Horizon: Zero Dawn coming to PC

bink

[H]ard|Gawd
Heh i updated to the amd optional driver and it now crashes every 15-20 minutes. I guess ill roll back. Lol

MavericK

Zero Cool
There's a 1.01 patch that supposedly fixes some of the crashing issues.

I must already have the patch because it doesn't say there's any updates for me - game crashed while I was paused (actually it just straight-up closed with no error).

Overall it does feel a bit more stable, though.

J3RK

[H]F Junkie
I’ve only played about an hour so far, but no problems yet. i7-9700/2070 Super. Settings are more or less maximum with a few minor tweaks. The game is off to a decent start now that I’m done with all the tutorial crap. We’ll see if it holds my attention now. :D Lately if it’s not a cool 2D game, I seem to have game-ADD. None of the “big hits” seem to hold my attention like they used to.

I had it torrented for a while but it just started crashing. Just bought it on steam and now there's no more crashes.

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
Maybe the crashing is an anti piracy mechanism.

Doubt it, probably an out of date version and he didn't have the patch installed. New version seems better.

That is why I am waiting. I figure in a few more weeks they'll further get it where it should be, and probably will find it for 50% off soon.

GoldenTiger

Fully [H]
Doubt it, probably an out of date version and he didn't have the patch installed. New version seems better.

That is why I am waiting. I figure in a few more weeks they'll further get it where it should be, and probably will find it for 50% off soon.
I know, it was tongue in cheek :). I'm waiting for a sale too. Hopefully they fix the AF, since the lack of UT would drive me nuts!

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
I wouldn't let this AF thing stop you. I've had two crashes in 25 hours of gameplay so far and both were arguably my fault partially. We all know how these things go. Some people have more problems than others for whatever reasons.

Domingo

Fully [H]
The AF thing can be "fixed" in the Nvidia control panel. I'm guessing AMD has something similar. Not as good as an in-game fix from the developers, but it's nothing that should stop you from playing now.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
I wouldn't let this AF thing stop you. I've had two crashes in 25 hours of gameplay so far and both were arguably my fault partially. We all know how these things go. Some people have more problems than others for whatever reasons.

And I'd just like to ensure I get the good experience. The small little issues like physics bugs and the like aren't a huge game breaker but may as well wait a short time as they'll probably be fixed soon.

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
The AF thing can be "fixed" in the Nvidia control panel. I'm guessing AMD has something similar. Not as good as an in-game fix from the developers, but it's nothing that should stop you from playing now.

Can it now? Someone said earlier in the thread even CPs weren't doing it.

MavericK

Zero Cool
Seems more stable lately, I did get one weird crash where I got a bunch of artifacting on the screen and then the crash message. Shouldn't have been my GPU.

Level 53 I think, just started doing the Frozen Wilds stuff before finishing the main story.

like this

Domingo

Fully [H]
Can it now? Someone said earlier in the thread even CPs weren't doing it.

Per the PC Gaming Wiki and Steam forums it works. You have to delete and re-compile the shaders afterward. That's for Nvidia at least. Postings seem to be talking about control panels in general, so I'm guessing AMD can do it, too. It worked fine for me a week ago, but I'm sans video card and can't test it out right now.

like this

T4rd

Fully [H]
https://www.gog.com/game/horizon_zero_dawn_complete_edition

I saw this and I couldn't believe my eyes. OMG I will probably buy it again just to support releasing more games on GoG.

Nice, wonder if it'll still be $50 on there still though. I haven't seen this game go on sale at all yet on Steam. Was one of my fav games on PS4, but didn't want to spend more than $30 on it again, esp. with all the bugs at launch and no DLSS or RT support.

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
Interesting. I hope Sony does more releases like this. Steam, no extra DRM, then GOG a bit later (or at the same time).

DPI

Nitpick Police
Nice, wonder if it'll still be $50 on there still though. I haven't seen this game go on sale at all yet on Steam. Was one of my fav games on PS4, but didn't want to spend more than $30 on it again, esp. with all the bugs at launch and no DLSS or RT support.
But then it's not really a bargain bin title that needs to devalue itself with fire sales. Its a AAA easily worth $50 even years later, and it'll hold its value just like Rockstar games hold their value and avoid the bargain bin.

As for the launch bugs they're irrelevant now and were mostly overblown.

T4rd

Fully [H]
But then it's not really a bargain bin title that needs to devalue itself with fire sales. Its a AAA easily worth $50 even years later, and it'll hold its value just like Rockstar games hold their value and avoid the bargain bin.

As for the launch bugs they're irrelevant now and were mostly overblown.

I agree, but I also got this game on sale digitally directly on PSN 3 months after it launched on PS4 for $40 (plus a coupon code that came with my PS4 Pro that brought it down to like $30 - but that's irrelevant really). I definitely agree it's worth $50 for a first time player though, as it was my GOTY for 2017. If I didn't already have so many other newer and decently rated/reviewed games in my backlog already on all platforms, I wouldn't have an issue rebuying this at $50 again too. But I'm also kinda hoping they'll patch or "remaster" this game again for PS5 for me to replay on there again instead too.

ManofGod

[H]F Junkie

I loved Red Dead Redemption 2 and played it from beginning to end. I have yet to play Horizon Zero Dawn nor buy it, would I enjoy this in the same way? Thanks.

Shoganai

Gawd
I loved Red Dead Redemption 2 and played it from beginning to end. I have yet to play Horizon Zero Dawn nor buy it, would I enjoy this in the same way? Thanks.
It's still my favorite game on PS4, but I haven't played RDR2 yet.

T4rd

Fully [H]

Yes, I think you would. I've played through both RDR2 and HZD and enjoyed HZD much more at least. So much so that I replayed HZD again on it's hardest difficultly (on NG+). I never felt compelled to replay RDR2 again.

SnowBeast

[H]ard|Gawd
I liked RDR2, but still haven't finished it. HZD though, my goodness. The story sucked me in. I am back questing now and probably and headed towards playing again at top level New Game +. RDR2 has pulled me into it like this one did.

JavaLava

Weaksauce

Horizon in my opinion is one of the best story games in a long time with top notch gameplay (at least the PS4 version...haven't played the PC version yet). Its the first game since Vice City that I completed 100% and explored the world top to bottom.