Home Made Heatsink

Originally posted by feelingshorter
i live like 300 feet from the rail road and the train runs VERY often. I sometimes get woken up at night by that stupid thing gonig *HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK* why the hell do train make that STUPID ASS NOISE! It pisses me off, its not like people are blind and gonna walk in front of a train moving SLOW AS HELL, i could out run (actualy, out walk it, but its carrying like 100 18 wheeler cargo) it, always making that *HOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKK*

uh, policy as a train is moving through town, so they dont run over drunken/retarded people

Originally posted by Tengis
my slk900u looks very dull from handling, etc. =/. Anyway to get rid of that bs? Does it stop it from cooling any at all?

Rather than ketchup, there are things used for polishing/honing steel that are supposed to help protect it from rusting. It occurs to me that if you tried using some of that stuff on copper it would still work the same. I think it wouldn't impede heat transfer any noticable amount, or at least the stuff I use on blades I think wouldn't, but, then most of them are stainless so I can't be sure (it's not just for preventing rust, it's used to help keep the stone clean and all too.)

I got so much school wooork lately that i havent been able 2 make the homemade heatsink. Give me 1-2 weeks and it WILL be worthy of a sticky :D (hopefuly) Ill make it as craptastic as possible. And about the rust thing, dont wory, the whole heatsink is nearly made out of alumnium and were not gonna even melt the penny (mabe we will ):eek:. Basicaly alumnium foil/1 penny at the bottem, pretty simple stuff, and the penny will be encased in alumnium so i dont think the rust would matter or if it can even rust at all in alumnium casing.

Originally posted by r_a_s88
uh, policy as a train is moving through town, so they dont run over drunken/retarded people

*sigh* why have we given up on natural selection?

why not use canadian pennies to make it? ANything prior to 1997 was at least 98% copper. Plus CDN stuff would be cheaper to get. Just an idea.

As I said earlier, technically, its illegal to destroy Canadian money. That's why at many penny presses throughout the country, there's a tray filled with American pennies.

Legalities aside, how many Americans are going to be easily able to find Canadian pennies? (besides those that live near the border)

Originally posted by dotZIP
As I said earlier, technically, its illegal to destroy Canadian money. That's why at many penny presses throughout the country, there's a tray filled with American pennies.

Legalities aside, how many Americans are going to be easily able to find Canadian pennies? (besides those that live near the border)

Canadian currency isn't really rare in the US.

I'm forever getting short changed:rolleyes: By some shmuck passing me along that stuff:eek:
Now at least I won't mind:eek:

you probably have, but never noticed.

I'm always ending up with canadian change, yet I live in KY.

I'm always ending up with american pennies... always feel so bad for paying more than I have to, lol :D

I never even seen canadian currency of any kind at all.

helps to get outside once in a while :D

seriously, I get it all the time, I live in new jersey. I got it a hell of a lot more when I was by buffalo last year though. In fact most places took either currency.

Hey feelingshorter now heres a ghehetto review you could do for The [H]:
" The latest [H]ard review, U.S. copper penny heatsink VS Our neighbors Canadian copper penny heatsink. While traveling recently I scoped up some pennies from random trays at various gas stations to keep this review totally objective............"

Originally posted by OPUS1
Hey feelingshorter now heres a ghehetto review you could do for The [H]:
" The latest [H]ard review, U.S. copper penny heatsink VS Our neighbors Canadian copper penny heatsink. While traveling recently I scoped up some pennies from random trays at various gas stations to keep this review totally objective............"

sounds like afrotech if anything

OK I release all writes to above review just send me a penny per view:)

bah, who cares if its illegal to do. Im sure they are not gonna come after you for melting pennies... or will they? You yanks better be careful or were gonna send csis after all our pennies down there!

Originally posted by kleptophobiac
you probably have, but never noticed.

I'm always ending up with canadian change, yet I live in KY.
nah i woulda noticed, i live in texas, how would a canadian penny get down 2 texas? Rarely, and canadian is more influenced by American than we are by them, so they recieve a lot of our coins but we dont really get much of theirs where i live.

Originally posted by Super strokey
bah, who cares if its illegal to do. Im sure they are not gonna come after you for melting pennies... or will they? You yanks better be careful or were gonna send csis after all our pennies down there!

lol CSIS... but word would leak out from a dumbass senator and they'd get a chance to escape...

while cashing in $15 in pennies two days ago (lol saved pennies for 2 years or so and decided to rid the jar, it was getting heavy) i noticed 1/3 was american... darn... shouulda asked for more money >.<

While overclocking I noticed some instability on my system. I have an older version of the A7N8X and I've read the southbridge tends to run hot.
I proceded to probe my southbridge's temperature with my finger, and it was quite hot.

This poor guy needed a heatsink.

culprit.jpg

The Endcap heatsink was born.

Here are the 3 parts I will be using: (1 inch endcap, 3/4" endcap, and a 1/2" coupler (the 1/2" endcap was too short))

3parts.jpg

The plan is to have the endcaps inside eachother concentrically

plan.jpg

I decided to tin the endcaps seperatly where they would be soldered together to ease the job

tinned.jpg

They were soldered together using a piece of aluminum rod to hold them off my desk (in the dorm) and a pencil torch

soldering.jpg

The lengths were trimmed with a dremel and pie cut into 4 pieces, this is a picture of it installed with the superglue 4 "corner" method.

installed.jpg

The base was then lapped flat with 1500 grit sandpaper and then polished with some Radioshack heatsink grease and a cloth

base.jpg

This heatsink does get quite warm, to the touch, so I know the thermal interface is adequate. The videocard gets in the way limitting its height so no fan could be added.

