Hooking up my old Nintendo 64 to a Dell 2407WFP

Decided to take a trip down Nostalgia Lane this week and dust off my Nintendo 64 and player Zelda. I have a Dell 2407WFP monitor, and I'm not sure how to get the Nintendo hooked up. I know it has component video ports behind it, as well as a single composite video port and an S-video port. The Nintendo has the red/white/yellow cables on the back (forgive me, but I'm not clear on the whole language surrounding TVs/Consoles/VCRs/ and the like, so I'm going to refer to cables by color). The best I've managed to do is match the yellow portion of set of cables from the N64 to the yellow composite video port on the back of the monitor. Switching to composite video on the monitor gets me a picture, but the nintendo doesn't seem to like the widescreen very much, and the picture is kind of pushed off to the left and hanging off the screen a bit, while the right side is a jumbled mess. If I set the monitor to PIP or PBP the screen for the composite video portion is clear since it's not longer running in widescreen. So:

1) Is there a way to get the composite video to recognize the N64 and display it correctly in widescreen? If not, is it even possible to play the nintendo off this monitor without it being in PIP/PBP?

2) What are the component video ports (colored red, blue and teal), and how are they different from the standard red/white/yellow cables I'm used to?

3) Is there a way to hook my computer's external speakers to the N64?

http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/gc/vgabox.htm

theres a vga converter

but I thought that dell monitor had a composite input so youwouldnt need that.

since n64 is not widescreen, I'd say thats a big negatory though. no widescreen. It'd stretch the game to fit the screen but then link would look like a chubby elf. :)

uh...yes. what kind of cable do the speakers use? standard 3.5mm? get a female-to-female RCA to 3.5mm cable. they can be picked up at any radioshack.

edit: Sorry i didnt see the part about you not being familliar with terminology.

RCA equals the Red-white-yellow cables. yellow is video. red and white are audio.

3.5mm is the standard headphone jack. It is also likely what your speakers hook up to.

Component cables are a digital signal, composite is analog. beyond that I can't tell you much. you could always check a wiki or google it though. Sufficed to say, component is better. always. However for n64 im not sure it'll matter.

Back