Home Office Setup

Digital39

Weaksauce
I just updated my rack with a few new toys and wanted to start a thread I can keep updated instead of digging through the 50 some pages of the network post. Btw, the two SMC switches are for sale, one is managed PoE the other is unmanaged PM with questions. The pictures aren't that great, when I have limited space right now, but when I move I will have stellar pics.

Organization of this thread is
- Beginning Stages
- Middle Stages
- Current
- Cabinet and Network Layout

Beginning Stages
IMG_1935.jpg

IMG_1936.jpg

Middle Stages
IMG_1999.jpg

IMG_2002.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

Current
IMG_2028.jpg

IMG_2029.jpg

IMG_2030.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

IMG_2041.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

IMG_2043.jpg

Cabinet and Network Layout
20070928.cabinet.png

This is the plan as of right now, it is accurate for the most part minus the missing components which you can see above.
20070928.network.png

nice rig. I've often thought of setting up something similar for my home network with the exception being that there would be on fairly powerful computer in the rack and then my wife and I would connect to its resources through thin clients for our normal web browsing/desktop apps needs. the goal here being that our office would be near silent and cool while the network closet would be where all of the noise and heat lived.

nice rig. I've often thought of setting up something similar for my home network with the exception being that there would be on fairly powerful computer in the rack and then my wife and I would connect to its resources through thin clients for our normal web browsing/desktop apps needs. the goal here being that our office would be near silent and cool while the network closet would be where all of the noise and heat lived.

I worked for a non-tech company that used that method and it was very effective. You can even get thin clients that are basically a wall plate, they have the guts behind the plate and give you ports for USB, PS2, Video. I was considering using them for an idea I had that has since come and gone.

http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS3139003780.html

How sweet it that?

Something unrelated that really sucks is the PSU just went on the 1U so I have a 2U sitting in it for the time being. It makes it worse because I just bought the 1U brand new in the box for $70 shipped. I'm going to do some tests to see if it really is dead though.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Very nice setup, I see you got the patch panel wired up. I really like the RackWriter, I think I am going to buy one. I might have some 1 and 2U vent panels laying around at home, if you are interested, let me know. I also have about 4-5 3U shelves.

Very nice setup, I see you got the patch panel wired up. I really like the RackWriter, I think I am going to buy one. I might have some 1 and 2U vent panels laying around at home, if you are interested, let me know. I also have about 4-5 3U shelves.

Yeah the RackWriter is awesome, you can also mix permanent and non-permanent markers so you can outline things or prevent others from erasing them. You simply write over the permanent with the whiteboard marker and wipe and it is gone. I might be interested in the vented panels, I will let you know, it might not be right away though.

That's fine, I am at school and won't be home for 2 weeks anyway. Shoot me a PM sometime.

I am inclined to say the God of Rackmount Equipment, but I bought it off a guy who was given a ton of equipment as part of his severance package.

For $350 I got the cabinet with both doors, and both sides, two shelves, the top fan kit, and the caster base. The equipment was a few years old, but never installed. You can probably still see tape marks I haven't taken off yet.

There is a buy now on ebay for $272. If you go through the threads of the Network setups (53 pages) there are some blue cabinets that people purchased for $10-$40 by going to yard sales and recycling facilities (same company as mine). If you want to look at the ebay one do a search for the terms:

Hubbell Cabinet

it will be the 45U cabinet.

Back