This mod did however increase my stability allowing Prime95 to run on my overclocked system. XP2500+ @ 195FSB on A7N8X rev. 1.04

Dude, that's a sweet heatsink. I wonder if you could add some more cuts, and add a fan blowing accross it. Get some airflow over that thing.

Nice ramsinks too.

the afrotech mod, didnt talk about melting penies but rather lapping the pennies, an usig them as radiator fins,

there is no crime in altering or damaging U.S. currency only trying to pass that alterd or damage currency off as payment.

Adrenaline; damn nice mod, Ive been tempted to do a similare one myself, but just never got around to it, you may get better temps if you cut into the copper some more (not the big cuts, but if you can (looking for word0 corigate the tops (wwwww) and cut thin rings into the sides, (either rings around the outside, or lines from top to botom) you will increase your surface aria while mantainig the bulk of your copper intact

im not meaning this to rag on your mod, its damn good and I am impressed, just offering some ideas that would incorperate if it did it but its our mod not mine and its a damn good job

Yea I was going to cut into it more but with the heat associated with soldering the copper became annealed, and very susceptible to bending.

Originally posted by Adrenaline
Yea I was going to cut into it more but with the heat associated with soldering the copper became annealed, and very susceptible to bending.

Adrenaline, I can tell you're an Engr. student. Heat that bad boy up and cool it in water and it will take care of that annealing problem. By the way very nice thinking outside of that old "box". Kudos!

So thats a good idea, i think ill take the time and see if i can make a pennarter. But the train might push the thing off before it gets squashed so i think ill have 2 tape it down or something so it wont blow ahway n so the penny gets smashed RIGHT in the middle of it. Not only that, it is proably easier 2 melt the skinner it is. Does anyone know what a quarter is made out of? I dont think it is silver is it?
You can spit on the tracks and put the penny on the spit to hold it in place. Cheapest way to hold it down :)

Originally posted by Adrenaline

Heating it to soldering temperatures shouldn't have softened it so much that you couldn't cut into it again without deforming it, have you tried it?

And md262626, that's a good way to harden steel given the proper conditions, but non-ferrous metals don't behave in exactly the same way so I doubt that would work. The caps are probably pretty pure copper (low-alloy at least) so heating it up is more likely to soften it further, regardless of the quench rate.

Pour some plaster around and that will help support your cuts.
Use a high speed dremel nice and easy;)

What in the world did you use to tin it? And on the 5th picture, whats that green thing in that container?

EDIT:
i was on my way to hobbie lobby 2 buy some cheap stuff and make my ramsink and heatsink when i saw your thing, where did you get that pencil torch? Radio shack?

What in the world did you use to tin it? And on the 5th picture, whats that green thing in that container?

EDIT:
i was on my way to hobbie lobby 2 buy some cheap stuff and make my ramsink and heatsink when i saw your thing, where did you get that pencil torch? Radio shack?
In that pic you can see he is using solder, and that green stuff is flux.

That torch is basically just butane soldering iron with the top off (they make them so you can do that).

pennies are largely made from zinc now. why? copper is too expensive for their worth. you can buy you're own coper cheaply enough....just ake sure you have access to a bunsen(spelling?) burner or blow torch.

sheee yow!!!

Originally posted by 8Complex
In that pic you can see he is using solder, and that green stuff is flux.

That torch is basically just butane soldering iron with the top off (they make them so you can do that).

i saw some pencil torches like that on the internet before, i want one now lol, just 2 play around with, i dint solder can be used 2 tin stuff, but now i do.

EDIT:

man i have 2 buy a dremel, solder, a pencil torch, i mind as well freakin buy ramsinks! *calm down, calm down*
I think ill just buy the torch, and the sand paper, and the aheasive glue, and the copper bars. And the pennies are cheap and easy 2 find but then i have to buy buthane 2 put in the torch and i will proably need more than one fill worth. This is all getting expensive.

But i do need 2 make more than one heatsink, he only made on for his bridge, ill be making one for every piece of memory in my computer.

me and my friend use to have these little blow torches. They where little butain torches the size of pens. We would hold like pennies and and shit with pliars and melt them down. The two torches would turn some pennies into liquid within seconds, but some pennies would just like burn and crisp up. One time we melted this one pennie down and it dripped on my friends leg, it was cool.

one word baby thermite i think thats about 3000 degres farenhite and it is one of your two chemicals so heres how it goes you put the pennies in the bowl and the thermite underneath surrond pennies with lead (it will be burned away) then your left with a drop or two of whatever had the higest turning into a vapor point posibily it'll be a metal and you pour it into a plaster of paris mold the let it set and whatnot break the mold ta da might consider doping the in a fireplace or outside

Originally posted by abaddon
one word baby thermite i think thats about 3000 degres farenhite and it is one of your two chemicals so heres how it goes you put the pennies in the bowl and the thermite underneath surrond pennies with lead (it will be burned away) then your left with a drop or two of whatever had the higest turning into a vapor point posibily it'll be a metal and you pour it into a plaster of paris mold the let it set and whatnot break the mold ta da might consider doping the in a fireplace or outside

Would you rephrase that so that we can understand it?

Most english sentences (and individual thoughts for that matter) are terminated in periods. Notice the little dot following the word "period" after the thought was complete.

It helps to get a response if you are understandable.

I think he means get some Thermite, heat it up with with the pennies and some lead in there, and the thermite heats up so hot it will melt the pennies, and the thermite/lead are burned away. Then pour liquid penny into a mold... or something.

Back