Horizon: Zero Dawn coming to PC

I’ve only played about an hour so far, but no problems yet. i7-9700/2070 Super. Settings are more or less maximum with a few minor tweaks. The game is off to a decent start now that I’m done with all the tutorial crap. We’ll see if it holds my attention now. :D Lately if it’s not a cool 2D game, I seem to have game-ADD. None of the “big hits” seem to hold my attention like they used to.

I had it torrented for a while but it just started crashing. Just bought it on steam and now there's no more crashes.

Maybe the crashing is an anti piracy mechanism.

Doubt it, probably an out of date version and he didn't have the patch installed. New version seems better.

That is why I am waiting. I figure in a few more weeks they'll further get it where it should be, and probably will find it for 50% off soon.

Doubt it, probably an out of date version and he didn't have the patch installed. New version seems better.

That is why I am waiting. I figure in a few more weeks they'll further get it where it should be, and probably will find it for 50% off soon.
I know, it was tongue in cheek :). I'm waiting for a sale too. Hopefully they fix the AF, since the lack of UT would drive me nuts!

I wouldn't let this AF thing stop you. I've had two crashes in 25 hours of gameplay so far and both were arguably my fault partially. We all know how these things go. Some people have more problems than others for whatever reasons.

The AF thing can be "fixed" in the Nvidia control panel. I'm guessing AMD has something similar. Not as good as an in-game fix from the developers, but it's nothing that should stop you from playing now.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I wouldn't let this AF thing stop you. I've had two crashes in 25 hours of gameplay so far and both were arguably my fault partially. We all know how these things go. Some people have more problems than others for whatever reasons.

And I'd just like to ensure I get the good experience. The small little issues like physics bugs and the like aren't a huge game breaker but may as well wait a short time as they'll probably be fixed soon.

The AF thing can be "fixed" in the Nvidia control panel. I'm guessing AMD has something similar. Not as good as an in-game fix from the developers, but it's nothing that should stop you from playing now.

Can it now? Someone said earlier in the thread even CPs weren't doing it.

Seems more stable lately, I did get one weird crash where I got a bunch of artifacting on the screen and then the crash message. Shouldn't have been my GPU.

Level 53 I think, just started doing the Frozen Wilds stuff before finishing the main story.

like this
Can it now? Someone said earlier in the thread even CPs weren't doing it.

Per the PC Gaming Wiki and Steam forums it works. You have to delete and re-compile the shaders afterward. That's for Nvidia at least. Postings seem to be talking about control panels in general, so I'm guessing AMD can do it, too. It worked fine for me a week ago, but I'm sans video card and can't test it out right now.

like this
https://www.gog.com/game/horizon_zero_dawn_complete_edition

I saw this and I couldn't believe my eyes. OMG I will probably buy it again just to support releasing more games on GoG.

Nice, wonder if it'll still be $50 on there still though. I haven't seen this game go on sale at all yet on Steam. Was one of my fav games on PS4, but didn't want to spend more than $30 on it again, esp. with all the bugs at launch and no DLSS or RT support.

Interesting. I hope Sony does more releases like this. Steam, no extra DRM, then GOG a bit later (or at the same time).

Nice, wonder if it'll still be $50 on there still though. I haven't seen this game go on sale at all yet on Steam. Was one of my fav games on PS4, but didn't want to spend more than $30 on it again, esp. with all the bugs at launch and no DLSS or RT support.
But then it's not really a bargain bin title that needs to devalue itself with fire sales. Its a AAA easily worth $50 even years later, and it'll hold its value just like Rockstar games hold their value and avoid the bargain bin.

As for the launch bugs they're irrelevant now and were mostly overblown.

But then it's not really a bargain bin title that needs to devalue itself with fire sales. Its a AAA easily worth $50 even years later, and it'll hold its value just like Rockstar games hold their value and avoid the bargain bin.

As for the launch bugs they're irrelevant now and were mostly overblown.

I agree, but I also got this game on sale digitally directly on PSN 3 months after it launched on PS4 for $40 (plus a coupon code that came with my PS4 Pro that brought it down to like $30 - but that's irrelevant really). I definitely agree it's worth $50 for a first time player though, as it was my GOTY for 2017. If I didn't already have so many other newer and decently rated/reviewed games in my backlog already on all platforms, I wouldn't have an issue rebuying this at $50 again too. But I'm also kinda hoping they'll patch or "remaster" this game again for PS5 for me to replay on there again instead too.

I loved Red Dead Redemption 2 and played it from beginning to end. I have yet to play Horizon Zero Dawn nor buy it, would I enjoy this in the same way? Thanks.

I loved Red Dead Redemption 2 and played it from beginning to end. I have yet to play Horizon Zero Dawn nor buy it, would I enjoy this in the same way? Thanks.
It's still my favorite game on PS4, but I haven't played RDR2 yet.

Yes, I think you would. I've played through both RDR2 and HZD and enjoyed HZD much more at least. So much so that I replayed HZD again on it's hardest difficultly (on NG+). I never felt compelled to replay RDR2 again.

I liked RDR2, but still haven't finished it. HZD though, my goodness. The story sucked me in. I am back questing now and probably and headed towards playing again at top level New Game +. RDR2 has pulled me into it like this one did.

