home wireless networking prob

mikefeil

n00b
I have recently setup a home wireless network. My two little brothers both have a netcomm 54mbps, 802.11g PCI card which connect to my netcomm 54mbps AP.

Both the computers can connect fine to my web server through file sharing but when I try to use the internet (through ICS) on my little brothers computers it just idles on "website found,waiting for reply" the only page i can access on there computer is google and they can use msn, but everything else idles.

Anyway can anyone help me with this problem?

So they can use google and msn but nothing else? I would check permissions on the machine, try turning off wep just for grins and see if it works w/out... and making sure the default gateway for their machine is your machine...

--edit

OH... and the DNS server too... if they have msn and google cached in their machine... it will work, but other addresses that aren't cached won't work

-try clearing the DNS cache (in 2k, ipconfig /flushdns in dos mode) and if MSN and google quit working then your DNS settings are wrong on your bros' machine

they have xp but I did that command in dos and still the same problem occurs..only google?

I have zone alarm on the webserver if that helps at all...but all there ip's are in the trusted zone...

also it takes ages for my machine and there machine to start up?

might meen something ?

thanx for the help so far

First problem is ICS, just use zone alarm :) . ICS is not that great of a firewall, should be improved in sp2.

Yes disable wep, if that doesnt work enable it, then disable zonealarm. While doing this have a constant ping to 216.239.37.104 (google)

As far as taking a while to load check what services are loading at startup. If winxp do Start>Run>msconfig then look in Startup to see if you can remove any programs from there. Also I have seen win nt/2k/xp machines take a while to boot if they are unable to obtain an IP address.

Cheers.

Originally posted by RasterMuffin
First problem is ICS, just use zone alarm :) . ICS is not that great of a firewall, should be improved in sp2.

Yes disable wep, if that doesnt work enable it, then disable zonealarm. While doing this have a constant ping to 216.239.37.104 (google)

First to mikefeil, welcome to the [H]ard|Forum! :cool:

@ RasterMuffin: ICS is not a firewall, but rather stands for Internet Connection Sharing. Nothing you said made any since and none of it should be followed, save for the start up information. But I will say welcome to you to as you are a new guy.

No not disable WEP or ZoneAlarm, only an idiot would do such a thing. I suggest you download a program called Proxy+. It is a very simple and easy proxy server that you can set up to be a Windows NT background service. The free version works for up to three computers, including the one that it is installed on. So disable ICS and set your IP address to something static. As an example lets say the router uses 192.168.0.1 for the router it's self and 192.168.0.100-199 for the DHCP leases. I would set your 'server' to a manual IP address of something like 192.168.0.50, this is what I have done with mine.

Now all you need to do is install Proxy+ and set it up, which is quite easy. The software will work just fine in its default settings, but if you want to change something just type in 192.168.0.50:4400 into your web browser, of course this IP address goes with this example so your IP address may be different. The important part is the :4400. Now on your clients, these being your little bro's computer, keep DHCP enabled and let it do everything automatically. Open up your browsers settings and find the LAN settings. For IE this would be under Tools | Internet Options | Connections | LAN Settings. Type in the IP address of the server, again 192.168.0.50 for this example and use a port of 4480. Also unclick the "Automatically Detect Settings" and save your proxy info and exit out.

Start the Proxy+ software, or reboot if you selected NT service, and dial up to the Internet. Your bro should now be online. You should also open up the IP range of the DHCP lease of the router in ZoneAlarm and also the new manual IP address of your 'server'.

Problem solved! :D

Back