Hooking up 980Ti to Sont XBR49X830C--incorrect resolution w/ bad upscaling?

I'm not sure if this is a driver issue or something else. I have this TV, newest software for it installed, newest WHQL nVidia drivers, an HDMI 2.0 cable. The TV gets recognized well enough, goes to 3840 x 2160, but what happens is that everything looks slightly fuzzy (Steam, games) and not in a clean upscaled way like you'd expect, even if it was a lower resolution. But the TV DOES say 3840 x 2160. The odd thing is that when I have it hooked up, the control panel recommends 1920 x 1080 in the Display properties (but that is not selected, I have the right resolution selected and my TV even says so). I tried to turn on "Enhanced HDMI mode" in the TV settings (I think for color depth or whatever), but then nothing gets displayed when I hook it up to my PC (only my XBox One likes this setting, and I have that on for its specific HDMI port).

I've gotten it to work before, and I think one time it resolved itself after being in a menu and loading, but I never really do anything different, at least I don't think so.

Many Sony TVs only support 4K60 with a YCbCr 4:2:0 input rather than a full resolution YCC 4:4:4 or RGB signal.
From doing a quick search it seems that the "enhanced hdmi" option was added to many models via a firmware update and is what enables this.
You may need to try a different HDMI port, as some HDTVs only have full bandwidth 2.0 support on one or two of their inputs.

Yeah, that is true. I have tried all ports and multiple cables. It is internally (externally?) displaying at 4K because my TV says that when you check the resolution (you know how the resolution sometimes pops up when you turn on the TV, change inputs, whatever)...but it is not sharp.

Yeah, that is true. I have tried all ports and multiple cables. It is internally (externally?) displaying at 4K because my TV says that when you check the resolution (you know how the resolution sometimes pops up when you turn on the TV, change inputs, whatever)...but it is not sharp.
Check what format the NVIDIA Control Panel is sending the display. I bet it's YCC 4:2:0

What firmware are you running? according to this review on Amazon, It does support 4K@60 4:4:4

Amazon.com: B. White's review of Sony XBR43X830C 43-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart ...

You may have already read about this; however, the answer to this question is yes, it does support 4:4:4 sub sampling, according to the following review:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-brand/sony/x830c

If you read further down it says:
With the new firmware update PKG2.463.0010NAB, This TV now supports 4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4. To enable this, go to Settings - External Inputs - HDMI Signal Format - Enhanced (new).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back