Home server started backup...wifi came to a halt

techtips

Gawd
Heya guys, so a quick overview of my home network.

-EX490 MSS server with an E8400 processor and 4gig ram, 8tb of storage. Connected to my E4200 router via ethernet.
-XBMC upstairs on a raspberry pi, connected to network via wifi.
-Desktop in my office upstairs connected to network via wifi.
-30Mbps down, 5 up.
-E4200v1 with DDWRT

As I was trying to load up a show yesterday afternoon, the XBMC previews took a while to load and when I choose my episode...it would load for a while and eventually show the buffering icon and barely play.

I checked my laptops and tower, nothing was downloading from the internet. No windows updates, no torrents but just as I was about to look away, I noticed that the HP MSS icon on my desktop taskbar was blue. It was about 45% complete running a backup. The Ex490 home server does these backups of your current configuration and keeps them stored on the server in case the system(not server) experiences a hard drive failure.

I shut off my tower and waited, XBMC video was still buffering. I shut off the server, restarted XBMC and everything resumed as it should.

This got me thinking...why would this happen? XBMC goes to my router, gets out to the internet and brings home the packets for my chosen show. While the ex490 was trying to backup my desktop...why would it impact my wifi network?

I've been trying to think...could it somehow be lack of resources on this server? Don't think so....but it could be saturating my wireless network and not allowing xbmc video to have priority (QoS disabled)

Thank you

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect a wired connection, even saturated, to affect the wireless functions of the router. I had a similar issue once and it was, believe it or not, resolved by resetting the router. I am unsure why this worked, but maybe the uptime on the router (months) was a contributing factor.

Back