Holy! When did this happen! Age of Empire 2 HD remake!

Wrong.

Just because you CAN spend money, doesn't mean you HAVE to spend money. Hence, free to play.

War Thunder will be free, once the 'full game' is out. Its based on a Free to Play model. Yes, you can pay, but you don't have to. You can just as easily improve your pilots skills by simply playing the game.

World of Tanks is the same principle, you don't have to spend a dime, and no one that plays with real money will have an advantage over you other then getting the next tier tanks faster.

Get your own fucking thread.

Wrong.

Just because you CAN spend money, doesn't mean you HAVE to spend money. Hence, free to play.

Effectively, yes, you do. Currently, once you max out the XP on any of the planes you own, further XP and rewards drop by 80% for all future use. I really hope they plan to fix this, because otherwise you will need that premium currency in order to fully max out your crew(and the amount of points and experience you need to do that would take easily many times the max experience you can get for the plane).

Please, let's stop acting like most microtransactions aren't there to unlock important game content. Nothing is "free".

sweet totally getting this, spent way too many hours on AOE multiplayer back in the day on the dialup. brings back memories of the dialup disconnects and reconnects during turling 4v4 games that would drag on for hours.

Master_Pain, I'm simply trying to say that $20 for something that took a guy a few weeks to make isn't good value. It's giving the wrong idea to publishers.

(Hey, we can copy a mod that some guy made for free, and charge $20 for it. Our profits will skyrocket when we only need to employ one programmer and 16 accountants.)

Stiletto, maxing out a crew is 'important game content?' Where do you get that convoluted notion from? And by the way, a crew isn't tied to a plane, you can use the same crew on any plane without paying in game creds again, once they are qualified on that plane, they are qualified for good. So, you use the same few crews for the entire nations tree. Leveling up the crew the entire time. They lose no stats or anything when you move to the next airplane. You'll slow down the trees progress, if you keep playing the same tier airplanes, but if you have maxed out the experience on those planes, you probably like those planes, and intended to just keep playing them anyway. So, does it really matter? No, no it does not.

I personally know a couple people that have got tier x tanks in world of tanks and haven't paid a single cent. They have modules for their favorite tanks, and 100% crews with a couple perks. How have they done that?? By simply playing the game. How is having the top tier tank, with a fully upgraded crew important game content again? They even sometimes buy premium ammo, as you can use in game creds for premium ammo. Please tell me how any of that is exclusive important game content that they haven't got because they haven't payed any money?

Please stop acting like the games I mentioned have important game content you have to pay for. They simply don't. It's a very jaded view on life that nothing is free, and one that I personally refuse to follow.

I think you're looking at it wrong.

For one, the game isn't open source and an unmodified copy still retains some level of monetary value.

Secondly, this is the exact precedence most people would like to set. There are many old games that I love which I would pay money to have in high definition.

Third, simply having the game on Steam is going to make multiplayer easier between my friends and I.

If a publisher is pushing out a trash game, it isn't worth 20 dollars. If they want to transition an old, very popular IP to high definition and add a little fluff to it, I'm completely on board.

Stiletto, maxing out a crew is 'important game content?' Where do you get that convoluted notion from?

From the fact that it affects things like reload speed, visibility, and blackout potential. If your plane has gunner seats, it won't even fly to its full potential until you've bought enough gunners in the crew to man them. Upgrading your crew directly affects your ability to play well, and it can give you an advantage over others in the same plane if they don't have similar upgrades.

Please stop acting like the games I mentioned have important game content you have to pay for. They simply don't. It's a very jaded view on life that nothing is free, and one that I personally refuse to follow.

That's nice. Whether you refuse to follow it or not has nothing to do with reality.

TAKE MY MONEY!

I actually bit on the whole pack with AoE3 as well, Played through the first single player game yesterday. So not only $20.00 for an old remake, but $30.00 for FTWhole thing. Some friends are picking this up too, time for some old school gaming!

and I do like the utility and convenience of having the games on Steam.

Secondly, this is the exact precedence most people would like to set. There are many old games that I love which I would pay money to have in high definition.

Haha exactly. If Blizzard gave me the option of re-buying Diablo II or StarCraft remastered in HD with updated networking/etc., I'd do it in a heartbeat. What if we could get Final Fantasy VI or VII remastered in HD? Fuck yes. There are tons of instances where I'd buy games if they were remastered.

I kind of hope this sets a trend on old game HD remakes. Would love to play Descent, Space Quest series, Leisure Suit Larry series, hell I could sit here all day and keep listing.

Haha exactly. If Blizzard gave me the option of re-buying Diablo II or StarCraft remastered in HD with updated networking/etc., I'd do it in a heartbeat. What if we could get Final Fantasy VI or VII remastered in HD? Fuck yes. There are tons of instances where I'd buy games if they were remastered.

Won't happen. Otherwise they wouldn't have given us a plate of shit with the words "Diablo III" on it.

Because the thought of ancient civilizations in HD gets you [H]?

Wicked [H]..... multiple monitor support......So hot.

Its been far too long since I have built an army of towers surrounding someones base and then laugh once they realize they are fucked.

I'm going to be buying this, no question. I'd like to see some new graphics and upgrades for Age of Mythology and AoE3 too... hope that the entire single player and cooperative campaign will be available in AOEII:HD.

That said, anyone who likes AoE, I urge you to check out Age of Empires Online. I've really had a great time with it and it is fun to play for free, but really affordable if you want to buy in and unlock the "Premium" version of a Civilization. Those who know me know that I'm really, really judgmental when it comes to "free2play" titles and monetization that I feel is not a good value, but AOEO did it right.

