Horizon Forbidden West

Really want to play this but don't really want to buy a PS5 (if I could even get one right now).

I'd like to hope that we don't have to wait 3 years for the PC port like the last game.

I was kind of the same way though I was coming from more of a place of ambivalence. I happened to get through to checkout in a Best Buy drop in mid-March and I thought what the hell why not. I haven’t played anything but the PS5 since. Really one of the best purchases I’ve made in a while. Now my situation might be somewhat unique since I skipped the end of the PS3 era and all of the PS4. So I have a lot of games to catch up on. Long story short - I recommend buying a PS5. Profound statement, I know.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I assume the time to PC port will mostly correlate with how successful the game was on console; Death Stranding flopped by Sony standards and it was ported to PC like 9 months after launch on PS4. All other ports so far have been 2+ years and they were pretty successful on console. Makes sense so Sony can still incentivize prospective console buyers and milk the exclusives as much as possible before porting to PC for additional sales. Then you have suckers like me who buy their games on both platforms because IMO they're generally the best on the market and I would like to support single player games with high production values and virtually no micro-transactions as much as possible.

Horizon Forbidden West Devs On New Abilities, Release Window, And More

Mathijs de Jonge, game director, and Benjamin McCaw, narrative director, from Guerrilla Games discuss Aloy's new abilities, Horizon Forbidden West's release window, and so much more...

I assume the time to PC port will mostly correlate with how successful the game was on console; Death Stranding flopped by Sony standards and it was ported to PC like 9 months after launch on PS4. All other ports so far have been 2+ years and they were pretty successful on console. Makes sense so Sony can still incentivize prospective console buyers and milk the exclusives as much as possible before porting to PC for additional sales. Then you have suckers like me who buy their games on both platforms because IMO they're generally the best on the market and I would like to support single player games with high production values and virtually no micro-transactions as much as possible.

Death Stranding's PC version was announced before the PS4 version even released.

Omg omg mates. Am totally upset. They made aloy fat. Taco mean, WHAT HAPPN?

look! What happn to her face? Has she been eating the whole bloody time while there making the sequel?
View attachment 376277
O deer. Her face looks like an ultra mutated mango! This is worse thn abs from last of us! Well maybe nt, but too bloody close to call.
Post-apocalypses are very stressful.

yes i'm serious. this is insanely, INSANELY stupid.

graGVSH.jpg

Taco, please try not to fall for the outrage clicks that so many gaming Youtube channels or websites rely on

Last edited:
I mean, she looks older, because she is older. Who gives a fuck? Why is this a problem for anyone?

I think the game is only 6 months after the end of the first game. Unless she found some Krispy Kreme ruins or something on her way out west, there's really no reason why her face should have changed that noticeably.

I'm hoping they allow the player to get haircuts in the game ala Witcher 3. Not for any particular reason except to see Taco's reaction when Aloy looks like this:

rosieshort.JPG

I think the game is only 6 months after the end of the first game. Unless she found some Krispy Kreme ruins or something on her way out west, there's really no reason why her face should have changed that noticeably.

Yeah. Her face looks a lot fatter. Like it would fit on someone who is notably overweight. Has nothing to do with age, she got fat. Considering how much physical activity she does along with not so great food supply it seems odd.

Yeah. Her face looks a lot fatter. Like it would fit on someone who is notably overweight. Has nothing to do with age, she got fat. Considering how much physical activity she does along with not so great food supply it seems odd.
... how?! I made that comparison photo above, I was LOOKING for a difference and I cannot see one, other than she looks slightly older as someone else mentioned.

Is this what the "Anita Sarkeesian lives rent free in my head" types are swarming on now?

... how?! I made that comparison photo above, I was LOOKING for a difference and I cannot see one, other than she looks slightly older as someone else mentioned.

Is this what the "Anita Sarkeesian lives rent free in my head" types are swarming on now?
UltraTaco & others do have very valid points. She doesn't look like she aged all that much in 6 months. It looks like she found a hidden stash of botox & accidentally injected her face with way too much. For all intents & purposes, she's a genetically modified "super" woman in her early 20s living 1000 years after an apocalypse. Unless she somehow has thyroid issues or something similar, I don't see what Guerilla is intending with Aloy's appearance.

I'm calling it now; Aloy develops type 2 onset diabetes in the game and through a series of Wilfred Brimley holograms scattered throughout the ruins of the game, learns how to cope with it and and that he may or may not be her father (cliffhanger for the 3rd game).

UltraTaco & others do have very valid points. She doesn't look like she aged all that much in 6 months. It looks like she found a hidden stash of botox & accidentally injected her face with way too much. For all intents & purposes, she's a genetically modified "super" woman in her early 20s living 1000 years after an apocalypse. Unless she somehow has thyroid issues or something similar, I don't see what Guerilla is intending with Aloy's appearance.

Other shots of her look significantly better than the one used in that comparison people love throwing around. However, there are very clear lighting, rendering, and just overall design differences between the games. Aloy does look much older than you’d expect from six months. I’d aim more towards, at minimum, 3-5 years. All that said, I think it’s a bit silly for people to focus so heavily on it and get so up in arms over the kind of meh changes to her appearance.

Other shots of her look significantly better than the one used in that comparison people love throwing around. However, there are very clear lighting, rendering, and just overall design differences between the games. Aloy does look much older than you’d expect from six months. I’d aim more towards, at minimum, 3-5 years. All that said, I think it’s a bit silly for people to focus so heavily on it and get so up in arms over the kind of meh changes to her appearance.
Changing appearances that you look at throughout an entire game has a HUGE impact on how people receive them. That's why photo modes, character customization, & user-made mods exist.

