Home Server setup

Modred189

Can't Read the OP
I'm setting up a slightly older computer on my home network to act as a server for backups, transfers, storage etc.
I know the Mirra from Seagate and some of the other retail personal servers have the capability to be accessed remotely.
I'm rather n00bish to servers, so I think what I want is like an ftp capability.

The specs on the system are:
AMD Athlon 64 3800+. 2g's of ram, ATi X700pro, 200Gig hd. Windows MCE.

I also have a copy of Norton PC Anywhere that I know nothing about but got for free, that might be able to do this...

ANy ideas?

Since you're using Windows MCE (which is basically XP), I would ditch the PCAnywhere and just use Remote Desktop which is part of MCE. Also unless you just want to run an ftp server, I would instead use the file sharing capabilities of MCE.

system specs are way more than what a file server needs.. it will work fine... just share the folders on your server drive and then map them on the client PCs...

system specs are way more than what a file server needs.. it will work fine... just share the folders on your server drive and then map them on the client PCs...

I guess when i mention remote access, i mean not just within teh same network. Lets say i am at work and need to grab a file, i want to be able to type in an IP and have access, or something like that.

I guess when i mention remote access, i mean not just within teh same network. Lets say i am at work and need to grab a file, i want to be able to type in an IP and have access, or something like that.

so setup a ftp, remote desktop also works over the internet, you just use your wan address and make sure you have the ports forwarded in your router.

Back