Hoping someone from Texas can answer a question for me...

RyanLucier

Gawd
I am a Canadian who might be moving down to Texas since my better half might have a new position there.

Question: How is the internet, specifically in the Houston area? Furthermore, how is the gaming scene down there, any big LAN's etc? Thanks in advance.

Bonus question: do you find the summers unbearable?

I've lived in both Houston and San Antonio. In Houston, I seem to recall Comcast and AT&T being your only two major choices.

LAN's... you do get QuakeCon every year in Dallas, which is a 3 - 4 hour drive depending on where you end up.

As for the heat... I didn't mind it, but I hate the cold. Having also lived in Illinois, Colorado, and Upstate NY (a stones throw from Canada), San Antonio's summers were awesome. It was over 100 almost every day of summer, but it was dry, which made it just fine. Houston, you aren't so lucky. It was a few degrees cooler (usually low to mid 90's), but the humidity is a son of a bitch. It will take some getting used to, especially coming from Canada. Whether or not you mind Canadian winters will strongly affect how you feel about Houston's summer. For me, the trading a freezing winter for a gross, sweaty summer is just fine.

My family is from the area and I hated summers there. As a runner the best time to go was about 5:30 am or else you got the bends from the heat. It became more bearable the longer I was there but I wouldn't pick any place in Texas as my first choice to live. I'm more of a mountains and ocean kind of guy so I don't mind the cold winters in Colorado or the cool air of the California coast but even corpus Christi sucked the life out of me.

Comcast and AT&T in Houston and you WILL die in August.

The city shuts down if theres a icy patch on the street in the winter though its funny

Snow or sleet or frost in Houston.... Yeah its like the IQ monster pooped in everyone's brain and stirred it with a spoon. No one knows how to drive ppl don't know how to function. Work slows down it's idiotically funny !!!!

And I moved from Germany

This is a question better asked in Gen May. You should get access.

Summers range anywhere from 80 degrees to 110-120 with the heat index. Houston is very humid, like the tropics. Furthermore I hate Houston. Internet is so so, pretty much the more you're willing to spend the better it is.

Ive been in Houston my whole life. Internet service can varie based on your location. Sometimes Comcast is great and AT&T is awful, and vice versa. Some areas only give you one choice in provider.

Also the heat isnt that bad, you can get use to it quick, but be prepared to go through all 4 seasons in one day at times. It can be 85 at 10am and 56 at 6pm.

I am a Canadian who might be moving down to Texas since my better half might have a new position there.

Question: How is the internet, specifically in the Houston area? Furthermore, how is the gaming scene down there, any big LAN's etc? Thanks in advance.

Bonus question: do you find the summers unbearable?

I think the internet will be fine, unless you're used to fiber.

As stated before you'll pretty close to Dallas where Quakecon is held.

I don't live in Houston but I do live on the gulf coast (Pensacola, FL), you'll probably be miserable the first few summers. I'm not sure what the humidity is like where you live, but the gulf coast gets quite humid.

Not sure what the cost of electricity is where you're from, but it can get high during the summers with the A/C blasting.

Also the heat isnt that bad, you can get use to it quick, but be prepared to go through all 4 seasons in one day at times. It can be 85 at 10am and 56 at 6pm.
85 to 56F covers four seasons?! You have lived in the south your whole life. :p

85 to 56F covers four seasons?! You have lived in the south your whole life. :p

It can be humid, then rainy, then humid cold, then the next day its 90 and humid then we randomly have a freezing rain.

Houston weather is nuts!

I think everywhere short of maybe North Dakota claims their weather is zany and changes at the drop of a hat. I think that's just how a continental climate works.

Anyway, Houston tends to be kind of muggy. It's in East Texas, which still has a lot of humidity. It's kind of like an extension of "The South." You won't get the same temperatures that they see over in Midland or El Paso, but you're definitely going to sweat in the summer.

Internet in most cities is what you make of it. There are usually 2 options - the phone company, and the cable company. Unless you're in an old house or a distant suburb, you can get at least a 25/5 connection in most metro areas. It might cost you a pretty penny, but it's available. Not sure how it works in Canada, but I know there are a lot of "by the MB" charges over in Europe. We don't usually have that. You might have a download limit, but a la carte plans aren't common outside of mobile devices.

There at one time was a decent LAN scene, (though I have not been actively searching them anymore) I know the ones I frequented have died off for the most part, humidity sucks hard in this area, pretty much what you were told about the internet services is true.

You know what part of the Houston area you are going to be moving to?
Do you guys have a homestead located yet?

If you need any help finding things I am sure some of us can help.

Back