Home Server Room

Posted it before, I'll do it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhuFLigxnq4

Currently on the wishlist is to swap the PE 1850 and the whitebox into a single Xeon E3-1230 based system with 32GB of RAM, and a WHOLE lot of storage (we are looking at probably 33TB when all is said and done). Going to base that off ESXi. Then I would also like to replace my two APs now, and also run cable in the wall instead of tucked under the edge of the carpet but cest la vi.

this is what I have at home with a few minor modifications (I can never just leave stuff alone).

I guess it is not really a "room" per-say but it gets its own dark corner of the basement.

dscf03mlm.jpg

This is mine.

The 4U box near the middle is pretty much my whole environment. Then there's the firewall/switching on top.

Not quite a room yet, but I plan to eventually frame that area as money permits and have a custom hvac system. I'm thinking just a heat exchanger using water tubing. The crawlspace stays fairly cool especially the one under my garage.

DSC_0629.jpg

DSC_0630.jpg

different iterations are in the network pics thread, this is the most recent. This supports a lab, full functional cisco phone system(cucm, unity, cups, ccx), mcast network over gre bgp tunnels with a few friends to share DNLA content, WLC for lwapps(local and hreap)

DSC_0629.jpg

DSC_0630.jpg

different iterations are in the network pics thread, this is the most recent. This supports a lab, full functional cisco phone system(cucm, unity, cups, ccx), mcast network over gre bgp tunnels with a few friends to share DNLA content, WLC for lwapps(local and hreap)

Where's the juniper equipment? :D

I have a 4u rackmount server in the rafters with about 25tb of storage. My UT box, switch, ap, and usb>network box is in an old pantry along with my WHS box that has about 10tb of storage.

It is a mess and this winter I am looking at revamping the layout and move everything out of the panty to a smaller portion, put in a punch panel, and revamp the ap and swith(es). Everything is on apc battery backups also.

My house and computer room are all wired. My STB for direcTV is in the rafters also for the bedroom along with the DECA. It's a spaghetti mess.

I'd also like to rebuild the WHS box to something like win2k3 std and a raid controller and use this to mirror my larger server and use for backups only, and then power off when not in use. Not a perfect off-site backup, but it should work for the intended purpose.

The computer room, computer pantry, and lights are all on separate breakers.

If I ever had the stuff I'd want, I'd either melt breakers in the house, or be broke :p

I just run the stuff in my sig with 3-5 laptops in the house, xbox, ps3, phones, you know, the basics. I do VoIP through Viatalk with a PAP2T adapter.

My network is nothing fancy, but it is something that so many don't have. Rock solid stable and ultra fast to boot.

So, I can't really complain.

First one is my server closet with dedicated AC and 45u rack, second is the 36u AV rack in my living room. Only one computer in the AV rack, but I have three more of those 4u chassis floating around.

Future plans possibly a second Supermicro 1026GT-TF GPU server, replace the PowerConnect 5324 with something that does 10gbe and a POE switch and replace the 4u media computers with zero clients to leverage RFX.

xphil3,

What is that apc unit you have in the rack ?

Pic of my home rack.

DSCN2880.JPG

Got some Cisco goodies today will post pic's when i get a chance.

i want one :)

they are for remote rebooting devices correct ?

Yup.. Those are the old models. You can pick them up on ebay pretty cheap.

The new ones have a nicer interface. Check out the APC Switched or Switched/Metered PDU's.

Yup.. Those are the old models. You can pick them up on ebay pretty cheap.

The new ones have a nicer interface. Check out the APC Switched or Switched/Metered PDU's.

Thanks will look at getting one now for my rack :)

Dash

Yep, its the AP9212. I scored five of them around 2 years ago for under $300 bucks(total) and it was a steal at the time. UI is almost identical to that of the newer units as well. The reason I picked these up was that they had the NEMA-5-15p as opposed to the L5-15/20. You can score some nice vertical PDU for around ~150 bucks but its going to be rare to find one with the standard 5-15 plug, but you can always go with a converter.

Yep, its the AP9212. I scored five of them around 2 years ago for under $300 bucks(total) and it was a steal at the time. UI is almost identical to that of the newer units as well. The reason I picked these up was that they had the NEMA-5-15p as opposed to the L5-15/20. You can score some nice vertical PDU for around ~150 bucks but its going to be rare to find one with the standard 5-15 plug, but you can always go with a converter.

I looked at the apc switch on ebay about 140 for one, can any one show a screen shot of what you get to control them ?

Back