Home Theaters Are Overrated Home Projects

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don’t care what these guys say, there is nothing like having a home theater for gaming and watching movies. For some reason the article seems to think these rooms have to tacky and expensive. Personally, I think they can be done tastefully and on a budget too. What do you think, is a home theater room a plus or a minus?

With so many nice home-theater packages containing surround-sound speakers, amplifiers, bass modules, media centers and other controls and costing $3,500 or less, you can turn your flat screen in any family room into a home theater, instead of shelling out $20,000 or more for the whole shebang, including cinema seating, tacky red carpeting, projector, Blu-ray player and big screen.

The whole article is crap. They are just tying to justify being cheap when it comes to designing your house. If I didn't have half the stuff on that list, I wouldn't be happy in my house. Its all about personal enjoyment, not what some article tells you is and isn't good to have.

Any true [H] geek will want a badass home theater room and a home automation system.

Home theater on a budget is a huge plus.

Once I order a $60 part (color wheel) for the projector, with built in DVD player, I bought for $100 my setup will be complete.

Bought a used SUB for $30 that still sells used for $150. The rest of the audio equpment I have had for quite a few years.. some bought used, some on clearance.

The 2 seats I have right now came out of a Saturn - $30 for the pair at a wrecking yard.. and will eventually go in my project car.

Total cost for the complete setup will have ended up being around $600.

Not bad at all for a complete home theater setup.

Oh, hell no! "Tacky" red carpeting?! I don't think so. I think a home theater room is a huge plus. Some of us love movies, and want the best we can get (afford). Sure, for some it is a family room with a simple stereo system (my in-laws), but for us that REALLY love it, we really love the BIG stuff. Blu-ray, big screen, surround sound, dedicated LFE subwoofer... It's just awesome! I find none of it "Tacky". I think some of them are damn nice, and even the themed ones look pretty awesome (although, I wouldn't go that far on one!).

Home theater = $$$
Watching a movie without some baby crying, some asshole on their cell phone, the ability to pause, cheep snacks = Priceless

I agree.....anyone who says that a home theater isn't worth it has never gamed or watched a movie on a 7 foot wide screen before.

The article wasn't that bad and in some cases is fairly practical in terms of what it is trying to convey, which is doing more with less. However, what they neglect in there short little synopsis is that home theaters can go from the the very elaborate productions to the very very simple DIY'ers dream on a budget, but unfortunately instead of showing off what those look like, they disparage the entire concept altogether, which is a shame.

So they are trying to compare an HTIB to a full home theater room including seating and projector?

Thats not even close, HTIB is for people who dont want an entire room, it certainly wont cut it for a real theater room.

HTIB = surround sound, might have a DVD/bluray player.
Home theater = An entire room dedicated to viewing, including surround sound generally from a much better sound system than an HTIB, generally separate (and better quality) players for different content, etc.

I dont know about you, but sitting in a proper home theater as they are trying to identify it (seating, carpeting, etc) is a million times better than sitting on a couch like normal to watch the movie.

To me at least a home theater project isn't really a dedicated threater room with only that purpose. It can be of course.

A home threater to is just an enviroment where that is the primary focus but not the only focus.

My "theater" room is our 2nd living room if you will. Couch, coffee table and big a$$ TV with surround sound.

Good curtains to shutout light if needed, mutiple systems hooked up to the display and sound. 1 remote to rule them all.

Other places may have a TV (not as big), DVD player but they won't have the surround, light out curtains etc

I dont know about you, but sitting in a proper home theater as they are trying to identify it (seating, carpeting, etc) is a million times better than sitting on a couch like normal to watch the movie.

To me the couch is much more preferable... Obviously all other conditions equal.

The article is interesting and annoying at same time. I have a whirlpool tub and I admit I hardly use the thing, but at same time its nice to know its there if I want to. I would probably use it more if I had a TV in there. As for the media room it doesn't offer an return on investment true but that shouldn't be the point of it. It's your house you should be doing with it what you want and makes you happy. Personally I have a place picked out in my unfinished basement for one along with a computer room bar area and perhaps indoor hottub or small pool, while that may not appeal to all buys to bad then use space as you see fit then or remodel. There is no such thing as a perfect house unless you make it as such for you.

Also. the counter tops part was funny, notice they said marble. Well duh its one the most porous materials there is and sucks for counters that's why people go with Granite less trouble.

I feel like the cinema seats and other non-tech related items are tacky. Just put in a nice couch/couches and you can call the room whatever you want. Also, the idea of sectioning off a part of the house for just one activity just doesn't work with who I am.

I think most people here have to remember that people out there different and that most people do not think as thoroughly when purchasing these items and saw it as more of a status symbol and this is where the article comes in and states that people realize that they just are wastes to them.

To me the couch is much more preferable... Obviously all other conditions equal.

Same here… I have 3 full sized couches in my home theater room and I much prefer them to individual seating.

