Horizon Forbidden West

It turned out just fine. I bought PS4. Downloaded it which I shouldn’t have done. Then when game got released it said upgrade for free on product page which is what I did. Then I downloaded PS5 version and deleted the PS4 version. Btw in my region on the product page on PS5 I couldn’t select PS4 version so I bought the game on the PS mobile app to get the PS4 version. Wuttanubs at Sony.

It is stupid but money is money.

Yeah, you can only buy PS5 versions of games from the store in PS5.

I ended up getting the Digital Deluxe version. Loving it so far, but haven’t had time to really dig into it beyond exploring a little of the area past the tutorial.

Btw whoever thinks this game is playable at resolution mode must be smoking some serious dope. I tried it for a bit and cutscenes look like slideshows and gameplay is even worse. Plus the sharpening can make your eyes bleed. They might fix it but I will take 60 fps and occasional shimmering over sub 30 fps crap.

The shimmering is pretty bad in performance mode, but it does feel better to play in that mode than in resolution mode. They really need to patch performance mode. In some areas you get rendering errors like black boxes showing up, and like smearing like effects. That doesn't happen in resolution mode. Personally I can play either mode, but after playing most of the day in performance, it's hard to go back to resolution but I don't find it unplayable.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I've seen drinker stream the game yesterday, and I'm shocked. It seems they have thrown out what made the first game it's own thing and turned it into a generic Tomb Raider and Uncharted clone. So much so that some mechanics are directly lifted from Tomb Raider, unchanged. Now I'm a little less peeved that PS5 is still completely unavailable here.

Don’t know what you are talking about but they should just call the game Horizon Forbidden Dope as I have already spent close to 8 or 9 hours in it and I finally hit the Forbidden West lol. Absolutely a fun time. Tons to do and just downright gorgeous.

I've seen drinker stream the game yesterday, and I'm shocked. It seems they have thrown out what made the first game it's own thing and turned it into a generic Tomb Raider and Uncharted clone. So much so that some mechanics are directly lifted from Tomb Raider, unchanged. Now I'm a little less peeved that PS5 is still completely unavailable here.
You, sir, are on some potent crack.

I love when people come into threads to shit on a game they're not even playing based on some shitty twitch stream and some snap judgements based on them. As if the complaints they have based on said shitty twitch stream have any merit next to the countless reviews and posts in the thread that have none of the complaints they're attempting to make against the game. Or if the one gameplay mechanic they don't like based on the shitty twitch stream somehow negates the whole story and all the other attributes that make up the whole game.

Good times.

I have a few hours into it...enjoying it. It feels very much like the first one in mechanics....which is a great thing! The resolution mode, OMG slideshow, but the performance mode is excellent and still looks beautiful. Had a couple stuttering issues, but could be when I woke the PS5 out of hold state and went back to playing...i reset the game and played for another hour or so.

There are new mechanics in the game. I can already count 3 which are rope caster, javelin and glider. Not sure when in tomb Raider or uncharted I had javelins and glider.

There are new mechanics in the game. I can already count 3 which are rope caster, javelin and glider. Not sure when in tomb Raider or uncharted I had javelins and glider.
Not only has he not played THIS game, but I don’t think he’s played those either. He has played the Complaining Game though. 5 stars.

I was referring to the pulling down obstacles with a rope mechanic that is directly lifted from tomb raider. You can pretend that's not true, but why would you? Also the previous game had very open levels and very little climbing and jumping from ledge to ledge, which is full on tomb raider / uncharted. Yeah, I've only seen a few levels of the game, but what I've seen reminded me more of Shadow of the Tomb Raider, than Zero Dawn.

Now am I saying the game is bad? No I'm just shocked that they went the copycat route instead of continuing their own way.

