Homemade 4.1s?

Vermicious Knid

Limp Gawd
Is it possible to connect two sets of 2.1 speaker sets to my Audigy2 to get 4.1(4.2 with second sub?) with the positional audio and all that goodness?

My Megaworks 650s just died on me(think its the sub, replaced the fuse to no avail) just outside the warrantee of course. The neighbors will sleep well at night untill i can find/afford a suitable high end replacement... :(

IMG_2807.jpg

5.2 baby :cool:

Anyways yes it is possible, and recommended you do it with two of the same sets (continuity with quality and sound).

Klipsch used to sell the Promedia 4.2's, which was effectively just two of their 2.1 sets.

Most multimedia 2.1 sets you buy have the LFE channel down a single stereo 1/8" connector. Simply put, most 2.1 sets have a single cord. You hook one set up to the front channel input, the second to the rear channel input. My second subwoofer is different, as you plug in all your cords to that and the sub receives and picks up any low frequency sounds and then sends it to the main set.

Yeah most 2.1 speaker systems are just 2 channel, but they split up the sound and send the lows to a subwoofer. They are more like 1.5-way 2 channel speakers. It should work just fine if you plug one set in to the front out and the other set into the rear out.

Is that not the whole idea behind the Klipsch 4.2 thing?
Two sets of promedia 2.1's= 4.2
In reality there is no discrete subwoofer so a better name for them would be four point none

Mister X said:
Is that not the whole idea behind the Klipsch 4.2 thing?
Two sets of promedia 2.1's= 4.2
In reality there is no discrete subwoofer so a better name for them would be four point none

Yes, but manufacturers certainly wouldn't like that to be pointed out to them, just in the same way you'll never see a Bose system refer to the 'Acoustimass Module' as a subwoofer, because it's not either. However, at least Bose carefully words their informational packets to avoid that faux pas.

If you want a serious sub, get yourself an SVS PB2+, that'll give you hearing damage in a hurry =]

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb2_plus.htm

1300$ to your door, not too bad =] I'm definitely happy with mine, watching ROTK on that kicked some ass!

BO(V)BZ

Back