would occur if the player pressed ‘Stop’ in Steam immediately after pressing ‘Play’
  • Fixed a startup crash when using Avast antivirus
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when VRAM was about to be oversubscribed
Graphical Improvements

• Fixed an issue with Aloy’s hair not displaying correctly when the game is running above 30 FPS
  • Shader animations (e.g. hologram locks on doors, GAIA in cinematics, etc.) are no longer locked to 30 FPS, but running at unlocked framerate
  • Fixed an issue with flickering textures in main quest “A Gift from the Past”
  • Also fixed an issue with flickering snow assets
  • Fixed an issue with flickering paintings in Song’s Edge
  • Fixed graphical corruption issues that only occurred on specific GPUs
  • Also fixed an issue where the game would open in windowed mode instead of fullscreen when the player is using another window when booting the game
  • Fixed an issue where the game would not run in the correct resolution when switching from windowed to fullscreen
  • Added an option to turn off “blurry sidebars” in ultrawide resolutions and display black sidebars instead
Other Improvements

• Allow players to still boot the game even if the version of windows used is detected to be too low to run the game at a stable condition
  • Added an option to turn off controller vibration/rumble
  • Fixed an issue in the storing of the ‘permission to track data’ attribute of the player profile (subsequently re-asking for said permission)
  • Also fixed an issue where the opening cutscene music would not play if the player quits out and immediately begins a new game
  • Fixed an issue where inverting mouse controls also affected dialog tree choice input

DWolvin

2[H]4U
Ah, pre-coffee I drew a complete blank. Can't wait to play this but have enough backlog right now that I'm waiting on a sale.

Been looking forward to playing through this but waiting for 3080. Hoping I can snag one tomorrow. Good thing is it looks like the game should be fairly well patched by the time I dive in. Who knows, might be up to patch 2.0 before I can actually grab a card.

Played through it on the PS4 Pro but really looking forward to playing on the PC in all its glory, especially with M/KB for better aiming like others have pointed out.

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
Looks like they're doing good getting fixes out. Still have sound outstanding ones, but it looks like most of the big ones are fixed.

bmg

Limp Gawd
Thanks for the tip about finishing the DLC before the last mission, I'll do that. I've got the "super armor", but won't get the hunter weapons, since the hunts are bugged for me. My weapons seem fine anyway though. I'm not really seeing the point of the bluegleam armor or weapons either, but I could get a few pieces if something is highly recommended.

Porter_

Supreme [H]ardness
Thanks for the tip about finishing the DLC before the last mission, I'll do that. I've got the "super armor", but won't get the hunter weapons, since the hunts are bugged for me. My weapons seem fine anyway though. I'm not really seeing the point of the bluegleam armor or weapons either, but I could get a few pieces if something is highly recommended.
The bluegleam armors allow one extra mod slot (extremely useful) and the Banuk bows are the best in the game. Take the time to get them.

bmg

Limp Gawd
The bluegleam armors allow one extra mod slot (extremely useful) and the Banuk bows are the best in the game. Take the time to get them.
Does the bluegleam armor have 4 slots? My current vendor armor already has 3 as I recall...time to start up the game and check it out.

Drexion

[H]ard|Gawd
the Banuk bows are the best in the game.
This is arguable as they have a long draw-time and need to be at max draw to deal their full damage/stats, unlike the regular bows. I went back to the base game bows after a while of using the DLC ones.

bmg

Limp Gawd
I've got one piece of armor with 3 slots, the rest have 2. Since I got the Shield-Weaver armor awhile back, I haven't paid attention to other armor. I'll have to take a closer look at the DLC weapons.

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
So looks like I am about halfway through the story quests but only about 10 hours in. Do the later story quests get much longer? Been doing all the side quests that pop up, but it seems like this game is going to be shorter than I thought.

Seems a bit hard to get bones for better armor and the like to. I have so many modifications but no real use for them. And it seems like after a few hours into the game I have all the weapons I need, the things the vendors sell are all the same as the ones I already have? Do they give better options late game?

Last edited:

MavericK

Zero Cool
This is arguable as they have a long draw-time and need to be at max draw to deal their full damage/stats, unlike the regular bows. I went back to the base game bows after a while of using the DLC ones.
Yeah, I have mixed feelings on the Banuk bows. I think for a DPS build you are better off going with Shadow/Lodge weapons.

