Horizon Forbidden West

I am enjoying it quite a bit. Level 32 and getting to the 3rd sub routine. Game has been dope.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Lvl 44 and just got the 3rd sub. My OCD been in overdrive. I try to focus on the main story and just get side tracked by all the ?. Games like this normally don't hold my interest as long as this has so I am enjoying it greatly.

Somehow I lost all of my processed metal blocks yesterday. I looked to see if I sold them by mistake, but there was no option to re-buy them. I went back to some earlier saves and they were gone there, too. I didn't have a ton left, but I did have at least 15. Am thinking it might be related to the update that rolled out. There went any chance I'd ever get any of my better gear items any upgrades. At least I've finally completed the 3 missions that give you the unlock items you need throughout the world. If you're avoiding those missions, you might as well just go ahead and do 'em. They don't take that long, nor do they advance the plot in any negative way.

I'm about 45-50ish (I'd have to double check the save file for an exact count) hours into the game and while I'm still enjoying it I've also found myself agreeing with a lot of what others in this thread have said. I started out trying to do every side-quest I came across, but that ended as soon as I went hunting for the first sub-routine and was constantly bombarded with side-quests at every single tiny settlement I ran across. Its way, way too much. The first game had a lot of side stuff, but it rarely felt overwhelming and it all truly felt optional. In FW it feels like you need to do some side stuff in order to get weapons that are actually decent. I made it to end game using weapons and armor I could buy or got from main quests and the end boss kicked my ass, pretty hard. Going back to a pre-end save I started doing some more side stuff and found the game giving me much better items. Even the Hunting Grounds stuff gives weapons that are significantly better than anything you can buy with normal currency or you get from late-game quests. The sheer amount of, mostly garbage, weapons and armor in the game is kind of stupid. They really messed up with power scaling as I don't feel notably more powerful now than I did in the early game, I just have more options.

On another note: Most of the bosses in the game are decent and relatively fun fights. By the end game they just start being massive, massive, ammo sponges. The last two bosses in the game would be really fun fights if they didn't turn into tests of endurance and materials. Their attacks are mostly well done, they're not hard to learn, and their elemental strengths and weaknesses seem fitting for end-game bosses. However, the sheer amount of health they have gets frustrating.

PS: The two valor skills in the Survival tree are godlike. If anyone is struggling with any of the earlier bosses in the game or some of the other encounters level one of those up and use it.

Finished this last night and I really enjoyed the end. Can't wait for Horizon 3 cause you know it's going to happen. The legendary weapons are really great, but I only got 2 of them and only used one mainly at the end, but it's worth getting them. I might come back to an old save like Derangel and get them before the final battle later on and try it again, or wait till this game shows up on PC and do it then.

My playtime was about 100hours but that was due to my stealth and strip the machine of parts game play. A lot of that time was spent hiding waiting for aggro to drop and taking more parts off the machine.

I like nearly everything about the game except the inventory/upgrade system. That's been my bugaboo. Well, that and lengthy conversations that you can't speed up. It seems random which ones you can vs. can't.
I'm still rocking and rolling with my barely upgraded purple gear and hoping for the best when I get to the end. I'm hoping being pretty high level (40+) will alleviate my lack of weapon/armor upgrades.

Reactions: djoye
like this
I like nearly everything about the game except the inventory/upgrade system. That's been my bugaboo. Well, that and lengthy conversations that you can't speed up. It seems random which ones you can vs. can't.
I'm still rocking and rolling with my barely upgraded purple gear and hoping for the best when I get to the end. I'm hoping being pretty high level (40+) will alleviate my lack of weapon/armor upgrades.
That crosses my mind often. I understand them not wanting you to skip critical information, but when I'm on mission #199 of X person ran off into machine territory, please retrieve them while fighting Y large machine(s), I think I can afford to speed read and skip some of the dialog.

Saw your comment about processed metal blocks and I'm gonna be pissed if mine are gone because I haven't yet noticed.

I have been selling processed metal blocks indiscriminately….well shit.

