Home streaming video quality/improvement ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgabe213

2[H]4U
I build my WHS out of some parts from an unused Dell machine. It's a dual core celeron box to give you an idea.

I rip my DVD's at full quality, and like to stream them via wireless with my laptop. The quality was pretty shitty on our 46" lcd in the living room last night. I had to adjust the laptop resolution down to something just under 1920x1080. It was some odd number that made the desktop look perfect (vs not seeing the task bar in 1920x1080).

Wireless router is a WRT54G, which is plugged into a 5port Dlink gigabit switch. The server is plugged into that, but the server does not have a gigabit NIC. The laptop is an XPS m1330, with an 8400GS and 802.11g wireless.

How can I improve the quality of my picture, and elimate the random stutter issues? Wireless N for the laptop, wireless N router, and a gigabit NIC for the server?

Let me know if that was confusing at all

There's a sub-forum for this type of stuff you're probably better off posting in.

Which would be best?

This is the networking forum. I figured it would be best.

Yes, but I believe they talk and deal with all the streaming, encoding, decoding and what have you. Did you look at it even?

If you streaming high def, you want a dual core CPU, any recent gen video card and hardwire network

I don't like streaming over wireless, it kinda sucks and can hickup easy

I guess I'll try my networking question in a non networking forum.

Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back