Hopefully a MB question. What glue?

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
Helping a friend with a cutter/plotter who has had her daughter yank the good 'ol serial bus cord a bunch. Now it is intermittent in data transfer but when in a good position all is well.
QUESTION: What is the best electronic glue to buy. I see it all over the place on components ect.. Not too aggressive, heat tolerant, not brittle with a bit of bend. Looks like melted wax. What is this, and what brand name should i get?
Or, given the situation of a loose serial bis connector, does it matter? How about some Gorilla glue (has rubber bending properties) Will that do the trick eh?
Please help. I'm not getting paid, just a friend job. And we all know how that is :D
Help.

KenHobi

The only "electrical glue" I could think of first is solder. Desolder the old one and solder the new connector. Don't use normal glues for fixing broken wires or connectors, unless you don't have any soldering gun(or iron). Than get there anything you think it's strong enough to hold the stuff together.

I hear ya, but... It has a lot of solder points, it is obviously broken because it moves, yet still works just fine. So, logically I don't want to "F" the situation, just to re-secure the "already working" input.
What I am asking for isn't "electrical repair glue", but the standard glue that manufacturers gloop all over non heat critical interface joining's. Looks like milky white wax. Kinda like glue gun, glue. Same shit?

Well than, as I said everything that is sticky and you think it's strong enough, you can put there, just don't turn on the device prior to glue is completely dry and you are assured the part id solidly attached to the rest. Just don't put there something like fast dry glues(1 second glues) because they are likely to corrode things, and you don't want that with electronics :D

hot glue gun...but be warned, you DO have at least one broken solder joint and simply holding it in a "working" physical location is no guarantee that it will not fritz in the middle of a cut.

Personally, I would hot glue the header down and then touch each solder pad with an iron to reflow the joints.

Just reflow all the solder joints? Then rig up something for strain relief on the cord so it's not yanking the serial port.

Hot glue gun is what you are seeing as the "melted wax".:D

I'd remove the connecter, check the solder.......you could try a reflux with a good heat gun.....let it cool, then test and refit...........hot glue at the conclusion.

Let us know how it goes, all these responses have useful perspectives IMO

if all else fails, see if the MoBo has an internal serial header. then buy a cheap expansion slot serial port adapter. I think they make them that work with USB headers too (been a while since I've messed with serial ports)

Anyway, you want to install a strong hook to the PC case, and loop the serial cable around it. that should keep the cable from being able to do damage to the port again.

I also have a box full of USB 2.0 extensions.......the kind where you connect the cable to the MB internal USB header and then attach the other end to the rear expansion slot of the case.....

let me know, I'll gladly send you one or two......you just pay the postage.:D

Back