Home Network Refresh (need opinions)

spotdog14

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello everyone. I am going to finally be getting a new wireless router and wanted to know if the setup that I am proposing will be the best.

What will be connected:

Dell Studio XPS 16 Laptop (N)
Dell Stuido XPS 13 Laptop (N)
Dell Mini 9 Laptop (G)
Roommates Laptop (G)
PS3 (ethernet)
Wii (G)
Slingbox (ethernet)
Home Server (ethernet)
iPhone (G)
Nokia E71 (G)

Current network hardware:

Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem
Linksys WRT54g v2

Now, my grand idea is to get a Netgear WNDR3700 and here is how I am thinking about connecting everything. Cable Modem to Netgear then have the old Linksys plugged into the Netgear to host all the G traffic. I will move everything that is hardwired over to the Netgear and the two N laptops.

How does this sound? I am keeping the Linksys in the mix so I don't have to go reconfigure everything on the network and because it has Tomato installed and I have it pretty well customized. But I want the dual band Netgear so when my Linksys does finally die (since it is pretty old) I can move everything over.

So, what do you think? Good idea or no?

The new netgear should be N,G,B unless you want to do N only. In that case chaining the linksys to the netgear. You will need to turn off DHCP and just use it a AP. In theory your idea should work fine.

The new netgear should be N,G,B unless you want to do N only. In that case chaining the linksys to the netgear. You will need to turn off DHCP and just use it a AP. In theory your idea should work fine.

I assume that he is leaving the netgear N only so that he can get the best speeds out of it since "Multi-Mode" usually results in slower speeds for N connected devices.

Your setup looks good to me. I really want that router just can't bring myself to drop the money right now.

I assume that he is leaving the netgear N only so that he can get the best speeds out of it since "Multi-Mode" usually results in slower speeds for N connected devices.

Your setup looks good to me. I really want that router just can't bring myself to drop the money right now.
You are correct. I have a new HD Slingbox that I got for xmas and believe that my speed/quality would greatly improve if I upgraded from my old WRT. I want to keep the linksys as B/G only so all the "slower" clients can run off of that and only the hardwired/N clients will run on the new N only netgear.

Get a dual radio 802.11n WAP (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz).

All your G stuff should stay on the 2.4Ghz radio and (depending on your NIC preferences) all your N stuff should keep to itself on the 5Ghz radio.

This should let you have full N speeds on your laptops, and the 2.4ghz radio will operate in G compatibility mode. This is what I do. I have a 3Com 9550 dual-band WAP and everything with an N card associates to the 5Ghz radio, but other devices associate to the 2.4Ghz.

Riley

Back