I have been selling processed metal blocks indiscriminately….well shit.
Yeah, those can be used for trading. I sold a friggin pristine skull before and found out it was required to buy something else, I've since stopped selling anything other than statues, jewelry/watches, keys('chimes'), and those electronic eye things. I'm sitting on tons of stuff and I haven't even upgraded some of my main gear because I'm scared to use resources. Some of that stuff they say can be sold for shards fail to mention they can also be traded for gear.

I went through the Las Vegas section for the Poseidon kernel last night, pretty cool area. Visually impressive. The game can still pull me back in a bit, I just wish the dialogue wasn’t so corny. To be fair I just finished The Witcher 3 prior to playing this game which had great dialogue, so my expectation may be a bit skewed.

After 55 hours, I finally finished the game last night (main and "story" side quests). Overall I enjoyed it, but I still stand by the combat mechanics was poorly implemented. This reddit article mostly sums up my thoughts Other then that, my spoiler thoughts:

- I enjoyed the story of why the Zeniths came back up throughout the game until the REAL reason on why they came back from the final mission
- Nemesis just seems like lazy writing. Can't say im excited for it, but will stay optimistic
- They should of kept Tilda friendly and carry her over into the third game in my opinion
- Story didn't go to far into the Zeniths (at least the other 3 main Zeniths that isnt Tilda)
- So the Quen are from Hawaii I assume? Can't imagine there wooden boat is from Asia? This still raises some questions though. How did they get there? Everyone migrated from Nora Mountain I thought (have always been curious if other "Nora Mountains" exist...seems like a bad choice to put all of humanity rebirth in one spot). Or less I missed something, it sounded like the Quen had a hard journey coming to the West lands and never attempted that before?

Don't get my wrong, I am excited for a sequel and I did quite enjoy this game. Just seems like the story writers went a little crazy to add on continuality.

After 55 hours, I finally finished the game last night (main and "story" side quests). Overall I enjoyed it, but I still stand by the combat mechanics was poorly implemented. This reddit article mostly sums up my thoughts Other then that, my spoiler thoughts:

- I enjoyed the story of why the Zeniths came back up throughout the game until the REAL reason on why they came back from the final mission
- Nemesis just seems like lazy writing. Can't say im excited for it, but will stay optimistic

I liked the real reason personally. I thought it was a good that, even though they knew what happened on earth these nearly immortal people didn't learn their lesson and their hybiris wasn't corrected.

- They should of kept Tilda friendly and carry her over into the third game in my opinion
- Story didn't go to far into the Zeniths (at least the other 3 main Zeniths that isnt Tilda)
- So the Quen are from Hawaii I assume? Can't imagine there wooden boat is from Asia? This still raises some questions though. How did they get there? Everyone migrated from Nora Mountain I thought (have always been curious if other "Nora Mountains" exist...seems like a bad choice to put all of humanity rebirth in one spot). Or less I missed something, it sounded like the Quen had a hard journey coming to the West lands and never attempted that before?

Don't get my wrong, I am excited for a sequel and I did quite enjoy this game. Just seems like the story writers went a little crazy to add on continuality.

I thought the first game was just from the "Nora" perspective but in the end I always assumed there were other sites. The only real difference between the sites is that Elizabeth's DNA was at the Nora facility.

Last edited:

I thought the first game was just from the "Nora" perspective but in the end I always assumed there were other sites. The only real difference between the sites is that Elizabeth's DNA was at the Nora facility.

While that can easily be written I'm sure, currently right now I want to say that's not the case (even its a assumption to make). At least how I view it, all of humanity was "Saved" by Elizabeth and Zero Dawn and all of humanity rebirth hope was put in the Nora mountain that was suppose to have the Apollo database to teach them. I would think other sites would of been mentioned in the Zero Dawn explanations. I am sure we can write in some Fallout style storyline, etc to bring in a Europe/Asia region that emerged from a underground vault :)

I'm finally at the end of the line and have managed to alleviate most of my OCD by completing major side missions (like killing all the rebels, completing all the salvage missions, all tallnecks, all couldrons, etc.) as well. The only other thing I want to complete is the last hunting lodge, which I bailed on very early in the game. I figure I'm level 50 now, so I can probably get it done. It doesn't seem like there's a trophy related to beating everyone at Strike, which is weird. Especially considering how conservative some players are and what it takes to beat them.

