Hooray! A new World War 2 shooter! Battalion 1944

Eshelmen

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-world-war-2-shooter-for-xbox-one-ps4-pc-reache/1100-6434517/

"Battalion 1944, the newly announced World War 2 shooter for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC, has now successfully raised its £100,000 goal on Kickstarter. The campaign was a quick success, needing just two days to hit the target."

Good news?- Classic styled WW2 FPS, dedicated servers and will run on Unreal Engine 4

The devs at Bulkhead(most are former AAA devs) are fans of Medal of Honor and the first CoD, so this project is inspired by those classics.

Video here

3000009-5.jpg

Last edited:
Saw the video, obviously it's a ridiculously early build, but it just looks like a COD reboot. There's arcade elements like your cross hair letting you know when you hit someone etc. Meh. I'd like something a bit more realism based since there aren't many games like that for the era

Lol okay then don't buy. But at least it's a start of the refresh for WW2 shooters.

On their donate page, it mentions about early access, acquiring special weapons and such for donating towards the project- which makes me wonder/worry if this is another project that will be stuck in EA for a while.

MoH and CoD? Yeah they were decent. But let's not forget Brothers in Arms.

no single player, no buy

Expensive to produce. The AI needed either has to be developed or purchased via plugin ($250k license, IIRC).

Motion BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUR

Another here for lamenting no SP. The set pieces on those old WWII games were always awesome. Storming the beach in MoH is an all item favorite, and though I died a LOT, will never forget it.

I was hoping for more of a hardcore feel to it. We need a realistic WWII squad shooter (that's not the cheesefest that is RO2/RS).

I hope it will be DX12.
In the montage, one guy had ipconfig up haha.

Looks average at best. But that still seems better than the unlock heavy modern shooter.

Festung Europa and In Country Vietnam looked much better, but I have little faith those will get done. Haven't heard an update from them in ages.

Just remake battlefield 1942 with the expansions pre installed. It's literally that simple.

Saw the video, obviously it's a ridiculously early build, but it just looks like a COD reboot. There's arcade elements like your cross hair letting you know when you hit someone etc. Meh. I'd like something a bit more realism based since there aren't many games like that for the era

Well that is pretty much what they are going for, something more like MOH and COD2...

In my early teen years Moh:AA was the meat and potatoes of all my gaming. Countless hours of fun.

Well that is pretty much what they are going for, something more like MOH and COD2...

In my early teen years Moh:AA was the meat and potatoes of all my gaming. Countless hours of fun.

I played a shit load of MoH online. Allied Assault, spearhead, I miss those days. I was young and just getting into heavy online gaming. I had so much fun playing those back in the day.

But nevertheless, my tastes in games have matured. For shooters I strongly prefer games focused towards realism. Not insane unplayable no fun realism, but realistic enough. I would love to see a WW2 game that was somewhere between Insurgency, Squad, and Arma III.

ahahahaha! yeah, no thanks.

Huh? Where's the bad part?
To me that reads dedicated servers and as well,they'll have laid out competitive modes to try additionally. I thought you all want dedicated servers. So what gives?

I would love to see a WW2 game that was somewhere between Insurgency, Squad, and Arma III.

Did you ever play RO1? That was the perfect mix. RO2/Rising Storm leans more towards arcade with some unlocks, but isn't too bad these days. A sequel, Rising Storm 2 Vietnam, is in development. No idea if this will further go the way of Battlefield, go back to the roots or stay right where it is.

when do we get another Hidden and Dangerous entry? i'll pass on this..

Only title that is a tactical shooter with a single player in development is Ground Branch. Probably the closest you will get to GR and H&D, but it is a ways off still.

Huh? Where's the bad part?
To me that reads dedicated servers and as well,they'll have laid out competitive modes to try additionally. I thought you all want dedicated servers. So what gives?

I'm after a new Battlefield 1942 :)

MoH and CoD? Yeah they were decent. But let's not forget Brothers in Arms.

Expensive to produce. The AI needed either has to be developed or purchased via plugin ($250k license, IIRC).

They are using UE4 which I thought had blueprints that make AI programming easier?

I bought it, as well as a group of my friends. I won't have time to play until Sunday evening, but I will keep you guys updated. $13 is worth a try for a DoD looking game.

Have about 6 hours into it so far, I am enjoying the old school shooter feel of it, weapons seem balanced but the snipers scopes need some sway added to them.

The bad tho is that the network code sucks some servers feel like they have less then 30 tic.

I will keep playing and hoping good things come from this game and community.

So, I got about an hour in and my opinion is that it isn't the worst game I have ever played. It needs some work of course, but it was still fun.

Meh. No SP, no buy.

Reactions: Zuul
like this
Back