Honest opinion on Mice for FPS games, MX 3200 set, MX Rev, Sidewinder, wired, wireles

nintari

[H]ard|Gawd
Currently I have a logitech MX Laser mouse (I think it is the MX 1000) and while I am not a hardcore gamer nor incredibly skilled I was looking in to other mice. While it isnt that I'm not happy with mine, it's that I have my son using a wired Microsoft optical mouse with two buttons. I thought about getting a new mouse to replace mine and give him my current one because the area he has to use the mouse is limited and because of the cord he cant move it to the top of the desk, and I am afraid the mouse cord is eventually going to get caught in the keyboard tray sliders.

I seen today that sellout.woot.com had the Velocity micro corded mouse (some creative labs gamer mouse rebadged with velocitys logo) andthought well that would be good I suppose for the price, but then started to think I have become too accustom to a wireless mouse so should I just stick with one.

and now am running across all sorts of mice and keyboards and etc etc. For example there are a lot of the Logitech MX revolution mice on ebay, but then for the same price I can pickup a MX 3200 keyboard and mouse combo and get rid of my corded keyboard.

I know there are mice tailored specifically for FPS games but dont know if this is marketing hype, or if someone like me would even benefit form the added features.

my big things are I like some sort of tactile feel to the buttons and the scroll wheel. I dont want a scroll wheel that doesnt click slightly each time I scroll (I had a MS mouse that had no feelign to it and I would swish through all my weapons when trying to switch and end up having to go back or etc, eventually getting killed cause I was too concerned with the weapon lol)

While I dont have incredibly large hands I dont want a small little mouse

I DO NOT WANT any mouse that times out after a few seconds and shuts off to save battery. this was my complaint with one set I had,

I dont want to deal with the logitech blue tooth that came with the 5000, while it wasnt bad at close ranges the further I got the more wonky the controls got.

So, any advice? lol

Here's a review with more about mice than you ever wanted to know, from the most hardcore gamers in existence:

http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1265679

I don't know if this will be useful to you if you're not hardcore as you put it, but I thought I'd link to the only worthy mouse review on the internet. Personally, I have a stock of several mx300's that I'll be using until the sky falls down.

Well, a couple people I know make fun of my Cyber Snipa Stinger for looking the way it does but I really like it. I was using a Diamondback (non-3G) before this and was planning on getting another Razor but decided to give this Stinger a try. Check it out.

reading the link above now... wow... a lot of information lol

seems like the DPI thing is kinda like megapixels in a camera...do you really need 12MP? lol

if youre looking to go wired consider an mx518...its fairly affordable, 2000dpi, "clicks" on the scroll, and has 7 total buttons - 2 of which are the DPI adjustment for on the fly ( I believe they can be re mapped...) but it effectively gives you 5 buttons for gaming. I'm very happy with mine, but wont pretend to have tried tons out or anything. Just something to look into...its gaming, but its still simplicity. i like it :)

I'm going to have to concur with the above poster and recommend an MX518 or G5 (the G5 is the same body shape, but uses a 2000dpi laser sensor instead of the 518's 1800dpi optical unit). They're very comfortable, well-built, and track extremely well.

The thing about wireless mice when it comes to gaming is that the wireless interface itself is pretty much rock-solid, but there are few wireless mice that are actually suitable for gaming. Pretty much the only good wireless gaming mouse is the Logitech G7, but if you don't mind the cord you'd be better off with the G5 that I mentioned above, since it has a second side button (the G7 only has a back button on the side, whereas the newer model of the G5 has back and forward buttons). Aside from button differences, the body styles are the same.

The Logitech MX518 is the best there is in my opinion. The MX518 is optical, not laser. You would think that Laser is better but that is just not the case. The Laser mice have higher DPI but tests show that optical tracks more reliably when you move the mouse quickly. The optical is just more accurate.

The optical is better in lower DPI situations where the mouse travels further and faster--i.e., first person shooters.

The design on the G5 is a bit improved over the MX518. The feet are a little better and the cable is a little easier to deal with, but I would never choose the G5 over the MX518 for that reason. The G5 is laser and for that reason alone I won't use it.