Overall, I think this game is a solid B that could have been an A had it followed the same weapon/upgrade system as the original. There honestly isn't really even a reason for the way things are done in this game. Do we really need 100 different weapons with randomized effects? Do we really need to make people grind obscure parts and shoot off very specific pieces? Hell, do the weaves even need to be in this game at all?

EDIT: I completed the last hunting missions (the last of which barely made any sense to me) and finished the final mission, too. Things went more or less as expected plot-wise. I actually hoped for a different twist that would make Horizon 3 VERY different, but alas it wasn't meant to be. Whatever they end up doing, I hope they go back to the inventory and elemental systems from the first game. Wild guess, I bet things simply take place on another continent.

Last edited:
like this
If you start the Gemini quest do you still get a chance to do other quests before end game. It felt like the game saying start Gemini and it will lock you into the 4 remaining main quests and then let my balls go elsewhere.

If you start the Gemini quest do you still get a chance to do other quests before end game. It felt like the game saying start Gemini and it will lock you into the 4 remaining main quests and then let my balls go elsewhere.

At least in my game, I was able to do anything I wanted until I began the final mission. That mission takes roughly 30-45 minutes and the game has a pop-up warning you that you can't do anything else once you begin. After you complete it, you can seemingly do any other missions you have in your journal, but I guess some might have disappeared.

I'm finally at the end of the line and have managed to alleviate most of my OCD by completing major side missions (like killing all the rebels, completing all the salvage missions, all tallnecks, all couldrons, etc.) as well. The only other thing I want to complete is the last hunting lodge, which I bailed on very early in the game. I figure I'm level 50 now, so I can probably get it done. It doesn't seem like there's a trophy related to beating everyone at Strike, which is weird. Especially considering how conservative some players are and what it takes to beat them.

Overall, I think this game is a solid B that could have been an A had it followed the same weapon/upgrade system as the original. There honestly isn't really even a reason for the way things are done in this game. Do we really need 100 different weapons with randomized effects? Do we really need to make people grind obscure parts and shoot off very specific pieces? Hell, do the weaves even need to be in this game at all?

EDIT: I completed the last hunting missions (the last of which barely made any sense to me) and finished the final mission, too. Things went more or less as expected plot-wise. I actually hoped for a different twist that would make Horizon 3 VERY different, but alas it wasn't meant to be. Whatever they end up doing, I hope they go back to the inventory and elemental systems from the first game. Wild guess, I bet things simply take place on another continent.
I am glad I am not the only one with a gripe about the change to weapons/upgrade. I am enjoying the game but the unnecessary complexity they added to upgrading everything kind of grinds on me as I play. The first game seemed to flow better as you progressed. I turned off the loot system off in regard to the targeted loot drop. For some I can see the appeal. I looked into the grind for legendary weapons. No thanks. The story is holding my interest. Every time I go, well that's cheese something else will counter that feeling and I happily continue. I agree that the game is a solid B+ for me so far.

I am glad I am not the only one with a gripe about the change to weapons/upgrade. I am enjoying the game but the unnecessary complexity they added to upgrading everything kind of grinds on me as I play. The first game seemed to flow better as you progressed. I turned off the loot system off in regard to the targeted loot drop. For some I can see the appeal. I looked into the grind for legendary weapons. No thanks. The story is holding my interest. Every time I go, well that's cheese something else will counter that feeling and I happily continue. I agree that the game is a solid B+ for me so far.

I ended up just ignoring the upgrade system once I got to the home base. I boosted some things early on (green and 1-2 blues), but no purple or gold items. I think I might've gotten a couple to the first upgrade point just playing the game normally, but nothing more than that. There isn't really much point since you have to grind powerful enemies to get the upgrade materials. If you have to fight the powerful enemies to get the upgrade...what's the upgrade actually for? It's backwards. Luckily, you don't need to worry about any of that to win the game or even to complete the optional hunting grounds, arena, etc. missions. I did that stuff with almost entirely stock gear.

