Home File Server vs NAS

Cod

Gawd
Are there any mind blowing advantages / disadvantages to either? The only major thing I can think of is that a NAS will be much more limited in the HDD space department. I also feel like a server will give me much more control.

Bottom line, I'm debating on turning an old PC into a file server or purchasing a NAS (Synology).

If you can afford it I highly recommend a Synology NAS. I have an uptime of 200+ days and that's only because I did a system upgrade else it'd be longer. Try out the demo of their interface on their site.

For me I went the server route. Easier to upgrade/expand. And, I've got a web/ftp/mail server setup on there as well. I'm running Linux with mdadm on it.

If you can afford it I highly recommend a Synology NAS. I have an uptime of 200+ days and that's only because I did a system upgrade else it'd be longer. Try out the demo of their interface on their site.

Synology makes awesome NAS devices. My vote is for this.

Its all about what you need actually.

My need was a complete nas solution :

- Powerfull enough to receive and record all streams from the IP cameras on my network
- Media center for family need (4 TV´s, 2 media players, Videos, audio, photos and etc)
- Storage and etc
- Local and remote *cloud* services (VPN and etc)

I dont believe that theres a NAS powerfull enough and if is, it will be much much muuuuch more expensive than build my own.

I messed a little with an Synology with 4 ports (dont remember the model :( ) the software was very nice and stable, but the machine was weak for me :(

I started out on a Thecus 4100-Pro 4-bay NAS and then upgraded to an actual server with a 12-bay hot-swap chassis. I bought some older hardware and was only in about $300 for the whole server sans drives. It was a 3U setup made by Rackable running an old Opteron 270. Runs Server 2008r2 just fine as all i'm using it for is file storage. But it could handle heaver loads if i dropped a second CPU onto the board. But as I said. the buy-in cost was cheap. around the price of an entry level NAS. So it never hurts to explore your options.

I love my Synology NAS. Mine does the following things:

File server (obviously)
DLNA Media Server (includes web and mobile apps for media consumption)
Wordpress server (for my wedding website)
Apache Webserver (for another website)
CrashPlan (for automatic cloud backup)
Email Server
Email Client
Various other small duties

There are also packages to use it like dropbox and a VPN server package that I am not using. I installed a StartSSL certificate so all web connections to it are encrypted. Upgrading is super easy if you decide to add drives or upgrade devices in the future. All in a package the size of a toaster that pulls less than 20W!

They have a wide range devices from lower power home-centric to enterprise backup solutions. One of them is likely to be perfect for your needs. Seems like a DS413 or DS412+ (or DS213, DS213+) should do all you are asking.

Last edited:
I'm still using an old intel nas ss4000e which is basically an old PC in a nice case with 4 drives with plenty of fans to keep it cool. I upgraded both the RAM and the CPU in it and have it running ubuntu. If all you wanna do is file storage then go ahead and get an NAS. I personally prefer a fully customizable machine and the only downtime I've ever had on mine was settings or drive swaps.

When people run into problems with most of these enclosures and what not it is usually heat related.

Somebody above mentioned ports... Internal drives are the only way to go if you care about speed. External has never been a viable option for a server.

For most that aren't full-time IT, it often comes down to this:

NAS: Higher initial cost, robust feature set, limited expandability (QNAP and Synology make wonderful devices)

BYO Server: Lower cost of entry, open software choice, plenty of hardware choice/expandibility. (Ebay has a BOATLOAD of off-lease chassis at dirt cheap prices)

I love my Synology NAS. Mine does the following things:

File server (obviously)
DLNA Media Server (includes web and mobile apps for media consumption)
Wordpress server (for my wedding website)
Apache Webserver (for another website)
CrashPlan (for automatic cloud backup)
Email Server
Email Client
Various other small duties

There are also packages to use it like dropbox and a VPN server package that I am not using. I installed a StartSSL certificate so all web connections to it are encrypted. Upgrading is super easy if you decide to add drives or upgrade devices in the future. All in a package the size of a toaster that pulls less than 20W!

They have a wide range devices from lower power home-centric to enterprise backup solutions. One of them is likely to be perfect for your needs. Seems like a DS413 or DS412+ (or DS213, DS213+) should do all you are asking.

What Synology model are using for those tasks? I'm researching today and keep getting steered toward Synoloy at just about every turn, and the list you have there seems to match what I'm looking to do. I'd love to get a home DLNA server going (in-house and mobile access would be awesome), a webserver (I think this is what I want) to host my own family website, a photo dump for cloud copying all photos we take on our phones/devices (I really want to get this working automatically with our expensive SLR), and whatever other fancy things I can learn about.

That piece about hosting a website appears to be a hurdle that only the higher priced NAS's seem to cover. I want 2 or 3 HTML pages setup with a few dozen links and icons. It's really just a web based favorite bookmarks thing that I use on browsers across all my devices that I'd like to host in one spot instead of needing to copy it on each device when I want to update it. Something so simple has had me a bit puzzled for awhile now.

1. Old PC with pcie
2. buy a dell perc 5i
3. buy lots of hard drives
4. done

What Synology model are using for those tasks? I'm researching today and keep getting steered toward Synoloy at just about every turn, and the list you have there seems to match what I'm looking to do. I'd love to get a home DLNA server going (in-house and mobile access would be awesome), a webserver (I think this is what I want) to host my own family website, a photo dump for cloud copying all photos we take on our phones/devices (I really want to get this working automatically with our expensive SLR), and whatever other fancy things I can learn about.

That piece about hosting a website appears to be a hurdle that only the higher priced NAS's seem to cover. I want 2 or 3 HTML pages setup with a few dozen links and icons. It's really just a web based favorite bookmarks thing that I use on browsers across all my devices that I'd like to host in one spot instead of needing to copy it on each device when I want to update it. Something so simple has had me a bit puzzled for awhile now.

