Horizon Forbidden West

I dunno, it's going to be hard to resist just getting this on PS4. Likely won't be getting a PS5 any time soon and PC is probably 1-2 years out.

Cool video, thanks for posting. They’ve got some pretty talented actors involved in this series.

I didn't know Carrie Anne-Moss was in this until I saw that video...first Keanu Reeves in Cyberpunk and now her Matrix counterpart in this...Elden Ring vs Horizon Forbidden West is going to make for an interesting fight in February

I dunno, it's going to be hard to resist just getting this on PS4. Likely won't be getting a PS5 any time soon and PC is probably 1-2 years out.
If you have a Pro at least and you really enjoyed the first game, I wouldn't have any hesitancy getting it on PS4. I'm sure it'll still be 30FPS, but will still look great and be completely stable like the first game was.

I didn't know Carrie Anne-Moss was in this until I saw that video...first Keanu Reeves in Cyberpunk and now her Matrix counterpart in this...Elden Ring vs Horizon Forbidden West is going to make for an interesting fight in February
Fight? Elden Ring is within the realm of niche b/c From Software games are notoriously difficult so I think it won't be a fight if we are talking about sales numbers... HFW will sell millions.

Fight? Elden Ring is within the realm of niche b/c From Software games are notoriously difficult so I think it won't be a fight if we are talking about sales numbers... HFW will sell millions.

you're going to be in for a surprise...Elden Ring will outsell HFW...mainly because it's multiplatform

you're going to be in for a surprise...Elden Ring will outsell HFW...mainly because it's multiplatform
Sales might be pretty close between Elden Ring and HFW. The first Horizon sold roughly the same #'s as Dark Souls 3 in spite of it being a Sony exclusive. That's only on the PS4 with no PC sales #'s and data from 2 years ago. Could be quite a bit more with PC sales and 2 more years taken into account.
The caveat is that there are George RR Martin fans that probably wouldn't care about Elden Ring if he wasn't involved. No clue how many, but he's a big name. Then again, that was also the first Horizon IP and it's pretty well known now. Could be interesting, especially if early impressions of either skew good/bad.

FromSoft is a mainstream AAA studio these days. DS3 sold over 10m units and was Bamco’s fastest selling game ever. Even DS1 manger 5.5mil. It’s really not that much of a niche these days.

Well then I wouldn't be counting multi-platform sales... not really fair lol. I think it COULD be close, but Horizon is a system seller franchise and I think it will definitely edge out PlayStation sales in total. Honestly I could care less about sales numbers... I just hope the games are good and fun.

Reminder that this game is supposed to have a free upgrade from PS4 to PS5 versions. And the PS4 version costs $10 less.

So, if you don't mind a PS4 case and disc, you can get the game onto your PS5, for $60, instead of $70.

Last edited:
Reminder that this game is supposed to have a free upgrade from PS4 to PS5 versions. And the PS4 version costs $10 less.

So, if you don't mind a PS4 case and disc, you can get the game onto your PS5, for $60, instead of $70.
Hmm, so what if you just buy the PS4 digital version? I would think the same would apply there too, but if that's the case, it would defeat the point of even selling a $70 PS5 version. I can't think of a previous game that this has happened to. I'm sure there are plenty of PS4 players out there that can't get a PS5 yet and will be buying the digital copy they want to play on PS5 (not with the BC PS4 version either) too when they eventually get one, so they should be entitled to the same free upgrade as the disc buyers.

I'm pretty adverse to buying discs anymore. I'm just not interested in storing or worrying about losing/breaking them over time, esp. since I move every few years.

Edit: IGN is reporting that you can just buy the digital PS4 version as well and you'll still get both PS4 & PS5 versions of the game. Which makes most sense, but at the same time baffling as to why anyone would even spend the $10 extra on the PS5 version alone and not even have the option of playing on a PS4 if you still have one (rare use case, I know). I would actually like to have the PS4 version though since I still have my PS4 Pro that my kids play in case they want to play it on there too.

Last edited:
Hmm, so what if you just buy the PS4 digital version? I would think the same would apply there too, but if that's the case, it would defeat the point of even selling a $70 PS5 version. I can't think of a previous game that this has happened to. I'm sure there are plenty of PS4 players out there that can't get a PS5 yet and will be buying the digital copy they want to play on PS5 (not with the BC PS4 version either) too when they eventually get one, so they should be entitled to the same free upgrade as the disc buyers.

I'm pretty adverse to buying discs anymore. I'm just not interested in storing or worrying about losing/breaking them over time, esp. since I move every few years.

Edit: IGN is reporting that you can just buy the digital PS4 version as well and you'll still get both PS4 & PS5 versions of the game. Which makes most sense, but at the same time baffling as to why anyone would even spend the $10 extra on the PS5 version alone and not even have the option of playing on a PS4 if you still have one (rare use case, I know). I would actually like to have the PS4 version though since I still have my PS4 Pro that my kids play in case they want to play it on there too.
There have been a few games already, where the PS4 version is cheaper. And you can either upgrade for free, or for (usually) $10 ---- But still end up paying less, than simply buying the PS5 version.