As for the article, I think it was written from an “investors” perspective more than consumers. A dedicated home theater room little or no value to a house when it comes to resale.

I don't think any of you(including the person who posted this article) are reading it in the proper context.

AT....

ALL...

Same here… I have 3 full sized couches in my home theater room and I much prefer them to individual seating.

As for the article, I think it was written from an “investors” perspective more than consumers. A dedicated home theater room little or no value to a house when it comes to resale.

That's probably because when the owner moves, they sure as hell aren't going to leave their $10,000+ home theater hifi's behind. lol

The new owner would just have a blank wall, some seats (maybe) and mounting brackets for the speakers. No projector, speakers, players, or anything. I don't see new home owners having that much money left to splurge on hifi's after finally closing a deal on the house.

Considering the point of that article is to affect potential resale value of your home, yeah no fucking duh all these custom additions won't recoup as much as you think. That's the whole point about doing a CUSTOM job, it applies just about everywhere in fact from houses to cars.

And really... taking advice from Bob Vila? Mr Home improvement is saying a small deck off your bedroom will cost AT LEAST 10 grand? Again.. WTF, here's Mr DIY, giving prices for a contractor to do it... *sigh*

The article does say "Elaborate home theaters". Redecorating with some theme certainly can be very tacky. It does not condemn home theaters in general and points out that fairly nices ones are available at a reasonable cost.

I don't think any of you(including the person who posted this article) are reading it in the proper context.

AT....

ALL...

this.... i pretty much agree with the article...

with that said i have a 7 foot screen hanging in my living room... had to take down my cieling fan so that it wouldn't interfere with the throw on the 720p projector.... i put a plastic cap over it, because when i sell my house, a ceiling fan is going back in there...

the key is royally screwing up the resale of your house.... there are people who do this stuff and think it will help them later when they go to sell it... the article is just trying to say it doesn't work

I'm in the process of turning my family room into a home theater. I'm now at a the point where it is fully functional for watching movies and playing games, just missing the decorations.

AND IT'S AWESOME!

140" screen
Optoma HD20 projector
Klipsch 7.1 sound

All running from my computer only

I wouldn't call our setup a "home theater" in the same conversation as some of the stuff I've seen here on [H], but when it comes to having a viewing experience that has made it a lot more desirable to watch movies at home versus going to the movie theater, we've definitely come that far. The only movies I see in the theater are the ones I absolutely have to see within a day or two of release. Other than that, we wait till they hit Netflix and watch them from the comfort of our sofa.

I'm in the process of turning my family room into a home theater. I'm now at a the point where it is fully functional for watching movies and playing games, just missing the decorations.

AND IT'S AWESOME!

140" screen
Optoma HD20 projector
Klipsch 7.1 sound

All running from my computer only

I think your the exact example the article is suggesting. You now have a FAMILY ROOM with a great movie experience, NOT a large room that has no other purpose than watching movies. $20,000 dedicated home theaters are for people that have too many rooms, i.e. wine cellars, 4 car garages, guest cottages, etc. Stuff the next owner will not bat an eye at when he orders the contractor to rip the lot out and rebuild to his wants.

I think your the exact example the article is suggesting. You now have a FAMILY ROOM with a great movie experience, NOT a large room that has no other purpose than watching movies. $20,000 dedicated home theaters are for people that have too many rooms, i.e. wine cellars, 4 car garages, guest cottages, etc. Stuff the next owner will not bat an eye at when he orders the contractor to rip the lot out and rebuild to his wants.

Yeah pretty much. A 2-bedroom home for example has an infinitely higher resale value than a one-bedroom home with a home theater. A family with a couple kids would look at the theater room and go "now why the hell did they eliminate a bedroom when they only had two to begin with?"

I agree with the point of the article. If you dont use something, dont build it.

That is obvious.

If you dont watch TV dont buy one.

If you dont like woman, dont marrry one.

If you dont like money dont work.

If you dont game dont buy an expensive gaming machine.

Wait, is there a point to this post? If not, then I guess the article does not have one either,

My home theatre setup consists of a sony 6.1 amp two floor standing 4 way sony speakers , wharfedale centre , three cubes for the rear , a Behringer TRUTH B2092 360WATT SUB and a 40" Samsung LE40A616 TV.

Light control is important for any kind of viewing or listening experience. The color and types of material in a room have a huge effect on sound and video also.

I love my setup, but I never understood trying to make a room emulate the needless/bad things about a theater. Who needs those uncomfortable bucket seats when a comfy couch is better. Plus, there's not reason to unitask and not implement some gaming and computing, too.

A dedicated home theater is not a plus or a minus, it is a requirement. duh!

I don't care what they say. When I am soaking in my jacuzzi/whirlpool bath, located in the middle of my home theater, there is nothing better than to be able to control everything in the house from my home automation console that is built into the marble surrounding my jacuzzi/whirlpool bath.