By the way judging how none of you addressed the points I raised instead directly jumped to slurs and insults, tells a story in of itself: I can't believe that you have so fragile egos that any negative observation is instantly interpreted as "shitting on the game"

Not only has he not played THIS game, but I don’t think he’s played those either. He has played the Complaining Game though. 5 stars.
Yeah, that includes making up fantasies in your head to stroke your ego. If only, IDK there was some way to be confronted by reality in another topic.

Last edited:
I was referring to the pulling down obstacles with a rope mechanic that is directly lifted from tomb raider. You can pretend that's not true, but why would you? Also the previous game had very open levels and very little climbing and jumping from ledge to ledge, which is full on tomb raider / uncharted. Yeah, I've only seen a few levels of the game, but what I've seen reminded me more of Shadow of the Tomb Raider, than Zero Dawn.

Now am I saying the game is bad? No I'm just shocked that they went the copycat route instead of continuing their own way.

By the way judging how none of you addressed the points I raised instead directly jumped to slurs and insults, tells a story in of itself: I can't believe that you have so fragile egos that any negative observation is instantly interpreted as "shitting on the game"

Yeah, that includes making up fantasies in your head to stroke your ego. If only, IDK there was some way to be confronted by reality in another topic.
Even you must admit that coming into a thread with “I watched so and so’s stream…” and sensationally jumping to what amounts to ‘I’m shocked, they abandoned the core principles of the first game and sold out as a copy-cat’ is a bit absurd. I’m all for differing opinions (the world would be pretty boring without them) but at least base your opinion on some form of legitimate reality. At least try the game yourself, and for longer than a single sit-down watch of a twitch stream.

Welcome to the new age of influencers telling their crowd how they feel about a game, then those 5000+ people agreeing with that influencer, and then spreading the same shit.

Gotta love dem people!

One of the common criticisms of the first game was how limited you were in climbing and traversing the land. Now that they addressed that by giving you more options for climbing instead of awkwardly jumping up geometry not meant for climbing or running around an obstacle, they're criticized for copying Uncharted or Tomb Raider, lol. Get dafuq outta here with that. I never understand people complaining about more options and diversity in games, esp. in instances like this where the vast majority of it is, wait for it... optional.

I'm so disappointed, already stuck.

at 01:37:09, i don't have a grapple point here. Nothing shows up, i jump and fall to my doom. Tried quitting and reloading the same, nothing. Like wtf.

OMG

Have to shoot the stupid cable first, i'm not sold on the platforming here. Also why is there a good 2 second pause on some of the jumps where you have to pull yourself up. Aloy will just sit there, awkwardly. I presume they are loading assets but we were told that would never happen on PS5

Last edited:

at 01:37:09, i don't have a grapple point here. Nothing shows up, i jump and fall to my doom. Tried quitting and reloading the same, nothing. Like wtf.

Hmm, I passed that part last night. Don't remember that grapple point either somehow, hah. The two platforms are nearly identical though so I was confused for a min and went back a couple times because I thought I missed the right path. You already released the first cable and are trying to get up to the second one?

OMG

Have to shoot the stupid cable first, i'm not sold on the platforming here. Also why is there a good 2 second pause on some of the jumps where you have to pull yourself up. Aloy will just sit there, awkwardly. I presume they are loading assets but we were told that would never happen on PS5

I think the problem you’re having is the way they handle grapple points. You have to jump with the X button and then press and hold the X button again mid-jump. Keep holding the X button until she grapples up to the point and takes hold, then it’s just like any other hold point. This particular one is weird because the grapple point is positioned below you, so it’s a bit awkward but still works the same way.

Put about 4.5 hours in last night (release day) Had replayed HZD on PC to refresh myself on the story, so not having an FOV slider or M&KB was painfully jarring at first. The climbing mechanics could certainly use some polish, the Focus spamming (with chime) has already gotten irritating, and Aloy's angry lesbian reaction to everyone is also grating my nerves... but aside from that I'm enjoying the over-all game. Obviously gorgeous on PS5, albeit with some pop-in. Characters feel like they were written by the above mentioned angry lesbian, but their delivery is night and day better than HZD. Can't comment on the story yet, but the side missions are Witcher 3 quality so far.