FF7 Remake is a free upgrade
Nioh 1 and 2 you can upgrade for free
For the Uncharted Legacy of Thieves collection --- Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy, or the dual pack, can all be upgraded for $10 and you get BOTH games. Even if you are upgrading from Uncharted 4 or Lost Legacy, by themselves.

I am sure there are other games out there, which have similar upgrade situations. Where you can effectively get the game playing on your PS5, for less than outright buying the PS5 game.

However, Horizon Forbidden West Is slightly unique. because its a situation where the PS4 and PS5 versions are releasing at the same time. So, its a new game on PS4, as well. Not a situation where the PS4 version has been out for a while.

The situation with Forbidden West is old news, really. Sony sort of responded to pricing backlash, by saying Forbidden West and a couple of other games, would be free upgrades. As a sort of good will offering. But after that, upgrades will not be free.

However, Horizon Forbidden West Is slightly unique. because its a situation where the PS4 and PS5 versions are releasing at the same time. So, its a new game on PS4, as well. Not a situation where the PS4 version has been out for a while.

Yeah, this is what I was alluding to; previously all PS5 ports/upgrades happened well after the game's initial launch on PS4, so I can see Sony or the publisher justifying a small fee for the second copy and upgrade to PS5 if they put a decent amount of work into improving the game. But launching a game on both platforms at different prices, but the older/cheaper platform game gets you both versions anyways just doesn't make sense whatsoever. So I can see why they aren't going to offer this free upgrade on cross-platform PS games in the future if they must charge $70 for PS5 games from now on.

You know it's interesting that games have essentially stayed the same price throughout the decades now despite being exponentially more complex and expensive to make. I know that is offset by how large of a business it is now compared to a few decades ago, but I wonder what the profit margins look like now with a game like CoD compared to Goldeneye 007 on N64 that was only made by a handful of people and made/sold millions as well.

Yeah, this is what I was alluding to; previously all PS5 ports/upgrades happened well after the game's initial launch on PS4, so I can see Sony or the publisher justifying a small fee for the second copy and upgrade to PS5 if they put a decent amount of work into improving the game. But launching a game on both platforms at different prices, but the older/cheaper platform game gets you both versions anyways just doesn't make sense whatsoever. So I can see why they aren't going to offer this free upgrade on cross-platform PS games in the future if they must charge $70 for PS5 games from now on.

You know it's interesting that games have essentially stayed the same price throughout the decades now despite being exponentially more complex and expensive to make. I know that is offset by how large of a business it is now compared to a few decades ago, but I wonder what the profit margins look like now with a game like CoD compared to Goldeneye 007 on N64 that was only made by a handful of people and made/sold millions as well.

COD Warzone makes over 5 million dollars every single day. The profit margins on COD are insane due to all the microtransaction bullshit in it.

COD Warzone makes over 5 million dollars every single day. The profit margins on COD are insane due to all the microtransaction bullshit in it.

Lol, yeah, but that's a free to play game too and a different business model. I would like to see the difference between two traditional $60 games with no DLC or micro-transactions like almost all of Sony's exclusives.

Lol, yeah, but that's a free to play game too and a different business model. I would like to see the difference between two traditional $60 games with no DLC or micro-transactions like almost all of Sony's exclusives.
It was the same when it wasn't free to play. Fifa alone makes over a billion annually off MT. Madden also makes a ton.

Preordered it on PS5 preload on the 10th. I’m stoked.
Same, hope you bought the PS4 version and saved $10 since you still get the PS5 version with it.
Does anyone know if KB/M will be supported in this one?
Highly doubt it. Would be a nice option for me, but I still ended up preferring the controller on the PC HZD as I do for most 3rd person action/adventure games like this.

I'm waiting for PC unless there is KB/M support. I just couldn't play the first one on PS4 more than a few hours due to how dependent it is on aiming, and honestly it felt like a PC RPG game with the interface, RPG elements, etc.

Usually sales on this stuff, might be the first full price game i've bought in a long time. Usually amazon is a few bucks cheaper.

New Horizon Forbidden West gameplay footage has been shared online today, showcasing the game running on the base PlayStation 4 model...

Looks like gyro support is there! Good news, I could not aim with the PS4 version at all so I waited for PC. Now I'm not sure if I'll wait or not haha.
Wow, forgot gyro aiming existed for a moment. But in games that support it, like BotW does, it definitely adds a nice bit of precision to aiming.

In the first game, you were able to unlock the skill that allows you to aim in slo-mo while jumping, so you could basically cheese most combat encounters by constantly jumping and aiming. I wonder if they'll keep that skill in FW too.

In the first game, you were able to unlock the skill that allows you to aim in slo-mo while jumping, so you could basically cheese most combat encounters by constantly jumping and aiming. I wonder if they'll keep that skill in FW too.
I think most every 3rd person action game has that now. I'd be shocked if it isn't still in there.

Wow just checked the preloaded space and it's like a little over than 87 GB lol. Glad I got the 2tb nvme drive in there. :)

Back