Homeland Security Breach Exposes Data On 240,000 Employees

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
In a statement, the DHS announced that a data breach exposed personally identifiable information on more than 240,00 current and former employees in 2014. The breach also contained Investigative Data for individuals associated with investigations from 2002-2014, which includes subjects, witnesses and complainants who were both DHS employees and non-DHS employees.

The DHS also notes that

All individuals potentially affected by this privacy incident are being offered 18 months of free credit monitoring and identity protection services. Notification letters were sent to all current and former employees who were potentially affected by the DHS Employee Data on December 18, 2017. Due to technological limitations, DHS is unable to provide direct notice to the individuals affected by the Investigative Data.

It makes you wonder how much this blunder ends up costing the taxpayer. between the initial gathering, compiling, and storing of the data, the investigation of the theft of the data, then 3 years of "extensive forensic analysis of the compromised data." I must add that I love the term "unauthorized exfiltration" when it comes to the data breach.

The investigation was complex given its close connection to an ongoing criminal investigation. From May through November 2017, DHS conducted a thorough privacy investigation, extensive forensic analysis of the compromised data, an in-depth assessment of the risk to affected individuals, and comprehensive technical evaluations of the data elements exposed. These steps required close collaboration with law enforcement investigating bodies to ensure the investigation was not compromised.

Amurica's enemies sure are get'n proficient at stealing our info, don't you think?

"An intelligence agency that fears intelligence? Historically, not awesome." - Tony Stark

As with North Korea for the past 20 years (not counting 2017) maybe we should just send them a pallet of cheese?

I still want to get a copy of my data from these government breaches to compare and see how far off they are from each other, let alone the truth.

Per the FAQ it's about eight months of "forensic" review after they found a 2014 database in the private hands of a former employee. Still BS. Also shows how easy it is to copy and potentially leak data.

that credit card and identity theft protection will come in handy for exposed witnesses /s

wTF

This will be the third time my data was released, and third time I'm offered "identity protection". New in this release are the details of the background investigation completed as part of the security clearance issue. That's extraordinarily bad since those investigations involve virtually every aspect of your life. They actually interviewed my childhood friends, much less family and previous employers.

Back