HOLY SHIZZZZ!!!! - Micron 4.0TB 5100 ECO Series SATA 2.5" SSD $347

Just tested 6x on an LSI SAS card IT mode in windows 10 with a striped volume (not hardware raid). That much storage in the size of a 5.25 DVD drive is insane. Plan is to move them into a raidz1 on the server and use zfs replication to back it all up to the old raidz2 spinning disk array. Also got 2x ebay intel x540T2 10g cards and plan on doing link aggregation so the windows box can access the ZFS storage SSD array at 20G lol. Overkill? Completely, but this is [H] after all....

Attachments

• raid0-6xmicron.png
    raid0-6xmicron.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Just tested 6x on an LSI SAS card IT mode in windows 10 with a striped volume (not hardware raid). That much storage in the size of a 5.25 DVD drive is insane. Plan is to move them into a raidz1 on the server and use zfs replication to back it all up to the old raidz2 spinning disk array. Also got 2x ebay intel x540T2 10g cards and plan on doing link aggregation so the windows box can access the ZFS storage SSD array at 20G lol. Overkill? Completely, but this is [H] after all....

Not overkill at all. If you were working in a video editing house you’d want that kind of speed so that the editors, color graders, graphic designers, and effects artists could all work off the same project simultaneously.

Someone slap one in a PS4-Pro and get back to us

I though about shoving one in my BC PS3 Phatty but, honestly a 1 or 2TB would be plenty. IT has a 500gb SSD in it now, doesn't really make it faster but, some updates do go a little quicker.

That's... not even a bad idea. For those willing to deal with graphics that poor ;).

Honestly from 15 feet away my 1080p PS4 looks pretty good and more than adequate for livingroom couch time. And it's not even a Pro. I also have my 4K master race PC but I work on computers all day long and sometimes just get sick of sitting in front of one.

This week I found myself with a full 2TB hdd on the PS4 and had to go on the hunt for stuff to delete, just to install another game. The next day I cleared off a 2TB USB drive that I had used for random backup stuff and hooked it up to the PS4 for a total of 4TB, we'll see how long that lasts. The games are just stupid huge now. This 4TB SSD would have been nice to have instead (not that I want to drop $350 for that, but still).

I though about shoving one in my BC PS3 Phatty but, honestly a 1 or 2TB would be plenty. IT has a 500gb SSD in it now, doesn't really make it faster but, some updates do go a little quicker.

What are the PS3's, Sata 1? This would probably be a waste/overkill, if it even supports anything this big internally.

edit - yeah Dr Google says 2TB is the PS3 max and people with OG fat ones say 1TB.

Last edited:
I am genuinely curious what you guys store on your computers that you need so many terabytes of space. Backups of games? Movies?

My biggest consumer lately tends to be 5.7k insta 360 one x clips, tend to shoot tons of video when out shredding on boards / bikes and never end up deleting it. Mid winter can fill up a 500gb microsd card every week.

I'd think anyone that regularly flies a drone would chew through space really fast too.

I am genuinely curious what you guys store on your computers that you need so many terabytes of space. Backups of games? Movies?

A rather large personal and family library of Steam games is one culprit, combined with the average size of modern games. A 500gb drive is only good for maybe a dozen games, if more are desired I'm looking at a 1TB storage drive per gaming PC. I personally have more than 2TB of games on my PC.

In terms of my overall network, backups take up a bunch of space and the rest is consumed by PLEX.

While I don't have that much, I still have a lot and there are two major reasons, outside of just normal programs n' games n' shit:

1) Audio samples. I like to play with DAWs and the samplers therein, and those things are big. NI's Komplete 12 CE is near enough 700GB fully installed.

2) Backups. I like to keep local copies of things like installers, game mods, etc. That way I can get them back quick if I reinstall, and have them if there's an issue. Kinda silly as these days it isn't usually a problem, but whatever. So like I keep a copy of my GOG library downloaded and ready to install when I want, on a backup drive.

I shoot film and photography for a living. It’s not hard to kill 128gb in a day or more. And that’s with compressed video. At some point when I move to raw the data rates will go up by a factor of 10.

My next major purchase will likely be a 10gbe nas that I can throw 120TB or more in because the projects keep getting bigger and the storage requirements keep going one way. If I’m lucky 120TB will last me 3 years. More than likely only 2.

Movies, "adult documentary films", backups, music, everything.

And man let me tell ya, the jump to 4k media doubles everything in size. But will I ever fill up my 18tb (4x6tb raid 5 perc h700) array? Dunno. Right now everything I give a crap about fits on a single 8tb external USB drive.

But I think people that deal with real time video and uber high rez photography could chew through that pretty easy.

This is price is still available. Amazing price for 3840GB (15% overprovisioning) of SSD.

I'm using this drive in my new build as my Steam, Origin, Uplay, Battle.net, Epic games drive. I currently only have just under 700GB used but that's only because I'm half way through my billing cycle with my ISP and I've used up 75% of my quota before I get charged an overage so I've only installed my most commonly played games. Once the next billing cycle starts I'll be downloading a few more.

I also use it for video files when I'm editing. Once I'm finished I copy the final product to a standard spinner drive.

I'm using this drive in my new build as my Steam, Origin, Uplay, Battle.net, Epic games drive. I currently only have just under 700GB used but that's only because I'm half way through my billing cycle with my ISP and I've used up 75% of my quota before I get charged an overage so I've only installed my most commonly played games. Once the next billing cycle starts I'll be downloading a few more.

I also use it for video files when I'm editing. Once I'm finished I copy the final product to a standard spinner drive.

This would definitely be the drive for that- I still have what is now a fairly old 2TB MX500 (Crucial) that's serving me quite well. Zero complaints about load times.

Back