Home Made Heatsink Abandoned

feelingshorter

Limp Gawd
Title says it, reply and keep this post up for a day or 2. Sad yes i know, i keep trying but failing. I still havent recieved my torch and i am afraid my ceramic bowl will break since it is cheap so i wouldnt dare let a bowl of molten copper melt over my stove. My parents would kill me! It was such a good idea tho wasnt it?

My stupid torch, i hope i dint get scammed on ebay, it should of arrived by now. Anyways i proably dont have the money to finnish the homemade heatsink e ven if i wanted to, i am not a computer gamer (cuz i'm on 56k) and i just found a new hobbie that sucked up 270 dollars of my money recently and about 2 suck up another 50 (for the airsoft battery).

Its a commando m733 if ur curious. If only i can find a job.

termite huh, thats not the problem, the problem is finding the freakin copper. And i was in my right mind, it was just some cheap weed (literality, garden weed). Did you know you can smoke ANYTHING? You can like anything that can burn, so the next time you see a burning house, go grab urself a burning piece of wood and inhale. Deep breath.

hawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Copper is easy to come by, any pennie made before 1984 (I belive, check with others) is made of 100% copper.

Originally posted by obyj34
Copper is easy to come by, any pennie made before 1984 (I belive, check with others) is made of 100% copper.

Here we go again:eek:

Sorry to see ya go but was fun thanks:)

Originally posted by obyj34

Better idea: (Likethere are alot of good ideas floating around this thread..) http://www.onlinemetals.com

Bought from them before, very good to work with.

The Composition of the Cent (taken from the U.S. Mint website.)

Following is a brief chronology of the metal composition of the cent coin (penny):

The composition was pure copper from 1793 to 1837.
From 1837 to 1857, the cent was made of bronze (95 percent copper, and five percent tin and zinc).
From 1857, the cent was 88 percent copper and 12 percent nickel, giving the coin a whitish appearance.
The cent was again bronze (95 percent copper, and five percent tin and zinc) from 1864 to 1962.
(Note: In 1943, the coin's composition was changed to zinc-coated steel. This change was only for the year 1943 and was due to the critical use of copper for the war effort. However, a limited number of copper pennies were minted that year. You can read more about the rare, collectible 1943 copper penny in "What's So Special about the 1943 Copper Penny.")
In 1962, the cent's tin content, which was quite small, was removed. That made the metal composition of the cent 95 percent copper and 5 percent zinc.
The alloy remained 95 percent copper and 5 percent zinc until 1982, when the composition was changed to 97.5 percent zinc and 2.5 percent copper (copper-plated zinc). Cents of both compositions appeared in that year.

Copper pipe or wire or better yet: copper bars would be more practical.

If you could find copper dust, that would be the best solution.

i'm thinking about where i can get copper wires and thermite right now, anyone kow how much termite cost

I thought you were putting an end to this idea...
As was stated in your first thread, thermite is way too hot and completely impractical as a method for melting copper.

And Killernoodle, copper dust can be easily procured, but it would quickly turn to copper oxide powder unless heated in an inert atmosphere. Copper slugs or pellets purchased from a chemical supplier would be the best bet.

Dude, I have been a machinist for a long time. When it comes to backyard foundries do not mess with Thermite or any Redox type of stuff. Once you get this stuff going there is no stopping it. Copper is a Biatch to do as it does give off toxic fumes when molten. Uncontrolable foundries= flames and lots of them.

you need something like magnesium to light thermite anyways.. not to mention it burns striaght through most stuff.

Unless you had an inert atmosphere to put it in, I'd imagine you'd oxidize the copper very quickly. That is unless of course copper doesn't oxidize very readily compared to say, aluminum(which, when I tried to melt, all I got was a bunch of lousy burned up aluminum :p)

The melting point of copper, just about 1100'C can be EASILY attained with a few coffee cans, a couple of soup cans, a jumbo-size soup can, an electric fan, and gasoline. I say this because I've done it myself. Now of course, a proper furnace(like that which is used in blacksmithing), would work a lot better, but if you wanna do this on a budget, you can probably do it for about $20 if you want to do it right(maybe like $10-15 for the fan, and $5 for a piece of wood if you don't have it lying around to mount the fan onto, to insulate it from the furnace. Make sure you get a turbine fan if you do this, otherwise you'll run into problems).

All that said however, you'd probably be a LOT better off just taking a copper plate, drilling/tapping(threading) a ton of little holes in it, and getting aluminum rods and threading them into the base(use some thermal paste if you like, should work fine either way). That's *essentially* the design of the swiftech mcx 460 as far as I remember it. That would require very little fabrication, no super hot furnaces or torches, no botched attempts at melting copper, no horrific burning of your skin by said molten copper, etc etc etc.

That's my .02 anyway. Actually that's more like a quarter or something really, but who's counting?

This shit is cracking me up:

i'm thinking about where i can get copper wires and thermite right now, anyone kow how much termite cost

#1 - THERMITE; (advice: avoid it like the plague)

#2 - this guy has no business melting anything with these kind of statements.

Go to a machine shop with your purchase from http://onlinemetals.com and let them deal with the practicalities of machining copper.

Originally posted by jen4950

#1 - THERMITE; (advice: avoid it like the plague)

#2 - this guy has no business melting anything with these kind of statements.

[/B]

Geez, If we all thought like that we'd never have had dynamite:D

Back