I would love to play this but I need to be able to use a mouse and keyboard.

I played the first game for a few hours on PS4 but the delicate aiming to tear off machine parts did not sit well with a controller. It didn't even support gyro aiming which is ridiculous. If they support that then maybe I'll use my controller. I'm playing on PC now and having a blast.

Changing appearances that you look at throughout an entire game has a HUGE impact on how people receive them. That's why photo modes, character customization, & user-made mods exist.

Sure, but it’s not THAT bad of a change. Not great, but just “meh”. Much like with the whole Peter Parker thing, people are massively overreacting to this and it’s just so much nerd rage.

Sure, but it’s not THAT bad of a change. Not great, but just “meh”. Much like with the whole Peter Parker thing, people are massively overreacting to this and it’s just so much nerd rage.
I'd say the reactions are in a spectrum from "so what?" to "WTF?!". Nothing wrong with what people think of "aged and/or chonky" Aloy or "frat boy" Peter Parker within that spectrum.

I just hope that her appearance will be based on a properly thought out timeline & not some woke agenda (reduction of feministic and/or beauty traits for the sake of the lowest common denominator).

i'm just gonna say it, it's fucking lunacy that the "anti woke" crowd is so fucking extreme that they're accusing a developer of slightly "fattening" a character model for "feminism"

from the outside looking in, it's bonkers
Yes yes. You say this with every topic in threads that don't support your progressive preferences. At the same time, you look rather insane quite often with your support of such. I acknowledge that there will be games we can agree on are great & others will just starting a shooting duel.

I'm hoping for the best despite the gripes thus far.

Yes yes. You say this with every topic in threads that don't support your progressive preferences. At the same time, you look rather insane quite often with your support of such. I acknowledge that there will be games we can agree on are great & others will just starting a shooting duel.

I'm hoping for the best despite the gripes thus far.
i guarantee you will not find any posts from me in support of "insane" progressive ideals in games. more likely you are referring to my rebuttals to comments like "oh no, they're making the game diverse, the woke agenda strikes again!"

ylnzmyqcwv171.jpg

Certainly looks a bit different to me.

Now since people brought it up, the first game was indeed one of the most SJW infested games I've ever played. Oh look, here is a small tribe that literally never leaves the valley. They're hyper inbred over centuries but somehow still have very distinct ethnic groups among them. Almost like 21st century politics played a role in world design rather than the actual setting and circumstances of the game's world.

Last edited:
View attachment 376895

Certainly looks a bit different to me.
is it not obvious to you that the picture on the right is a close distance, high FOV screenshot? just like with real life photography, it distorts faces.

does the screenshot above that i made myself just... not exist?

edit: here's another comparison i personally made. HZD on the left, HZDFW on the right

eRjmzEx.jpg

her character model has ALWAYS had a "fuller" face. this is just what the outrage machine came up with this week for people to get angry about. unfortunately these posts just illustrate why the outrage industry is so successful. people will fall for fucking ANYTHING if the title of the youtube video or article says something like "Horizon Zero Dawn FALLS to the new WOKE AGENDA of Guerrilla Games!"

Last edited:
is it not obvious to you that the picture on the right is a close distance, high FOV screenshot? just like with real life photography, it distorts faces.

does the screenshot above that i made myself just... not exist?

edit: here's another comparison i personally made. HZD on the left, HZDFW on the right

View attachment 376897

her character model has ALWAYS had a "fuller" face. this is just what the outrage machine came up with this week for people to get angry about. unfortunately these posts just illustrate why the outrage industry is so successful. people will fall for fucking ANYTHING if the title of the youtube video or article says something like "Horizon Zero Dawn FALLS to the new WOKE AGENDA of Guerrilla Games!"

She still looks like she gained significant weight. The comparison above also uses high zoom/FOV for both games so that point if fairly moot.

i feel like there must be some alternate reality that i'm not privy to for some reason. well, enjoy your life in constant fear of the woke agenda infiltrating your games i guess

i feel like there must be some alternate reality that i'm not privy to for some reason. well, enjoy your life in constant fear of the woke agenda infiltrating your games i guess

I've never seen someone get so offended by pointing out a character redesign before.

It isn't exactly new. They did the same thing in Rise of the Tomb Raider. They even made a big marketing push when Rise came out talking about how much better the new look was. It was fairly divisive to. If you drastically change the main character, people will notice and some might not like the redesign.

Last edited:
I've never seen someone get so offended by pointing out a character redesign before.

It isn't exactly new. They did the same thing in Rise of the Tomb Raider. They even made a big marketing push when Rise came out talking about how much better the new look was. It was fairly divisive to. If you drastically change the main character, people will notice and some might not like the redesign.
i've never seen someone get so offended over the imaginary motives behind an extremely subtle, if not outright entirely imagined, visual change.

see, i can play the "you're an offended snowflake" game too.

i've never seen someone get so offended over the imaginary motives behind an extremely subtle, if not outright entirely imagined, visual change.

Pointing something out isn't being offended.

Getting angry because other people can see a change that you can't, while trying to make it awkwardly political is. I'm still wondering how you made the jump from character deign change = politics. Talk about a bit of random outrage.

Even your own comparison shows the altered design. :ROFLMAO:

Looks like totally different characters between your comparison. Aloy's hillbilly cousin.

I disagree. They look like the same character (accounting for changes in lightening, detail, rendering) but the HFW model looks much older than what a six month difference should account for. Of course, Aloy never looked 18 in HZD either.

Back