Home networked computers can't access each other.

scgt1

Supreme [H]ardness
It seems every time I reload my computer that has AirVPN on it I have a hell of a time setting up network sharing for specific folders on my own home network with other computers. I am also running Eset Smart Security but each computer isn't showing up as a blocked device on each other so that isn't my holdup.

Ever since Win 10 MS just can't seem to get Homegroup to actually work properly. Surprise they will be removing it with an upcoming update. Wonder why!

So my daily media server is running AirVPN and my Local network is setup as just that a local Private network in the firewall settings in Eset SS. The virtual network (AirVPN) is setup as public.

I've gone through File Manager/Explorer and set a few folders for sharing. Yet my game rig can't access the server under Network/Computer. I'm met with the typical \\Said computer name is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission. Account restrictions are preventing this user from signing in. For example: blank passwords aren't allowed, sign-in times are limited, or a policy restriction has been enforced.

It's been at least 9 months since I reloaded my daily/media server pc so I can't remember for the life of me what I've done in the past other then I had a direct shortcut link on my game rigs desktop that lead to the media pc which is what is giving me the same notice above.

I can only assume this problem has something to do with AirVPN I just don't remember what I have done in the past to work around it/ get the sharing to work on my own local home network.

Sounds like a giant mess of security software and VPN networking has you in a mess.

You're going to have to do a process of elimination. What are the results you get if you don't run any of them with AirVPN? Does ESET SS have a firewall? I know Windows firewall will block any traffic by default that comes from another subnet, even if you have your network set to "private".

I got it sorted. Had to turn off password protected sharing under network & security/advanced sharing settings. Now I can share my folders from media pc to my game rig but for some reason only through my old shortcut link I had on my game rigs desktop. When in file manager/explorer selecting the Network icon on the left only yields the following sections:
Media Devices, Multifunction Devices, Network Infrastructure, Other Devices, Printers, and Scanners. There is no Computers section that shows all networked computers.

Now on my Media server/daily computer the Network icon on the left of Explorer/File Manger actually lists the connected computers and I can access my game rig that way. It also lists my media server computer (which is the one I'm on when doing this). So why the local networked computers when on my game rig don't show up in the network/Computers section is beyond me. For that matter why there isn't a computers section showing up period is beyond me. lol

At least I can now access my media server from my game rig via the desktop shortcut to it.

Back