Home Office Build

Das_Goose

n00b
I've been following a few different threads here, and with the renovation of my house soon underway, I wanted to share with all of you how its all going. As off right now, I have my Dell server rack on order and it should be here at the end of the week. Today my Dell 1850 showed up and my HP DL360's should be here next week some time. I am looking for a good (cost effective) storage solution, if any of you know of any please post below. The house was built back in the 1940's (ish) so the whole house will be getting upgraded wiring. In that, I will be tearing down all the old horse hair and plaster and putting up new 2x4s and new electrical, then new insulation and dry wall. The bed rooms will be getting new carpet, but my office will be getting a new hardwood floor. The server rack will have its own dedicated 20 or 30 amp circuit (I haven't decided yet). Demo starts in the future office on Friday when i leave the office. So stay tuned and pictures will be soon to follow.

Cheers,

Goose

I would just build a freenas box with multiple 2-3tb drives, and share it out. thats one of the easiest ways I know of.

Just a cheap x64 i found to get some vm's running on until i get my R620's in.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but any of the x8xx series Dells are not able to run 64bit OS's in a VM. The only one that can is the 6850. It's a bios issue, theres a "flag" that tells that the processors are VT capable.

Although you may not care, my biggest problem was that I couldn't play around with XenServer, and other VM's like Promox etc.

Unless something has changed or someone has come with a custom bios, you're kinda stuck. BTW, I have 3 1850,s and 2850. Thats how I know.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but any of the x8xx series Dells are not able to run 64bit OS's in a VM. The only one that can is the 6850. It's a bios issue, theres a "flag" that tells that the processors are VT capable.

Although you may not care, my biggest problem was that I couldn't play around with XenServer, and other VM's like Promox etc.

Unless something has changed or someone has come with a custom bios, you're kinda stuck. BTW, I have 3 1850,s and 2850. Thats how I know.

Thanks for saving me from going nuts and pulling my hair out! Looks like ill just be waiting to get my R620s for the x64s then. Dell is saying 9 NOV is when ill get them. gives me time to get my office finished before i start building the rack up.

just a quick post. I ordered this yesterday and it was waiting for me when i got home today. Talk about fast shipping. i basically stole this from the guy on ebay. paid 31.50 for it shipped. was posted as no hard drives, 512mb ram. Well it actually has two 73Gb 10K SCSI drives that look brand new, and it has 4GB of RAM. AND IT HAS THE DANG KEYS TOO!!! not that ill need them. In my now 9+ years working with servers i don't think i have ever seen a dell key. :D

fBtvd.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the thread OP. I'm looking forward to seeing this project unfold.

I would just build a freenas box with multiple 2-3tb drives, and share it out. thats one of the easiest ways I know of.

FYI, if you are looking for massive storage, maxing on GB/disk is the way to go. But if you are looking for performance out of your storage, go for more disks of smaller capacity. Generally, more spindles in an array = better performance.

The more you know. :D

just a quick post. I ordered this yesterday and it was waiting for me when i got home today. Talk about fast shipping. i basicly stole this from the guy on ebay. paid 31.50 for it sipped. was posed as no hard drives, 512mb ram. Well it actually has two 73Gb 10K SCSI drives that look brand new, and it has 4GB of RAM. AND IT HAS THE DANG KEYS TOO!!! not that ill need them. In my now 9+ years working with servers i dont think i have ever seen a dell key. :D

fBtvd.jpg

hydro bill time ! Those are loud too!

hydro bill time ! Those are loud too!

I ran a test on it last night to make sure everything worked and i was able to configure RAID. It was not too bad. I am however rethinking getting more 1U servers because they do tend to be louder than 2+U servers.

I ran a test on it last night to make sure everything worked and i was able to configure RAID. It was not too bad. I am however rethinking getting more 1U servers because they do tend to be louder than 2+U servers.

The 1U Dell R620's are super quite. I had 3 on my desk while I was setting them up and you could not hear them over back ground noise.

The 1U Dell R620's are super quite. I had 3 on my desk while I was setting them up and you could not hear them over back ground noise.

We use a ton of R620's in our data center, but Ive never fired one up not in a rack. But that's good to know!

Same goes for R430, and R210ii. Whisper quiet.

well, they are not WISPER quiet, but they are a FUCKING HELL of alot quiet than any other 1u,

I have a R415 and it's quiet, i can hear it but it's not annoying and easy to tune out.

OP, thats a nice dell rack NICE NICE SCORE DUDE!

wish i could find a nice pull out lcd & kbd mouse :(

make those fans quiet tho :)

That's exactly the kind of rack I wanted, but when I came across the one I've got, I couldn't say no at the time :)

Nice.

Sorry for the lack of updates. Sandy kicked our ass. Today i picked up my new 200 amp metee base and 200 amp breaker panel. Fout out the my house is only gettinf 60 amp service. So before i do anything else the whole house is getting new wiring. Pics to follow

Dash- With the 1u's its not even that I find them loud, they have almost like a whine to them, thats what drives me nuts. Am running an ITX in a 1u tho. Made an old P3 case a new life as my pfsense.

Op- Sorry to hear the storm got you, but we patiently will wait and wonder what you have in store for us.

Hi All,

here are the pictures i said i would post.

Old Panel
xXBWk.jpg

Location of new Panel, (its about 8 feet to the left of original panel just on drywall.
PEZye.jpg

New 200 Amp Square D Home Line Panel. (Thinking about getting the Square D QO line)
MU5vp.jpg

Panel with the 20A service outlet hung
5XJP7.jpg

Line for the service outlet. just put it in quick, but wiring will be much more better. (yes i know that is really bad English but i do have a redneck side that comes out when i drink whiskey)
1OouN.jpg

Hi all,

Well i am finally all cleaned up from sandy. Work has been crazy over the last week. Had six Perc 6/i cards go out at the same time. Thankfully we have Gold support with 4 hr turn around. Servers were only down for about 2 1/2 hours with no data loss.

Back at the home lab, The dell server rack i was supposed to have shipped to the house "got lost" in shipping. I was refunded my money and got a 42U Compaq rack (way more than what i need but it was only half the cost). Still running new electrical in the house, only got the basement done and some of the 2nd floor.

I also decided to set up my home beer brewery down in my basement and turn it over to electric. I will post pictures on that also when that gets underway. Just wanted to make a quick post to give you all a update on whats going on. Hope all is well!

Goose

Hi all,

Well i am finally all cleaned up from sandy. Work has been crazy over the last week. Had six Perc 6/i cards go out at the same time. Thankfully we have Gold support with 4 hr turn around. Servers were only down for about 2 1/2 hours with no data loss.

Back at the home lab, The dell server rack i was supposed to have shipped to the house "got lost" in shipping. I was refunded my money and got a 42U Compaq rack (way more than what i need but it was only half the cost). Still running new electrical in the house, only got the basement done and some of the 2nd floor.

I also decided to set up my home beer brewery down in my basement and turn it over to electric. I will post pictures on that also when that gets underway. Just wanted to make a quick post to give you all a update on whats going on. Hope all is well!

Goose

YAY to 4 hour :) welcome to my job :) ( dell tech )

I know this thread is old, but I figured it time to breathe some life back into it. I was all over the place in the last 5 months and got some new gear. But my fav piece should be at my house today when i get home. Its a Dell R620 192GB RAM Dual Xeon E5-2690's (16 Cores at 2.9GHz). ( I have some really good friends at Dell and this baby needed a home) I will post pics when I get it opened up. I will make a larger update soon.

Back