I have a DS213. 2 drives is plenty for me, but you could go DS413 if you needed more drives. It has an Apache web server built in, so hosting static HTML pages should not be an issue.

You can get quite a bit of info from the Synology Forms: http://forum.synology.com/enu/

Off topic. Use Chrome. It syncs bookmarks across any device.

I have a Synology DS212j, It has been great for me since day 1. Here's what I'm using it for...

• File Server
  • SFTP Server
  • DLNA Server
  • iTunes Server
  • Download Server (DS Download)
  • Audio Streaming (DS Audio)
  • Photo Sharing (DS Photo)

...I have nothing but good things to say about this NAS. Works great. Started out with 2x160gb drives in it because I was poor and didn't have the money for drives. Easily upgraded to 2x750gb drives. I have a 3rd 1tb drive plugged into through USB that runs backups nightly.

I was kinda bummed at first to have the entry level model that I have, but it is running great and I'm not having any problems with resources at all. My brother even has a DS112j which has a slower cpu and half the memory of mine, and even that wasn't having any problems running mostly the same apps I'm using.

I went the server route due to space and performance concerns. I'd love to have the low power draw of a NAS box but every one I've ever used has been too slow.

I have a DS213. 2 drives is plenty for me, but you could go DS413 if you needed more drives. It has an Apache web server built in, so hosting static HTML pages should not be an issue.

You can get quite a bit of info from the Synology Forms: http://forum.synology.com/enu/

Apache! Ok cool. I know what that is, but have had a bitch of a time confirming which NAS's have it. I was previously leaning toward the DS413, but then I found a helpful review on Newegg that talks about the CPU in the DS413 being a PowerPC versus the DS412+ using an x86. That means Plex doesn't exist for the DS413, but does work on the DS412+. The explanation about developers scoffing at PowerPC versus x86 made a convincing argument.

Right now I'm waffling between the DS412+ and the DS1513+. Apparently the + is an indicator of what kind of CPU is in use. I also went hunting to see if Synology has any plans for a DS413+ model, and they've repeatedly said it's not on the schedule.

See, now you've got me all twisted again because if the DS213 has Apache web server built in, then chances are good that the DS213+ does as well as their entire line of NAS's (if the low-end has it, then everything more expensive probably does too.. right? Seems legit).

I do use Chrome and I use the bookmarking feature across my phone/tab/homePC/workPC pretty regularly. The problem with that is I use it primarily for temporary easy come/easy go bookmarks. For more permanent purposes, I hate it. My HTML page that I coughed up has a grid of about 50 links designed like app icons for sites I visit on a regular basis, as well as a grid for my game collection lists all on one page. No scrolling around or worry about icons moving around in the list. Right now, the only annoyance is when I do actually make an edit to it, I have to copy the HTML file (and any new image files) across each device that has it stored locally. Having a single web page to bookmark as my homepage would be rad since updating it once means updating it all over.

Synology runs a single operating system (Diskstation Manager or DSM) on all of their Diskstation NAS devices from the low end to high. It is Linux based and runs Apache as the webserver.

From their site:
Next, there are three performance categories in the Synology DiskStation product family, denoted by how the model number ends:
The "j" series is the entry-level model and is good for budget conscious consumers who are not concerned with performance. (Example model numbers: DS112j, DS212j, etc.)
The standard workgroup series has no additional characters at the end of the model number and this line is where performance and price meet in the middle. (Example model numbers: DS213, DS413)
The "+" series are business-class models. This line is designed for heavy business use where performance is critical (Example model numbers: DS1512+, RS812RP+)
The “xs” and “xs+” series are designed for Small and Medium Businesses that need enterprise features at an affordable cost.

I actually chose the DS213 instead of the DS213+ because of the ARM processor instead of the PowerPC for similar reasons.

Synology runs a single operating system (Diskstation Manager or DSM) on all of their Diskstation NAS devices from the low end to high. It is Linux based and runs Apache as the webserver.

From their site:
Next, there are three performance categories in the Synology DiskStation product family, denoted by how the model number ends:
The "j" series is the entry-level model and is good for budget conscious consumers who are not concerned with performance. (Example model numbers: DS112j, DS212j, etc.)
The standard workgroup series has no additional characters at the end of the model number and this line is where performance and price meet in the middle. (Example model numbers: DS213, DS413)
The "+" series are business-class models. This line is designed for heavy business use where performance is critical (Example model numbers: DS1512+, RS812RP+)
The “xs” and “xs+” series are designed for Small and Medium Businesses that need enterprise features at an affordable cost.

I actually chose the DS213 instead of the DS213+ because of the ARM processor instead of the PowerPC for similar reasons.

Awesome info! Thanks for sharing that. I spent quite a bit of time looking at the different specs for items, and other areas of their site, and couldn't find a clear outline of what the model indicators meant.

I'm having trouble finding out for sure what type of CPU is in each model. Their site lists the clock speed and has checkboxes for Floating Point and Hardware Encryption, but that doesn't tell me much. I thought maybe the Floating Point checkbox meant it was an ARM x86 CPU.

Awesome info! Thanks for sharing that. I spent quite a bit of time looking at the different specs for items, and other areas of their site, and couldn't find a clear outline of what the model indicators meant.

I'm having trouble finding out for sure what type of CPU is in each model. Their site lists the clock speed and has checkboxes for Floating Point and Hardware Encryption, but that doesn't tell me much. I thought maybe the Floating Point checkbox meant it was an ARM x86 CPU.

Most of them are Atom processors.

Back