I'll have a better feel after I can sink more hours into it, but aside from my nitpicks, my first impressions are much more positive than negative.

Yeah, you can only buy PS5 versions of games from the store in PS5.

I ended up getting the Digital Deluxe version. Loving it so far, but haven’t had time to really dig into it beyond exploring a little of the area past the tutorial.

Actually I have the PlayStation app installed on my phone. Came home from work last night fired up PS5 and no PS4 option in the store... So fired up the app bought PS4 version through the app, then downloaded PS5 version.

I'm only at the first "big" obstacle not to spoil but my only complaint so far is do the graphics get better ? Sort of unimpressed so far with graphics.

do you realize how dumb those comments sound? (seriously, i'm not calling you dumb personally, just the nature of your statements here.) the *original* tomb raider (1996) was one of the first true 3d games to feature climbing and platforming as a major gameplay element. are we supposed to discount every game that's come out since if they also had climbing/platforming? as the saying goes, "all art is derivative" and the same goes with games. every single AAA game i can think of that i've played, literally every single one, has at least one major element that's aping something that came before it (if it was in the same genre.) horizon zero dawn aped the questing and dialogue systems of witcher 3, ghost of tsushima aped literally like 75% of its gameplay elements from assassin's creed origins, if they're the same genre and came out a couple years apart, chances are you can easily find huge influences in a game.

and if the argument is "well sure but you can copy something TOO much and go too far with it" well, i honestly have never felt like it was some sort of insulting laziness on the part of the developer. most of the time i just enjoy them because the very reason the given element was aped was because it's fun, whether it's some sort of crafting system, fighting system, whatever. also, every one of those games that took something from a previous adds something in its own right (which could then, itself, be found in a future game.)

even the most derivative of games, where almost everything is copied from other games and then tuned, customized, and modified can be absolutely great and widely praised. ghost of tsushima is basically an assassin's creed mix n match but nobody really cared because everything had its own little touch on it, or people just loved the same gameplay loops but with a narrative that made the player a badass samurai guy.

I just started playing and have just finished the intro's....I notice so far I have not heard that 'chime' sound when I think I pick up blue(rare) worded parts.....

Does that sound carry on in this sequel, I became quite fond of it in the first game

I just started playing and have just finished the intro's....I notice so far I have not heard that 'chime' sound when I think I pick up blue(rare) worded parts.....

Does that sound carry on in this sequel, I became quite fond of it in the first game
Yeah it’s not there anymore. I’m with you, I liked it.

There’s some pretty good gear to be had by completing side quests in the Daunt (first region before you head out for the forbidden west). Don’t just skip them!

Man, this game is amaze balls. Minor patching and it will be perfect.
Yeah, I'm getting some of the glitches that ACG pointed out in his review, like phantom crowd noises in one of the bandit villages I cleared out, some weird black bars intruding up from the bottom of the screen during gameplay (think this is that the IGN podcasters were referencing black screens during gameplay, but my whole screen hasn't went black, it's a variable amount of the bottom half of the screen), and some minor texture loading issues.

Gorilla patched the first game a lot within the first 6 months, while adding some new features and graphical effects too, so I'm looking forward to seeing their continued support here.

For day and week one this huge and dense (!) game is in really good shape. I've had a few minor quirks like some of what you all are talking about but not much.

