Hooking up Wii to PC sound card?

mr. nails

Limp Gawd
I've got a 24 inch PC monitor and a 5.1 creative sound card with the 5.1 speakers hooked up to it. Is there a shortcut in getting sound to my PC while NOT unhooking anything and getting sound to a Nintendo Wii at the same time?

I currently have my ps2 hooked up to my pc via optics and it works flawlessly, but the Wii does not have any optic outputs. I've read something about hooking the Wii to my mic port on my soundcard. Is that something I need to look into?

Much help is appreciated. I don't have a Wii yet, but am looking into getting one. ONLY running it through my PC is an option. I don't plan on buying another TV/monitor for this "new" setup.

Use something like this?

gc-csm2ra.jpg

Red/ white cable goes to your line in?

Last edited:
yeah, that's what i've found as well.

just for clarification purposes. by using said cable will i get 5.1 sound from my wii thru my pc?

thx for the response!

if you want 5.1, you'll need to connect to a receiver. your sound card won't do the decoding.

But red/ white cable is phono, meaning each carry 1 channel of sound. To get 5.1, you need 6 channels. An optical or coaxial cable can do that but not good old red/white cable.

You will get left/ right from these. Period.

Wii does dolby pro logic 2 sound.
it simulates surround from the 2 stereo channels. (rca cables/white and red)

your sound card doesnt need to do anything. you are fine.

Back