Home Network on 10/100mb router

ganesh21

2[H]4U
My home network consist of the the 4 computer.

• Game Rig-wired
  • Media/Storage Rig-wired
  • Sister Desktop-wired
  • Laptop-wireless

The all computer are connected to a router. Linksys 54g wireless route with 10mb/100mb. (can't remember exact model number)

When i transfer a file from one computer to another computer, my network utilization is at 99%.

I guess it would be best to upgrade to a new route with 100/1000mb.

If you need more deal please let me know.

When i transfer a file from one computer to another computer, my network utilization is at 99%.

That means that it is sending the files as fast as it can.

Do all your PCs have gigabit (1000mbps) network cards? If not, what's the point. Are you satisfied with your transfer speeds? You do realize it's probably going to say 99% on the new card too?

Just FYI - your transfer speeds will improve on a gigabit network - but it won't be 10X as one would guess based on math. Most of the time you'll actually see a 1.5 - 3X speed rates - better =yes - what most people expect =no.

It doesn't really hurt anything to be at a high network utilization - if you need file transfers to be faster - then gigabit is your only option.

That means that it is sending the files as fast as it can.

Do all your PCs have gigabit (1000mbps) network cards? If not, what's the point. Are you satisfied with your transfer speeds? You do realize it's probably going to say 99% on the new card too?

All PC have gigabit network card.

I'm not very satisfied with the transfer rate.

Just FYI - your transfer speeds will improve on a gigabit network - but it won't be 10X as one would guess based on math. Most of the time you'll actually see a 1.5 - 3X speed rates - better =yes - what most people expect =no.

It doesn't really hurt anything to be at a high network utilization - if you need file transfers to be faster - then gigabit is your only option.

I don't expect it to jump 10 folder.

The biggest problem is when I'm transferring files, my internet connected drop from 940kpb to 100kpbs due to the 99% network.

If the change to a 1gig router will increase my transfer by 2x and i have full internet connection. Than i will go ahead to change to 1 gig route.

My home network consist of the the 4 computer.

• Game Rig-wired
  • Media/Storage Rig-wired
  • Sister Desktop-wired
  • Laptop-wireless

The all computer are connected to a router. Linksys 54g wireless route with 10mb/100mb. (can't remember exact model number)

If you need more deal please let me know.

You don't have to get a new router with gigabit. You could instead buy a gigabit switch plug the pcs into that, and 1 port into the router. This would keep you from having to reconfigure a new router, and might be cheaper.

alternatively, i like my d-link gamerlounge DGL-4300 router which has gigabit on the lan side. They have a new 4500 with 802.11N wireless + a fancy screen on top, but its close to $200 i think.

This all assumes your pcs have gigabit, and your cabling is up to gigabit. You won't see a 10x boost in file copy speeds, more likely 2-3x max.

Back