Hoping to Reuse Old PSU

MooMooCow

Limp Gawd
I currently own a ToughPower 850w from 5 years ago. I am hoping to reuse this PSU on a brand new build with a ASUS P8Z77-V LE coupled with an i5 2500k or an IB variant. Is there anything I should look out for? I will be moderately overclocking and be using this in conjunction with a GTX 460. I'm pretty certain that this PSU will be able to handle the load, but I'm just wondering if there's anything that's drastically changed in the last 5 years in the connector department that could render my PSU incompatible with the new build. Thanks.

It's of ok quality. So it should still be fine for your setup. Though if you start seeing smoke or random shutdowns, corrupted RAM, dying/dead parts, then you should replace the PSU. Until then, go ahead and reuse it.

It's of ok quality. So it should still be fine for your setup. Though if you start seeing smoke or random shutdowns, corrupted RAM, dying/dead parts, then you should replace the PSU. Until then, go ahead and reuse it.

Thank you for your quick rely! Hoping this unit will last until 2015 when Skylake hits!

That PSU is fine, but if you have an extra 150 to spend I'd personally recommend getting a single 12V rail as it is better. But if you don't then the extra cash laying around that PSU should be more than fine.

That PSU is fine, but if you have an extra 150 to spend I'd personally recommend getting a single 12V rail as it is better. But if you don't then the extra cash laying around that PSU should be more than fine.

Single 12v technically is inferior to properly implemented multirail 12v power supplies. Not that an end user would really notice with good quality power supplies.

Single 12v technically is inferior to properly implemented multirail 12v power supplies. Not that an end user would really notice with good quality power supplies.

I've heard mixed reviews of multi and single 12v rails PSUs. Some reviews say that multiple takes strain off a single 12v rail and others say that a single 12v rail would be best because only 1 12v rail is doing the job. I guess i boils down to the quality of the PSU.

Back