I ended up just ignoring the upgrade system once I got to the home base. I boosted some things early on (green and 1-2 blues), but no purple or gold items. I think I might've gotten a couple to the first upgrade point just playing the game normally, but nothing more than that. There isn't really much point since you have to grind powerful enemies to get the upgrade materials. If you have to fight the powerful enemies to get the upgrade...what's the upgrade actually for? It's backwards. Luckily, you don't need to worry about any of that to win the game or even to complete the optional hunting grounds, arena, etc. missions. I did that stuff with almost entirely stock gear.

Same, every now and then I would look at the slots and go thru the weaves and wait for a stat to increase and then just randomly use it. Alot of my weapons never had any weaves/inserts by the end. As for Legendary, if you do the Salvage quests, you get a pretty good set of armor at the end. The rest I never got as it was grindy and just no interest to grind the hunting grounds, arena, etc.

Same, every now and then I would look at the slots and go thru the weaves and wait for a stat to increase and then just randomly use it. Alot of my weapons never had any weaves/inserts by the end. As for Legendary, if you do the Salvage quests, you get a pretty good set of armor at the end. The rest I never got as it was grindy and just no interest to grind the hunting grounds, arena, etc.

Yeah, I got the salvage quest armor. That's what I was wearing at the end of the game. I got a gold bow for completing all of the rebel bases, too. That ends up starting a unique story arch that I enjoyed playing. There were some legendary items for sale at a couple vendors, but I never had the shit they wanted. Because of course they want RAR stuff you can only get from killing certain foes to buy a weapon that helps you kill those particular foes o_O

Yeah, I got the salvage quest armor. That's what I was wearing at the end of the game. I got a gold bow for completing all of the rebel bases, too. That ends up starting a unique story arch that I enjoyed playing. There were some legendary items for sale at a couple vendors, but I never had the shit they wanted. Because of course they want RAR stuff you can only get from killing certain foes to buy a weapon that helps you kill those particular foes o_O
Had some epics from arena challenges for the final quest, melted everything. Probably overkill.

70 hours and change and I'm done and I wish I weren't.

Short and sweet: While flawed (what isn't?) I consider this is a special series of games across the boards. Outstanding. I can't wait to see what comes next.

I finished this in 81 hours on the default difficulty level. I think I got almost everything, but I skipped the arenas and hunting lodges. I enjoyed the story and gameplay, I'll probably buy the DLC (assuming that'll be a thing).

I think Aloy comes off as being too nice, but I'm glad they didn't pull any nice guy BS when it came to dealing with Regalla and the militant Zenith guy.

Something they totally underused was Aloy's dialogue choice tree. There were 2-3 instances if it super early in the game and I think I only recall it being used one more time. Almost like the devs forgot about it.

like this
I am 70 hours in and just getting to Thebes. I basically cleared the entire map of ??? And quests. I been level 50 for a while now. I got all the skill trees completed but the surge abilities. I am just going to push through the rest of the game and stop getting side tracked.

I think 50 is the level cap I was level 50 for a long long time and it never went up. You can still earn skill points from doing side quests though since many of them award skill points.

Yeah, 50's the level cap. I ended up maxing out 3 of the skill trees and filling up most of the others by the end of the game. I found the traps to be extremely impractical for my style of play, so I barely touched that tree, though. For the Valor Surge, the one that instantly heals you and gives you a giant blue healthbar was the one I stuck with.

Finally beat it tonight. Took 80 hour and completely 81% of the notebook. Great game.

I think 50 is the level cap I was level 50 for a long long time and it never went up. You can still earn skill points from doing side quests though since many of them award skill points.

I am towards the end, did almost all the side quests / errands...have almost all my skill trees full. I believe you can get them all filled throughout the completion of the game. I have 70ish hours.

Forbidden West- Patch 1.09 released

https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/ts69fl/horizon_forbidden_west_patch_109/

In addition to releasing this brand-new update for the game, the development team also provided an update on various reported visual issues within Forbidden West, including issues with over-sharpening, V-Sync frame pacing, dynamic resolution, Screen Space Shadows, and Screen Space Ambient Occlusion:

"Our Content and Rendering teams have been hard at work to address the image quality issues that some of you have been experiencing", the team writes. "These issues were especially visible on certain TV’s in the jungle areas of the game. As the issues that present themselves are highly dependent on the brand and make of the television, the team is extremely thankful for all the help our community has provided in guiding them in their search"

