home setup

Rahh

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got a new computer and I want to put my old one in my living room. Currently, I only have one router that is hooked up to my new computer and is not wireless capable. I want to put the old computer that i'm moving to my living room on the same connection and was wondering what the best way to do this would be. I have coax cable ready to go where I'm needing the computer but no router access at this time. These two computers are a good distance away from each other.

Well, you'll need to connect both of your computers to the router. So, get some cat-5e cable, and you're set.

Internet connection ---> router ---->both computers.

Or you could go wireless... either way.... but going thinnet would not be the best option....

by "router" did you mean the cable modem? In that case you need to go Cable Modem --> Switched Router --> Computer(s)

yeah, my new computer is now hooked to a cable modem. The place I want my old computer has cable access but would I need another router or switch or what?

Rahh said:
yeah, my new computer is now hooked to a cable modem. The place I want my old computer has cable access but would I need another router or switch or what?
You just need a router. Cable access won’t help. You don’t want to buy 2 ip addresses from your service provider.

Look at the diagrams posted by spacekeeter and Sieravor. The coax cable you have will not work; it’s only used to connect your cable modem to your internet service provider.

Since you already have your new PC connected to the cable modem, you now need to remove it and put a router in its place (connected to the cable modem) and simply plug in the new PC and the living-room PC into this router and follow the wizard to set up ip addresses.

The router allows you to share your internet with multiple PCs. Get some cat5/5e cable which is good up to 100 meters or around 300 ft.

Back