Home Server

Riouken

Limp Gawd
I have always wanted a home server setup and over the last few months I have made that a reality. Some of the software is still a WIP but I finally feel like I have a good working setup. It has been a sweet journey to get here and I love nerding out over this. Forgive me if this is a bit verbose but I wanted to post my route to this home server not only to show off a little but also if it helps anyone else.

Network:

I started by running network cable, I ran a total of 10 runs, 3 to my living room, 4 to my Computer Desk and 1 to each of my bedrooms. Most of my network gear was purchased at Monoprice or Amazon.

Networking Gear:

• Monoprice 24 port keystone Patch Panel.
  • Netgear Prosafe 24 port Gig Switch
  • (3) Netgear Prosafe 5 port Gig Switch
  • T-Moble Cell Spot "Cell Tower"
  • Netgear R6400 Router running DDWRT

Network.png

Hardware:

Server Gear:

It took me some time to decide on a server to run, I had some very specific needs as I wanted to run a plex server with the ability to stream 4k as well as stream up to 4 1080p streams at once. I also really wanted to run VM’s and get backups going so it would be much easier to recover from problems. I decide to buy a refurbished commercial server. After a lot of searching I found SaveMyServer.com on e-bay. They did not have the exact server with the specs that I wanted on ebay so I contacted them and they were great with customer service. I told them what I was looking for and they put together a custom quote/build and sent me a quote on the price. Overall it was a great deal. They ended up creating a custom ebay sale just for me and sent me the link and I was able to purchase it. It took about a 1.5 days for them to build and ship the server.

So far the server has been great, under my heaviest loads I am only using about 50% of my resource pool.

• Dell R710 Gen 2 - 8 2.5” bays
o (2) X5570 CPU’s​

o 64 Gigs of Ram​

o 400 Gig Raid 10 SSD Array for vm storage.​

o 80 Gig SDD for Host OS and log storage.​

Software:

I started off last year running ESXI free. But I ran into several road blocks and two months ago I switched to Xen server for my virtulization and I have been very happy with that choice, coupled with Xen Orchestra xen have been great and I have my server setup and I am backing up my VM’s every night with a delta backup and I keep 7 days of backups on my NAS.

Here are some of the VM’s I am running.

• Caddy Reverse proxy server
o Used to proxy my 1 external IP to multiple VM’s that need to be internet facing.​
  • PiHole DNS Server
o I run this to block adds at the network level.​
  • Nextcloud Server
o This hosts my family’s files as well as the family calendar that is synced to all of our devices.​

o I have one touch scan set up to allow you to press a button on my printer and scan a document and it goes into the cloud. Used to save receipts etc…​
  • OpenFlixr Media Server
  • Plex Server
  • Couchpatato
  • Sickrage
  • Headphones
  • Mylar
  • SAbnzbd
  • Ubooquity
  • XWiki Server
o Used to document things around the house, ie hardware, family etc.
o WIP​
  • OpenHab Server
o Used for home automation
o WIP​
  • Xen Orchestra
o Management server for managing Xen from the browser.​
  • Tiny Tiny RSS Server
o News.
o WIP​

Future plans:

I would like to get a CCTV set up. Several cameras around the house on a separate V-Lan. I am having truble getting my wiki server to run in HTTP so I do not have it exposed to WAN just yet, but once I get this locked down I would like to have this available to WAN so I can access the wiki information on the go. I would also like to get an offsite backup solution up and running soon as well.

Nice setup.
If you're looking for a bit of a boost, the R710s should be able to handle the Westmere X56XX chips.
The X5675 can be had for dirt on Ebay. Clock speed boost, 2 cores on each CPU for 8 total more threads, and same power envelope.

I'd never heard of pi-hole or caddy before. Booth look interesting. application-specific appliances. Very cool.

Thanks, right now I really need more storage and then maybe more ram. My Host usually runs about 23% on cpu usage with spikes into the 40% when I'm encoding streams for users.

Nice setup.
If you're looking for a bit of a boost, the R710s should be able to handle the Westmere X56XX chips.
The X5675 can be had for dirt on Ebay. Clock speed boost, 2 cores on each CPU for 8 total more threads, and same power envelope.

I'd never heard of pi-hole or caddy before. Booth look interesting. application-specific appliances. Very cool.
I would recommend stepping down to X5670s instead - ~$65/pair vs. $110/pair for the X5675 (for only 130MHz more).

eg. Pair of X5675 - $120 :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATCHED-PAI...630709?hash=item51fb6dd735:g:WHQAAOSwqVBZY85H

eg. Pair of X570 - $70 :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-Two-...346980?hash=item1ec615f664:g:6oUAAOSwrddY7ozT

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Be aware the developer is mostly part time working on Openflixr and I have not seen him post in almost a month.

Just be aware if you decide to use it.

Back