Through our patches, we’ve implemented a series of fixes designed to reduce the issues. Here are some of the changes we’ve included:

Rendering Changes

-Removed over-sharpening in both Resolution and Performance modes
-Reduced the “Saturation Boost” that could occur during motion blur
-Added Temporal Filtering to the Cinematic Quality Depth-of-Field filter
-Tuned the V-Sync frame pacing
-Improved the average dynamic resolution by refining the frame feedback loop
-Improved the Screen Space Shadows for very thin objects such as grass blades
-Balanced the noise reduction of the Screen Space Ambient Occlusion

Content Changes

-Reduced the amount of animation on foliage such as clovers, sorrel and the red cover grass to over distance to reduce noise
-Reduced brightness of the white tips of the red cover grass to reduce noise over distance

Via your TV settings, please make sure to:

-Set your TV to “Game mode”, if your TV supports it
-Turn off any “sharpening” filter on your TV, it may even be active in “Game Mode”
-It’s best to use the default setting of your TV and avoid any changes that affect the “Contrast”, “Vibrancy”, or “Saturation” of your TV

https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/ts6aum/an_update_regarding_visual_issues/

I am towards the end, did almost all the side quests / errands...have almost all my skill trees full. I believe you can get them all filled throughout the completion of the game. I have 70ish hours.
I don't think you can max out every tree. I don't think there anything left for me to do that gives skill points. I have only 3 trees fully maxed out with the surges too. The rest don't have surges maxed out.

So, when's the pc release? ;)
35 more months.

Finished it. Might go back to play the rest. Hit level 50 but still feel there is a lot to do. For example I only have one legendary weapon. Nothing else is legendary. Also I missed the legendary bow because I spared someone. What fucking bullshit.

Guerrilla Games has just deployed a new update for Horizon Forbidden West, which combines patches 1.10 and 1.11

https://old.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/txl29g/patch_110_111/

UI/UX

-Activating a new quest prompt when it shows up in the HUD will now correctly highlight that quest in the Quests tab in the journal.
-Fixed an issue where trying to access a workbench after selling all weapons would result in an infinite black screen.
-Action prompts and quest markers can now be hidden in the custom HUD settings.

Graphics

-Improved visibility in the underwater section of the Relic Ruins: Isle of Spires.
-Changed the sort order on some vegetation assets to improve rendering time.
-Made adjustments to the dynamic resolution system to scale better.

Performance and Stability

-Multiple crash fixes.
-Multiple streaming fixes in game and in cinematics.

Other

-Added subtitles for the lyrics of the title song, “In The Flood”. Time for a karaoke session!
-Added a “Toggle” option in the Settings menu for loot actions.
-Fixed multiple control remapping conflicts.
-Fixed a default control conflict between Mount Light Attack and Select/Deselect Track while in Focus mode.
-Fixed an issue where Aloy could become locked in an animation if a Valor Surge was activated while using a zipline.
-Fixed an issue where killing a hovering Stormbird could sometimes result in its corpse being stuck in a floating position.
-Fixed an issue where difficulty-related settings could be enabled in difficulty modes that did not allow them.
-Fixed multiple instances where Aloy could get stuck in geometry.
-Multiple fixes to Aloy’s animations.
-Multiple audio fixes and improvements.
-Multiple lighting fixes and improvements in cinematics.
-Multiple fixes and improvements to body and facial animations in cinematics.
-Multiple fixes and improvements to NPC animations and to NPC props in settlements.
-Multiple localization fixes and improvements.
-Multiple other bug fixes.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Sigh...Have to wait for the PC release. :cry:
If you REALLY like the game, Prime 1 Studios has statues coming out from the 1rst game. (But aren't anywhere near cheap though)
1649261124994.png

Prime 1 Studio's have really high quality statues and most are huge. I have 2 statues from them but none from that line. I'd love to see those and have money and space for them.

Elden Ring vs Horizon Forbidden West is going to make for an interesting fight in February

Fight? Elden Ring is within the realm of niche b/c From Software games are notoriously difficult so I think it won't be a fight if we are talking about sales numbers... HFW will sell millions.

you're going to be in for a surprise...Elden Ring will outsell HFW...mainly because it's multiplatform

Elden Ring!

Back