Home Cable Modem keeps resetting itself...

Despotes

Gawd

Downstream

Frequency 633000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio 37.1 dB
Power Level- 7.8 dBmV
Upstream
Frequency 24200000 Hz
Power 37.9 dBmV

From the Log:
1970-01-01 00:00:13

5-Warning D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=00:25:f1:b1:93:8e;
1970-01-01 00:00:08 6-Notice M571.1 Ethernet link up - ready to pass packets
2016-09-04 12:55:50 6-Notice M573.0 Modem Is Shutting Down and Rebooting...
2016-09-04 12:55:50 3-Critical R004.0 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance o
2016-09-04 12:55:18 3-Critical R005.0 Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
1970-01-01 00:00:17 5-Warning D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=00:25:f1:b1:93:8e;

It was doing it a few times a day for a minute, but today (just started) it's almost every 5 minutes so far. I'd lose my internet connection, then all the lights would go out on the modem and gradually come back on one at a time. 5-ish minutes later the same thing would happen.
Time Warner (SUX) and using a Motorola SB5101U.

Do I need a new modem or is it a receiving a bad signal (splitter, cable ect)?

Last edited:
T3 timeouts indicate trouble caused by low signal level or or noise from ingress. It indicates an issue between you and the node. Looking at your signal levels I would be willing to bet ingress is causing the issue. It could also be an issue with the node itself, in which case TWC may have already issued an outage. The date issues also stands out and makes me think you are loosing lock frequently.

Before you call make sure that you don't have any unterminated cable hooked up to your splitter. Unterminated ends can increase the likelihood of signal ingress. Keep in mind that an ingress problem often isn't in the customers house that is reporting problems. Most times you get some jackwagon neighbor with an amp that has a high return gain that is blasting noise back onto the trunk.

A truck roll is probably in order. Also, I believe the SB5101U is no longer supported on TWC network. While it works, it's a good time to upgrade your modem.
https://www.timewarnercable.com/con...fs/support/internet/twc-compatible-modems.pdf

You'll save several dollars a month by not paying a rental fee. Your new modem will be DOCSIS 3.0 so it will bond several channels upstream and downstream. That helps with noise and potentially speeds.

I upgraded to an Arris SB6190 and so far all is well. I currently only have the Standard Plan "Up to 15mbps/1mbps". Averaging 17-ish mbps/1.17mbps up. Crappy plan I know, but $59.99/mo is expensive just for this crap internet only plan.
When checking the "Status" online of the modem it says Channel 1 through 10 Downstream are locked and 1-4 Up are locked. Is that normal for Time Warner to do because of my plan? It's a 32 downstream channel modem.
Also, On Channel 1, it says "6" in the "Corrected" column. What does that mean?

Last edited:
Locked means your devices is locked in and using those channels. Your modem will only locked in as many channels as TWC provisions for your local TWC node and service plan.

Corrected and uncorrected refers to codewords used to serve data to your modem. Uncorrected means it couldn't figure out a particular packet. They are not indicative of an issue and you will accrue thousands of both through enough use. The only really important thing is what percentage of the total codewords they represent (and apparently that modem doesn't show total codewords anyway).

T3 timeouts indicate trouble caused by low signal level or or noise from ingress. It indicates an issue between you and the node. Looking at your signal levels I would be willing to bet ingress is causing the issue. It could also be an issue with the node itself, in which case TWC may have already issued an outage. The date issues also stands out and makes me think you are loosing lock frequently.

Before you call make sure that you don't have any unterminated cable hooked up to your splitter. Unterminated ends can increase the likelihood of signal ingress. Keep in mind that an ingress problem often isn't in the customers house that is reporting problems. Most times you get some jackwagon neighbor with an amp that has a high return gain that is blasting noise back onto the trunk.

I wish I knew more about these levels and what I was looking at when logging into the modem. I like to do troubleshooting before calling provider, ideally being able to tell them 'not my stuff, look over there'.

Back