One you allocate a room specifically for high quality media consumption...there is NO going back. I built my HT into the basement "family room". Didn't spend a ton of money, but I did spend a fair chunk.

My biggest bitch about that article is some how believing that a big TV and a HTIAB is somehow on par with a dedicated media room. It is probably the most asinine thing I've ever heard. It is almost as retarded as people claiming that consoles give the same experience in gaming as a well built PC. Such bullshit.

My home theater is under $2k.
Yamaha 7.1 receiver.
Altec Lansing matched towers and center (Yes, Altec made real speakers)
15 inch JBL sub 500+ RMS amp
Wharfdale dipole surrounds x 4.
101 inch 16:9 screen with 1080P projector
and a solid (Yes yes...It can play Crysis... as well as the Simpson's Arcade game :) ) HTPC/BRAY/gaming machine.
+Used leather couch (no comment on the used part - I cleaned it) and a giant beanbag!

(Largest purchase the projector $1k)
I did (and do) shop the deals... but still. An HT cost as much as you want to pay.

I enjoy my HT more than the movies ( I can FF through movies stupid parts.... like the entire set of Twilight movie). I get to listen at MY sound levels. and I don't have to deal sticky floors, uncomfortable chairs, cell phones, the make-out crowd and/or stupid people... and I get to eat Chinese food at the movie for under $50. Oh! oh! And you can go in PJ's (though a theater around here had a PJ night... but I think it involved Rocky Horror Picture show - NOTE: bunny slippers + gum = suck... Bunny slippers + trans + gum = suck worse).

And my 4 year old loves it! Everybody know, if it is 4 year old approved it rocks! (Note Thomas the tank engine sounds do not rock... however Jonny Quest 60's has an awesome jazz soundtrack) ;).

My HT is also a great concert venue... again as loud or as soft as I want it.

Note I rarely (once a year) do to a theater => due to this. How much money does that save me a year?

Side note all old video (good) games become new on 101 inch screen! (Yes the snes and nes have been pulled out of mothballs.)

Nothing has given me more hours of enjoyment then this (besides my son and my car - but I digress).

I like the home theater because I can watch R rated movies in it and no one checks my ID.

I like the home theater because I can watch R rated movies in it and no one checks my ID.

But you'd need to show ID when buying R rated movies from stores. At least you did back when I was in high school 20 years ago. I dunno about now :-P

AT....

ALL...

this.... i pretty much agree with the article...

with that said i have a 7 foot screen hanging in my living room... had to take down my cieling fan so that it wouldn't interfere with the throw on the 720p projector.... i put a plastic cap over it, because when i sell my house, a ceiling fan is going back in there...

the key is royally screwing up the resale of your house.... there are people who do this stuff and think it will help them later when they go to sell it... the article is just trying to say it doesn't work

I can't agree.
One of the first sentences in the article is:
In these uncertain times, remodels are more about wringing day-to-day enjoyment out of your house than simply boosting its resale value.

Being that the former is pretty subjective, it's somewhat difficult to say what will give someone else enjoyment.

But you'd need to show ID when buying R rated movies from stores. At least you did back when I was in high school 20 years ago. I dunno about now :-P

Netflix or Blockbuster through the mail, no one asks for ID :)

Paid:

50" Panasonic Plasma G10: $1000
HTPC with 1.5Tb/ati4550: $400
Klipsch 5.1: $230 (I bought this set a while ago still sounds awesome)

For that I paied $1630, I have awesome picture quality, sound quality (not the best...) I have probably as-good-as-you-can-get Blu-ray quality.

Now lets add in the DVR and 360 that has given me tons of entertainment as well!

xbox360: $300
DVR HD: $180

So now that I have excellent picture quality, sound, etc. etc. etc. I now have gaming AND HD recording for a grand total of $2110, can't complain.

Paid:

50" Panasonic Plasma G10: $1000
HTPC with 1.5Tb/ati4550: $400
Klipsch 5.1: $230 (I bought this set a while ago still sounds awesome)

For that I paied $1630, I have awesome picture quality, sound quality (not the best...) I have probably as-good-as-you-can-get Blu-ray quality.

Now lets add in the DVR and 360 that has given me tons of entertainment as well!

xbox360: $300
DVR HD: $180

So now that I have excellent picture quality, sound, etc. etc. etc. I now have gaming AND HD recording for a grand total of $2110, can't complain.

dude...50" TV is like telling a woman you got 3" penis and acting all cool about it. :D

Wow, I'm not sure even Steve read the article - considering the fact that the quote appears to disagree with his synopsis of the article at hand. It specifically says that "Elaborate Home Theaters" costing tens of thousands of dollars are overrated as it can be done for so much less. Whether or not that is valid is irrelevant. How you got the idea that they are bashing Home Theaters in general is beyond me.

Back