I have been playing this game for like around 20 hours total since it released and I think I might be around 1/4 through going by what the story has revealed so far. This is the most I have played a game on release in a long time. I have not been doing all the side quests but I have done several of them to get skill points. Loving the story and the gameplay is still the same as it was in HZD. There are some new mechanics that are reminiscent of Tomb Raider games (I am talking about the boxes lol) and Batman Arkham games (grapple and glider) but the core of the gameplay is still the same, monster hunting using accuracy and type of weapon choices. Inventory management has gotten better with the auto-stash feature but also at the same time, I can see that being a problem if some new weave mod or weapon weapon mod you just get in the middle of a quest gets thrown into your stash, you won't be able to equip it till you get back to your stash. The upgrades of inventory are still the same as the last time, though I think the RNG is a bit better at drops, though that could just be at the moment, since "random" drops could just currently be good and change later. Weapon upgrades at least feel more in your control as it tells you with the focus which parts of the machine you need to shoot off to get them.

It's my GOTY right now, the only thing that I can see overtaking it is Elden Ring. It's going to be tough when that one gets released on Thursday. I might make a throw away test build on Thursday just to test ER but stop and finish this game first before really getting into ER. ER will look better of course given my PC rig , no more choosing between resolution or performance I can do both at the same time on PC. :D

Time to go back and play again LOL.

Same here. I think I sunk already a good 12+ hours this weekend. My head is spinning right now but that is ok. Also watched Uncharted movie in IMAX and loved it.

What an amazing weekend of playstation!

I never knew PS5 (and perhaps PS4 as well) had such amazing motion controls. I was having such a hard time aiming at enemy weak points with the thumb stick. Then I turned on motion controls and now I can pinpoint individual pixels on the screen. Must-enable feature IMO.

I never knew PS5 (and perhaps PS4 as well) had such amazing motion controls. I was having such a hard time aiming at enemy weak points with the thumb stick. Then I turned on motion controls and now I can pinpoint individual pixels on the screen. Must-enable feature IMO
Right before i got my ps5, i played almost exclusively PC, and crap aiming was very difficult for me for a long time. I think countless hours of BFV boredom during lunch have made it much better. Haven't used motion controls, but thus far i haven't had any problem aiming at tight spaces. Keena was much harder for me, with a similar game style.

I'm probably 20 hours in, done a ton of side quests and i think i'm level 17. Started out so slow, but he story is getting much more intriguing for me. It's not groundbreaking but i'm generally interested in finding out what is next.

You, sir, are on some potent crack.

that's his schtick...games that are really popular or get great reviews he purposely dislikes or likes to nitpick flaws...games that get average or bad reviews he takes the opposite stance...he thinks it sounds edgy and likes to be a contrarian...it's also ironic that he was criticizing me for pointing out the flaws in CP2077 at launch before playing it and yet here he is doing the same with Forbidden West

Reactions: T4rd
like this
You forgetting the biggest new mechanic they copied from BotW. The hand glider! You are full of crap tho.

I've been playing in resolution mode with default settings (motion blur still enabled, etc.). I tweaked the brightness a bit, but I have difficulty seeing things in the environment, like everything is too bright. I can tolerate the 30FPS, it appears to be consistent, but I might try the performance mode.

The only significant visual improvement that has struck me are the character's facial details.

I said this back when the first game came out: I know it's early in the year but the GOTY crown is this game's to lose for me.

I said this back when the first game came out: I know it's early the year but the GOTY crown is this game's to lose for me.
As long as BotW 2 does come out this year and steals it like it did with the 1st one. The 1st Horizon Zero Dawn was by far the better game and deserved game of the year over BotW.

Last edited:
The black squares, several times the screen went all black for a second or two like it was loading, started happening a lot. I closed the game and restarted the PS5 and it seemed to have help remove it. I have a feeling there might be a memory leak somewhere and it might be exacerbated by putting the console into sleep/rest mode while the game is running.

The black squares, several times the screen went all black for a second or two like it was loading, started happening a lot. I closed the game and restarted the PS5 and it seemed to have help remove it. I have a feeling there might be a memory leak somewhere and it might be exacerbated by putting the console into sleep/rest mode while the game is running.
I seen that happen once so far in about 12 hours of play. I haven't restarted the game yet.

Back