Hooking laptop to tv via HDMI, how to display only on tv?

Stiler

[H]F Junkie
So I recently got an HDMI cable to hook up a laptop to a tv.

When I first connected it to the TV a pop up came up asking how I wanted to display it,

Cloned desktop to tv, display only on tv, etc.

I selected Cloned at the time.

Then I wanted to watch a blu ray through the lapttop to tv, however it seems that with blu rays it is not allowed and won't play the blu ray if it detects this.

I googled and everyone says you have to set it to display only on your tv (and not on both the laptop and tv).

However I can not for hte life of me figure out how to get back to this pop up.

I have unplugge dthe HDMI cable, plugged it into another HDMI port on the tv, etc and it never pops up asking me how I want to display this.

I have checked the monitor/display setting snad se enothing about this anywhere in there.

The laptop is running on Vista btw.

How can I get back to this and select it to display only ont he tv?

It is likely the the pop-up came from Windows Mobility Center. Quick way to get into it is Windows key + X. That should open the Mobility Center then you can connect to an external display. There are other ways to configure your displays using the right-click context on the empty desktop but it has been a while since I've used Vista. It is a bit different in Windows 7. See if the Mobility Center will let you configure as needed.

What make/model is your laptop? Some laptops use the Fn key + F3 or F5 to switch/enable display options. Depending on your laptop graphics (Intel or other) display options can be configured from there as well. Extending the desktop might be preferable to cloning it; you can set TV as primary monitor and set resolutions as needed.

Not sure if this post might get more hits in the Mobile Computing section? Mods?

Last edited:
Go into the display driver and tell it which display to use.
If you have an AMD card, go to Desktop Management / Creating and arranging desktops
Right click each display to get the options for each.
Clone or extend to the TV and then disable the monitor,
This will leave it on the TV only.

If you press Windows Key + P you can cycle through the different display modes.

Not sure this is a valid shortcut for Vista. Think it was added to Windows 7, thankfully!

If you press Windows Key + P you can cycle through the different display modes.

Yeah this is great, I use it a lot especially if the screen I power up isnt the main screen.
You can use Win/P + l/r arrows + return to try multiple configs without seeing it.

Its a bit of a pita when you have 3 display outputs though as it can only set 2 screens up.
ie I have a direct video feed to the projector (with stereo USB audio to BD Players DAC), a video+audio feed into my 7.1 DAC/BD player and a video+audio feed to my monitor.
Occasionally the 2 screens it wants to use arent the one I want to.

Back