The build quality and ergonomics on the Razer mice are not as good as Logitech, in my opinion. I would only consider their new models that use infrared sensors (not laser): The Boomslang 2007, Death Adder, or Salmosa.

But the Logitech 518 is still the smartest, most ergonomic, and best performing mouse there is. I might actually buy another and put it away as a backup. Once you get used to using the DPI adjustment controls you will wonder how you ever lived without it. The placement of the DPI controls is pretty much perfect.

I don't really understand the DPI options. I've had a G5 for a while now and have never touched them.

Wow, the A4tech mouse did really well in that review.

Looks like it can be had for about $30. Not bad at all.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=A4tech+X7&cid=15779388222605272709

I have the OCZ-branded version of that mouse actually (got it for around $20), and it's quite awesome. It tracks really well, it's pretty comfortable, and most importantly, it was cheap :). However, the mouse tested in that review is actually an optical version using the same body design, not the laser version that you linked.

Mx518 is the best value for the money in my opinion, i've had one for years (which i use in the office now). I jumped on the Razer bandwagon, i have a Lachesis now, it's pretty good, but a bit expensive.

if youre looking to go wired consider an mx518...its fairly affordable, 2000dpi, "clicks" on the scroll, and has 7 total buttons - 2 of which are the DPI adjustment for on the fly ( I believe they can be re mapped...) but it effectively gives you 5 buttons for gaming. I'm very happy with mine, but wont pretend to have tried tons out or anything. Just something to look into...its gaming, but its still simplicity. i like it :)

I have one of these, I love it more than any other mouse I have ever touched, including G5s and other more expensive mice. I think I'm going to get two more so I can use these mice until the end of time. Highly reccomended.

I don't really understand the DPI options. I've had a G5 for a while now and have never touched them.

The 518 has basically the same DPI functionality as the G5. Basically, the higher the DPI setting, the less you have to move your mouse for the cursor to travel the same distance. The 518 and even more so the laser based mice have DPI settings that are so high that they are basically unusuable with guns in first person shooters because you move your hand a tiny bit and you can turn your character around completely. Too sensitive.

But say in BF2 you jump in a tank. Now all of the sudden that super high setting is not such a bad thing, because now the game itself has slowed you down, and you can compensate by boosting your DPI. Now you can swing your turret around with ease whereas before that same setting was useless. I use it the way for sniper rifles where sometimes you want to be able to cover more ground with less movement.

And you get up to five presets you can switch between and you can define the DPI fairly precisely for each preset. So you can use it to fine tune or have radically different settings and anything inbetween. And it works very well.

Or say you leave the game and now you are on your desktop. Well the high DPI settings are sometimes nice when you have a lot of screen real estate to work with. You can get the cursor accross your screen a lot faster. But the button layout makes it so easy to switch between the settings that it just becomes part of the way you play. On the Razer, the button placement is awkward and so it was pretty much useless on the Copperhead for example.

I stand corrected on the DPI rating of the mx518...my memory has failed me there :( lol

again, the DPI is pretty handy from a gaming standpoint... If im playing run and gun COD4, i bump up the DPI setting for quicker turn around time etc... If i break out the sniper rifle - i tend to take a notch or 2 off for some added precision.

seriously though... as long as you can deal with the cord....

mx 518!

that sounds logical on paper...but FPSes require consistency. That's why people use CPL Mousefix to get rid of acceleration. If you keep changing the DPI, you are not getting the same sensitivity everytime. Even in sniping, snapping your aim requires the same DPI. Maybe I'm just accustomed to CS.

that review is way out-dated...there are way better mice out there now....like the G7

My favorite mouse is the Logitech g5.. I have the newer version the v2. I love it.. has a weight tray underneath it, has 2 buttons on the side (1 more than the original g5). It's super smooth I love it.

that sounds logical on paper...but FPSes require consistency. That's why people use CPL Mousefix to get rid of acceleration. If you keep changing the DPI, you are not getting the same sensitivity everytime. Even in sniping, snapping your aim requires the same DPI. Maybe I'm just accustomed to CS.

Well the DPI doesn't change unless you change it.

Back