Porter_

Supreme [H]ardness
Yeah, I have mixed feelings on the Banuk bows. I think for a DPS build you are better off going with Shadow/Lodge weapons.
It’s pretty fun to sneak up on a scrapper (for example), notch two arrows with the Banuk powershot bow, and kill it in one shot

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
Is there a way to buy items like fatty meat? I am in a city called Meridian, and it claims there is a "Hunting Good" merchant on the map but I can't find one that sells anything related to hunting.

This game does have a lot of problems with resource gathering. Sometimes I forget there are other aspects of the game because you spend more time chasing after animals and plants than fighting the robots. Seems like they wasted a good opportunity. The onset of the game sets and interesting stage, but then the story just dies. What happened to underground areas to explore what happened in the world? I see dozens of collectibles for audio or text logs but outside of maybe 10 I haven't found any since the start of the game.

Blade-Runner

2[H]4U
Is there a way to buy items like fatty meat? I am in a city called Meridian, and it claims there is a "Hunting Good" merchant on the map but I can't find one that sells anything related to hunting.
Set a waypoint flag on the merchant using the map interface.

This game does have a lot of problems with resource gathering. Sometimes I forget there are other aspects of the game because you spend more time chasing after animals and plants than fighting the robots. Seems like they wasted a good opportunity.
I don't find the resource gathering anywhere near as cumbersome and annoying as games like Farcry Primal for instance where you needed to travel to specific parts of the world to gather resources, and even then you needed to randomly trawl through the world in the hope of finding rarer resources to craft certain items. In comparison with HZD I haven't gone out of my way to collect non-robot resources but rather just grab/kill what I see on the way to a particular quest or objective, and then just eventually find I have enough material to craft an upgrade.

The onset of the game sets and interesting stage, but then the story just dies. What happened to underground areas to explore what happened in the world? I see dozens of collectibles for audio or text logs but outside of maybe 10 I haven't found any since the start of the game.
If you are only in Meridian then you have a lot more exploration to do, with more underground areas forming part of the overarching campaign. The plot also becomes far more interesting as you progress to more of the ruined areas. You will find uninteresting audio and text logs randomly scattered around the world, but most of them are concentrated in the campaign areas from my experience. There are also the underground Cauldrons which are worthwhile distractions, because of the cool aesthetic and level design, and the fact that you expand your capabilities to seize control of more robots.

Last edited:

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
Yeah I've pushed through more of the game. It does pick up again thankfully. Is there any place to buy hunting related items like animal furs? I need a few fox furs and I've gotten two so far, but I've kill so many of the little things with no new skins.

Should I start playing the DLC right about now? I have been to most major areas of the map, still have sidequests and the like to do and by the looks of it a good 5-6 story missions. Sounds like you can upgrade your spear so that would be fun to take back to the main game.

As an FYI, if you want to take screen shots it looks like you have to manually disable the HUD first. Not sure why the Photo Mode would show the camera controls by default but they do which is odd.

I've had one crash and one hang on load so far. Hopefully that is all I see.

Horizon Zero Dawn_Fri_Sep_18_00-01-50_2020.png
Horizon Zero Dawn_Fri_Sep_18_22-13-00_2020.png
Horizon Zero Dawn_Sat_Sep_19_16-23-49_2020.png

Last edited:

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Horizon Zero Dawn has sold 716K units on the PC according to Superdata

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/hori...-716k-units-on-the-pc-according-to-superdata/

A game of this caliber deserves much higher sales IMHO, especially now that stability and performance wise it feels pretty solid after being extensively patched.
It's an old PS4 game and I suspect those that wanted to play it did so on PS4. This is what happens with old console exclusives. I say that as a PC owner of the game.

Blade-Runner

2[H]4U
It's an old PS4 game and I suspect those that wanted to play it did so on PS4. This is what happens with old console exclusives. I say that as a PC owner of the game.
By that logic GTA V and RDR 2 should have sold poorly, yet they still did incredibly well on PC....especially GTA V.

LurkerLito

2[H]4U
By that logic GTA V and RDR 2 should have sold poorly, yet they still did incredibly well on PC....especially GTA V.
The difference though is that GTA V PS3/XB360 was released on 9/2013 then on 4/2014 on PS4/XB1 then on PC at 4 2015. This was a game that people knew was coming to PC at some point but no one knew exactly when so PC people waited for the PC version because it was a Rockstar property.

HZD was released on 2/2017 and the PC version was released 8/2020 and before that IIRC this was the first Sony owned console exclusive title to be released on PC, so many PC people bought and played it through on their PS4 because no one thought it would ever be released on PC.