Home network (almost).

munkle

[H]F Junkie
So here are some pictures of my cable running/network that is in progress.

This is where the new cable line comes and where a bunch of the cables come out from the closet with the modem.

This is where the cable modem, switch and monowall are.

This is the wireless (dd-wrt) and switch for 2 connections upstairs. Duct tape looks kind of ugly but it keeps the old air duct from cutting the cables, probably will clean this up once I get a little more finished.

It's all up and running, now I just need to finish it all off.

Edit:

Did some cable management looks alot better now.

Last edited:
FYI, you need to use plenum rated cable for running it through an air space like that. Also, look into raceway.

FYI, you need to use plenum rated cable for running it through an air space like that. Also, look into raceway.

Both are out of use (we dont have swamp cooler anymore), and the vents are sealed off, the only opening is where the cable comes in, and goes out. And the cable managment defiantly isn't done yet :p

even if the ducts arent in use, you need plenum rated cables if used in an open air space like that if you want it up to code (unless there are fire barriers at every point that the ducts transition from room to room). though its only an issue if anyone were to inspect the house, or if you were to have a fire. however in the unfortunate event that you do have a fire, and the insurance company says they arent going to pay you because of improper wiring, that is something you dont want to mess with.

plenum rated cables are made with a different low-smoke-emitting and fire resistant plastic. if a fire enters the 'plenum' the cables wont catch fire themselves and cause an updraft and lots of smoke for you to breathe.

Code differs from state to state obviously but what ghost said stands true - most states require plenum cable if running in or riding on ductwork. Some states do require that cables be completely separate and others-still require that cabling be in its own isolated and fire resistant conduit.

If the OP really wants it 'up to code', make sure to find out what 'code' is in your state from a licensed electrician. :)

Back