Home Exchange 2007 server port 25 blocked

coax

n00b
I have an ESXi 5.0 host server at home that I have been running AD 2008R2 and Exchange 2007 server on for years. I use Comcast for my provider and they block port 25,
I spent wasted time in the past trying to get an exception but they refuse to open 25 on my modem and want me to buy their expensive business class service. Is there any way to have a third party accept and send my mail from my server on an alternate port than relay that traffic for me on port 25?

Pretty much any mail you send (ever) will end up in the spam folder or just outright deleted. Just FYI.

Not really, you really shouldn't do that and as others have mentioned you're most likely going to get blacklisted anyway.
//Danne

On a home connection you have realized they won't open port 25 but they also won't do your reverse DNS which is necessary so your emails don't get automatically marked as spam.

Not really, you really shouldn't do that and as others have mentioned you're most likely going to get blacklisted anyway.
//Danne
If properly secured I see no reason why not to run one if you wish so, as long as it isn't an open relay then no problem. A lot of the blacklists allow you to submit your server for testing to remove it from a blacklist anyway.

Since it is Comcast home connection you would have to get your dynamic IP delisted each time it changes. Plus you would not have a PTR record.

The best way to do this is use some form of service that allows you to both reflect e-mail back to you, and for you to be able to use it as a smarthost to send out as well if you are really wanting to run your own in house exchange on a home connection.

For outbound mail you have to use the comcast SMTP servers as a smart host, outbound 25 is always blocked and as others have said you'll be blacklisted as a dynamic IP anyway. Inbound 25 last I checked could be opened if you called a specific number for their security team. You'd have to do this once a year or so since they'll inevitably make some change that blocks 25 but I did it for some years on a dynamic even after they started blocking.

I used a smart host for outgoing email and just received mail on port 25 for years until Comcast blocked it. Their dynamic public IP rarely changes and when they do I just login to Register.com and change it.
I don't need business critical levels of reliability

the pros of getting Comcast business are no data caps, compared to your capped home service plan.. just a thought (along with the other "business" perks)

Please do not run mail servers on home connections...
//Danne

Wow you sound like a corporate shill, care to elaborate?

I've been running mine at home for 5+ years now with residential cable using dynamic IPs. I'd rather have my data under my own control then hosted by any of the big companies and not knowing who they are giving access to... Outbound does have to go through a smarthost on a non-standard port, then you can setup your DNS properly so it doesn't get blocked.

I use a cheapo VPS setup with postfix as a mail relay for the server I have at my house. This way I have warm fuzzies about my data because it is located here but I get static IPs and reverse DNS because of the VPS connection.

If properly secured I see no reason why not to run one if you wish so, as long as it isn't an open relay then no problem.

This. As long as your ISP makes it possible to use port 25, all public IP addresses are otherwise equal to any other.

Being inside a 'residential' block of IPs does not get you an auto-blacklist... only if your server or network is misbehaving or misconfigured, which is your own responsibility to make sure that it isnt.

Google, yahoo as well as most other mail servers will not accept mail from your server unless your reverse ptr matches your hostname. Considering you won't be able to update your reverse on a home connection you are SOL.

If yout don't want to be able to send mail to a large majority of mail servers run your server at home.

If you want your mail server to work, run it on a vps or at least run a relay on a vps.

Google, yahoo as well as most other mail servers will not accept mail from your server unless your reverse ptr matches your hostname.

*some* ISPs will not delegate a reverse PTR to a residential address, but not all. Its up to the individual ISP.

The original statement was that you cannot/should not *ever* run a mail server from a residential IP, but that isnt true; its just up to your particular ISP, whether or not they make it possible.

Google, yahoo as well as most other mail servers will not accept mail from your server unless your reverse ptr matches your hostname. Considering you won't be able to update your reverse on a home connection you are SOL.

If yout don't want to be able to send mail to a large majority of mail servers run your server at home.

If you want your mail server to work, run it on a vps or at least run a relay on a vps.
You must have never used Cox business internet before then. You may as well just give up on trying to get those lazy asses to change your PTR. Unless you have an account rep they'll just ignore you.

You must have never used Cox business internet before then. You may as well just give up on trying to get those lazy asses to change your PTR. Unless you have an account rep they'll just ignore you.

Wtf are you talking about? I also said good luck getting anyone to change a ptr record for a home connection.....

Eye eh speaka engresh ohh kay? Yes, I said I speaka engresh! You heer meh? im'a speakin a engresh!:rolleyes:

Wtf are you talking about? I also said good luck getting anyone to change a ptr record for a home connection.....

Eye eh speaka engresh ohh kay? Yes, I said I speaka engresh! You heer meh? im'a speakin a engresh!:rolleyes:
I'm talking about their business accounts dude, not the home ones. Before attempting to insult my ability to read you should do the same and read my first sentence.

I'm talking about their business accounts dude, not the home ones, talk about learning to read I said it in the first sentence.

Who mentioned business accounts? Op stated he has a home connection.

Mentioning that cox business service reps are retards does nothing for the thread. Cool story bro'.

READ

Who mentioned business accounts? Op stated he has a home connection.

Mentioning that cox business service reps are retards does nothing for the thread. Cool story bro'.

READ
That's great and all but having your rDNS match is not going to magically have everybody not block your traffic. My point is that even with your rDNS not matching you can have a fully functioning mail server.

That's great and all but having your PTR match is not going to magically have everybody not block your traffic.

No one stated everybody, everyone including myself said "most big" including google, yahoo etc.

Thanks anyways, try again later.

No one stated everybody, everyone including myself said "most big" including google, yahoo etc.

Thanks anyways, try again later.
Yeah except they focus more on mail trends but talking about knowing how every large provider does spam detection and abuse prevention is pointless since they guard their methods so cautiously and hold them dear and secret haha.

Yeah except they focus more on mail trends.

And your ptr, and spf. Google in particular is famous for this. If everything doesn't match, refused mail for you!

Again, cool story bro'.

No hidden shit with google, they are pretty straight forward defining what is marked as spam right out of the gate.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126

All messages received by Google have to adhere to the defined standards in that guide, period. Good example of what everyone is talking about. Clearly mentions valid ptr is required.

Last edited:
^^ yup, so for those who think you are running a functioning mail server at home, with no rDNS or PTR, fact, your actually not....

Google
Hotmail
AOL

all straight out block servers with no rDNS records.

^^ yup, so for those who think you are running a functioning mail server at home, with no rDNS or PTR, fact, your actually not....

Google
Hotmail
AOL

all straight out block servers with no rDNS records.
If you have no reverse DNS record at all then yeah you will definitely be blocked for sure.

Running a cheapo VPS and using it as your mail gateway is still the best option (IMO) if you are running a server at home with a residential account. This can actually be a fairly resilient setup if you use multiple VPSes and setup them to accept but queue your mail in case your home connection drops.

Last edited:
Back