Holy shnikeys! Look at the difference in speed b/w 2 DVD drives... both SATA!

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
Holy shnikeys! Look at the difference in speed b/w 2 DVD burners... both SATA!

LG HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDRH20N copies a 4.5GB unencrypted DVD to the hard drive in 3 minutes

Optiarc DVD RW AD-7201S copies a 4.5GB unencrypted DVD to the hard drive in 6 minutes

WOW!!! Just had to share this with you guys... I mean, the LG copies the DVD in HALF the times :eek:

What program are you using to copy these disks?

I've always used the free Nero software that was included when I bought my DVD-Burners. I've always bought Lite-On(s) and never had a problem with them.

I'm just copying them using Windows 7. I'm just clicking, highlighting, and dragging.

Hmmm... what could it be?

Believe it or not but a disk being scratched can do this. Depends on the drive and how it reads the scratch. Try whiping it off and then trying it again.

interesting...my dvd drives are taking a long time in Win7 to rip a dvd. Used to take 4-6minutes and now it takes a solid 19-21min to do a full quality, no compression rip with CloneDVD+AnyDVD.

both sata drives and DMA enabled...

to the OP, i even went and purchased an IDE drive just to see if it was a SATA/Win7 problem and the drive was still slow. I dunno.

My Optiarc drive is really slow in Windows 7 as well. At first I thought it was because I was making a backup iso of Crysis Warhead, which is infected with SecuRom, but it's painfully slow with any DVD. SecuRom, CSS, unencrypted, doesn't matter. SATA interface, DMA turned on, I don't know what it's deal is.

I will tell you that I'm not buying another Optiarc drive, I'm sticking with Samsung and LG from now on.

Seems hard to find decent DVD drives, that are fast, intelligent to know when to speed up/down, quiet and well balanced.

The Optiarc 7240S is a very nice drive. I picked one up a couple of months ago and it's a speed demon. No coasters at all with TY DVD-R's

Back