My dream is to have a game that plays like AOE2 but offered unlimited world area, and advancement all the way up to the inter-galactic age...

My dream is to have a game that plays like AOE2 but offered unlimited world area, and advancement all the way up to the inter-galactic age...

Rise of Nations is the closest thing to that I can think of, great game. Maps are a lot bigger than AoE, but not infinite.

I agree with both sides here, I think it's awesome that the game was remade in HD but I do thin $20 is a little high, $10 or even $15 would have hit the sweet spot. But it's still on sale so it's not much more than $15. I will definitely pick this up and it's on my wish list but just bought from dust and I am alive because they were on sale so I have to now work on 2 more games on my backlog before getting this

I agree with both sides here, I think it's awesome that the game was remade in HD but I do thin $20 is a little high, $10 or even $15 would have hit the sweet spot. But it's still on sale so it's not much more than $15. I will definitely pick this up and it's on my wish list but just bought from dust and I am alive because they were on sale so I have to now work on 2 more games on my backlog before getting this

I consider $20 on the high side of the sweet spot...especially when I think back and remember just how great this game is and how much time I have in it.

I'm sure we'll see some 25-75% off deals in upcoming seasonal sales.

I will wait when its on super sale :D but I agree, 4 pack $15 not a bad deal specially because this game is more fun with friends.

In for a 4-pack, one for me, one for my wife, one for my friend and one to give away on our fb group. Legit deal IMO. :)

Especially since I don't have any of my original old PC games from years past.

Game is released for those that pre-ordered. Been playing with friends, lots of fun! Using steam for match making is almost worth the price of admission already . Still have some slow down end game when you start getting a lot of trebuchets going, some things don't change lol.

Yeah I thought it was out later, however it was out on the 5th for pre-orders. I missed two whole days of playing!

So...I got it.

It's the same game, just with higher resolutions available...and absolutely no modification to the game to accommodate the new resolutions. I couldn't play for more than 10 minutes without getting a headache. Everything is miniscule now, and clicking on any unit is a guessing game. They did the bare minimum for this, so it is without doubt NOT worth 20 bucks. At the very most, it should have been $10...if they had updated the graphics at least minimally to account for the fact that a 1999 game was not meant to run at 1080P.

So...I got it.

It's the same game, just with higher resolutions available...and absolutely no modification to the game to accommodate the new resolutions. I couldn't play for more than 10 minutes without getting a headache. Everything is miniscule now, and clicking on any unit is a guessing game. They did the bare minimum for this, so it is without doubt NOT worth 20 bucks. At the very most, it should have been $10...if they had updated the graphics at least minimally to account for the fact that a 1999 game was not meant to run at 1080P.

I feel the same way. For one thing, there's no way to change any graphics options, or really any options that I'm aware of.

I'm using eyefinity, and couldn't adjust the resolution. Everything is freaking TINY. I pretty much have to stick my face in the screen to see anything. I would love to be able to force it to windowed mode at something more manageable like 720. They didn't do much graphical updating, so i doubt it will make a huge difference.

For what it's worth, I've enjoyed playing AoE 3 this last week waiting for it to unlock far more than the few rounds of AoE 2 HD. Would have been better off just buying it and skipping aoe2hd.

For what it's worth, I've enjoyed playing AoE 3 this last week waiting for it to unlock far more than the few rounds of AoE 2 HD. Would have been better off just buying it and skipping aoe2hd.

I have been playing AOE3 for a few years and maybe that's soured me on the previous release, but as you said and I can confirm: there is no way to change the settings to make it at all more amenable to the eye. It's such a shame, because it is STILL a great game...but this update was incredibly half-assed.

Be sure to give your feedback to the developer... hopefully they will take some of the complaints/comments to heart and get to work on a patch.

I have no real complaints, it's almost exactly what they advertised. If you bought it thinking it was something different, then you weren't paying attention.

I think it's great, having clocked countless hours on the original, this really is an improvement worth my time. I think people were expecting a new game or some shit. It's AoE II people, almost 14 years old.

My only gripe? The AI could be a little less retarded when playing SP skirmishes. However how many people bought it for that? So I'll call them out for that one claim of better AI, however all the other claims and the trailer video still stand as selling what they advertised.

I have been playing AOE3 for a few years and maybe that's soured me on the previous release, but as you said and I can confirm: there is no way to change the settings to make it at all more amenable to the eye. It's such a shame, because it is STILL a great game...but this update was incredibly half-assed.

I think AOE 3 is the weaker game...AI is better but the time period isn't very fun. I much prefer the progression from an ancient society and moving up from there, personal preference though. Not to mention wall building is so key, to have plain fort walls made the game significantly more boring (IMO).

It's the same game, just with higher resolutions available...and absolutely no modification to the game to accommodate the new resolutions. I couldn't play for more than 10 minutes without getting a headache. Everything is miniscule now, and clicking on any unit is a guessing game.

Hmm, so 1440p on a 27" monitor would be especially brutal then, I take it?

Hmm, so 1440p on a 27" monitor would be especially brutal then, I take it?

I would imagine so. 1080p on a 24" monitor...Christ. I've got glasses already, I don't need any help ruining my eyesight.

So playing on a 30" is even more of a strain then?

Well, dpi on a 30" (100.6 dpi) lies about half way between that of a 24" 1080p (91.8 dpi) and a 27" 1440p (108.8 dpi...highest commonly available desktop monitor dpi), so it would be worse than the 24" but not quite as bad as the 27".

Back