Horizon in my opinion is one of the best story games in a long time with top notch gameplay (at least the PS4 version...haven't played the PC version yet). Its the first game since Vice City that I completed 100% and explored the world top to bottom.

20201224063407_1.jpg

1 hour tutorial

20201224062404_1.jpg

Just a Plaything this tracking device

Just did the tutorial alot of stuff to absorb I suppose it's second nature once you get used to it like the tracking of footsteps from the mechas. Alloy is the story of my life lol what some depressing stuff being an outcast I mean she gets a rock throw at her head in the game by some brat =)

Just did the tutorial alot of stuff to absorb I suppose it's second nature once you get used to it like the tracking of footsteps from the mechas. Alloy is the story of my life lol what some depressing stuff being an outcast I mean she gets a rock throw at her head in the game by some brat =)

You don't necessarily have to worry about tracking their paths in the real game. It's helpful when you're weak very early and you'll need to use it with certain hunter's lodge quests, but otherwise I sprinted everywhere I went.

Horizon in my opinion is one of the best story games in a long time with top notch gameplay (at least the PS4 version...haven't played the PC version yet). Its the first game since Vice City that I completed 100% and explored the world top to bottom.
Agree. I also completed the main game + DLC to 100%, and got all the steam achievements too. A remarkable game. It played pretty well on the PC, at 1440 high/medium settings I was averaging 80-90fps outside. The 90% resolution slider made a difference (thanks RIS)

Started playing more recently since I got a 3090. Either the game doesn't like my GPU OC or the OC is crap (OC is probably crap). I've had a few crashes with the OC, but can't remember if I've had any without; I want to say that Death Stranding seemed to behave similarly with an OC on my 1080. I'm now running HZD with everything cranked at 1440p and the refresh rate set to 100Hz to cap the frame rate and make G-sync happy, the game runs super smooth and looks to stay under 90% GPU usage. Seems that if you can find a sweet spot where it's not running your GPU at 100% with whatever combination of settings, the game runs consistently smooth.

I'm running with a DisplayHDR 600 Samsung 32" monitor and this game has some really bright scenes, I can only imagine what a 1000nit screen would output.

Started playing more recently since I got a 3090. Either the game doesn't like my GPU OC or the OC is crap (OC is probably crap). I've had a few crashes with the OC, but can't remember if I've had any without; I want to say that Death Stranding seemed to behave similarly with an OC on my 1080. I'm now running HZD with everything cranked at 1440p and the refresh rate set to 100Hz to cap the frame rate and make G-sync happy, the game runs super smooth and looks to stay under 90% GPU usage. Seems that if you can find a sweet spot where it's not running your GPU at 100% with whatever combination of settings, the game runs consistently smooth.

I'm running with a DisplayHDR 600 Samsung 32" monitor and this game has some really bright scenes, I can only imagine what a 1000nit screen would output.

For what it's worth, this game helped me diagnose some issues with my CPU/RAM overclock. I kept getting crashes in Horizon, but almost nothing else. Then I started tinkering with the AIDA64 stress tests and Handbrake. After a bunch of BIOS tinkering, I eventually got the game to run without ever crashing. I also have a 3090 and figured it was the card initially, but it was everything else in my system instead.

For what it's worth, this game helped me diagnose some issues with my CPU/RAM overclock. I kept getting crashes in Horizon, but almost nothing else. Then I started tinkering with the AIDA64 stress tests and Handbrake. After a bunch of BIOS tinkering, I eventually got the game to run without ever crashing. I also have a 3090 and figured it was the card initially, but it was everything else in my system instead.
Interesting. I don't have anything else OC'd, but I do have some older G.Skill RAM (4×4GB) running its XMP profile instead of the defaults. Might give me an excuse to buy RAM.

Interesting. I don't have anything else OC'd, but I do have some older G.Skill RAM (4×4GB) running its XMP profile instead of the defaults. Might give me an excuse to buy RAM.

At least in my case, I ended up having to put in XMP values manually (even though they were supposedly showing up correctly) and tweak my voltage. There was a lot of trial and error (and using BlueScreenView + WhoCrashed with AIDA64), but I eventually dialed it in after about a week. Just to be safe, I full-on re-installed Windows after getting all of those blue screens and crashdumps, too. I haven't had any crashes of any sort since.

Reactions: djoye
like this
Think I sorted out my issue.
  1. Found that I was running a driver from September. Within the past two weeks I used DDU (safe mode) and then NVCleanstall to reinstall the driver, either Windows slipped in an old driver in the process or I somehow selected an old driver. Really strange. Was running 456.38, now running 460.89.
  2. I had installed a new Corsair HX1000 power supply to support the RTX 3090 (Seasonic 750W didn't cut it) and initially used one PCIe lead that has two 6+2 pin connectors; I didn't feel comfortable with that, but figured they wouldn't do that if it wasn't adequate. Maybe it's not adequate for a power-hungry card, I switched to using two separate PCIe leads and I don't appear to be having any stability issues with an OC on the card.

For what it's worth, this game helped me diagnose some issues with my CPU/RAM overclock.

Yep. The shader optimization seems to be brutal on the CPU and/or memory. You get through that without a BSOD, you likely have a stable "gaming" overclock. Ask me how I know... lol.

edit: The game also does seem to CTD quite easily with too much GPU overclock. So it's also great for testing GPU stability. Overall, a good game to be playing if you're building a new system.

Last edited:
Back